Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2016, 09:38 AM

320 posts, read 513,554 times

Advertisements

I've replaced faucets before, no problem. My kitchen had funky shut off valves that were leaking, and they were the type that connected to bare pipe and had a supply line connection on the top, so I had to bring in a pro to replace the shut off valves before I replaced the faucet.

These (bathroom) shut off valves appear to connect to a screw in connection at the end of the pipe in the wall. I'm guessing I can just (after shutting off the water) unscrew the valve and replace it with a modern one that has a connection on top for the supply line.

Those with more knowledge: is that all there is? Or is this some funky old connection that isn't the right size for the modern replacements they sell at the big orange/blue stores?

Attached Thumbnails
Can I replace these olf shut off valves myself?-img_7089-1-.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 09:55 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,889,616 times
Yes you can replace these however you should replace the compression ring that is on the copper pipe that holds the nut in place. Sometimes you can get by without doing it but it can leak around the nut if you don’t. The compression ring (on copper pipes) requires a special tool for removing it. Replace the valve with a "ball" or "quarter turn" type valve.

Old 08-21-2016, 11:42 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,074,768 times
Replacing a compression type fitting usually requires cutting off a portion of the pipe- the part that has the compression ring attached to it. And it's quite clear you don't have enough pipe to do that.

I have had some success with just replacing the valve and using brush-on Teflon sealer. But it can be hit or miss depending on how much compression was put on the original.

Old 08-21-2016, 12:39 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,552,235 times
Lots of times you can carefully cut off the old brass compression ring and install a new valve. . I have reused the old back portion of the fitting and kept the old compression ring on but that was only for last resort everything is closed its 2 am. Replaced it correctly the next day.
Get 1/4 turn valves. There is a new style of valve that shuts off the water if the water line breaks.

Old 08-21-2016, 02:55 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,889,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Replacing a compression type fitting usually requires cutting off a portion of the pipe- the part that has the compression ring attached to it. And it's quite clear you don't have enough pipe to do that.

I have had some success with just replacing the valve and using brush-on Teflon sealer. But it can be hit or miss depending on how much compression was put on the original.
Interesting,,, I agree if the pipe is “flared” at the end, then the compression ring wouldn’t come off without cutting the pipe. I’ve only seen that issue when it’s a natural gas fitting and so far never seen it on a water pipe. However they do things a little differently in different parts of the country. If the pipe doesn’t have a flared end after disconnecting the valve the simply use the compression ring removal tool and it’s off. Always clean the end of the pipe with a little abrasive paper to remove unwanted corrosion etc. then you’re good for the new compression ring after the nut is slid on first. When the nut is tightened up onto the valve the compression ring will seat and prevent a water leak near the nut without a flared end happening.

Good idea to use the brush-on Teflon sealer, I've not seen that yet so I'll look for it the next time. I’ve always had great luck with the Teflon Tape to prevent leaks at the threaded area of the valve & nut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House