Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 09:39 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,946,898 times

Advertisements

I got into cleaning mode this weekend and discovered that our closets and cupboards are overloaded a lot worse than the last time I had my cleaning spurt!

Does anyone have any experience with organizing any areas of your home that made a world of difference? I have a feeling that most of the problem is not with the amount of stuff but the way it is organized. So, if there are any gadgets, shelves, etc. that helped please let me know!

What were your worst rooms/closets/cupboards to tackle? So far, the kitchen and our hall closet is giving me major anxiety! I need to build up the courage to attack the rest of our house and get rid of stuff and organize the rest. If you have tips on what stores to go to for these gadgets, please let me know.

TIA!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 02:24 AM

475 posts, read 571,471 times
The solution to "Too much junk" is very rarely "Buy more stuff"

Old 08-30-2010, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aran View Post
The solution to "Too much junk" is very rarely "Buy more stuff"
Okay...this isn't a show on hoarders. Things aren't bad - they just feel that way to me! Drawers are in disarray, cupboards are in disarray and it would be nice if there were shelves or other organization gadgets that really did work to add more space to certain areas and allow you to keep things organized. Surely, I can't be the only one that has my pot and pan cupboards get unorganized within days of organizing them! If things are easier to keep organized, I bet they will stay organized.

I really need some space saving tips and if any of those items at the Container Store really have helped anyone. After going through the cupboards, it isn't that there is too much, things are shaped weird, and it is difficult to stack them without taking one piece out and being back at square one!

Old 08-30-2010, 07:14 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,861,543 times
Seriously, if there is stuff just stored that isn't being used, get rid of it, then organize. Yard sale, donations. It is really freeing to have some extra room.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:33 AM

Too much ****? Throw it out.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:39 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Craigslist anything of retail value and use that money to purchase your organization bins & shelves. Freecycle, donate or throw-out your other "stuff". Like eating an elephant take it one bite at a time; but, take a bite every day in order to make progress.

Just do a search for organizing links and you'll find dozens:

http://www.hgtv.com/topics/organization/index.html

http://organizing.tips.net/

http://www.simplify101.com/organizin...-your-home.php

Old 08-30-2010, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Craigslist anything of retail value and use that money to purchase your organization bins & shelves. Freecycle, donate or throw-out your other "stuff". Like eating an elephant take it one bite at a time; but, take a bite every day in order to make progress.

Just do a search for organizing links and you'll find dozens:

Organization Tips: Organizing Your Home

Organizing.Tips.Net - Useful Tips You Can Use to Organize Your World

organizing ideas for your home
That is what is so overwhelming. Everyone has tips but no one seems to show if things were a long term solution. I get the whole throwing stuff out, and selling stuff, etc. What I am seeking are organization tools like cupboard organizers, etc. I would rather not run out and buy these if they only ended up contributing to the problem. Some things seem too good to be true. Anyone on this board a great organizer?

How do you keep your cupboards organized, your drawers organized? Do you and your dh on the same page with organization? My dh definition of cleaning is shoving things into drawers and cabinets whereas mine is everything has its place. Maybe they just need better places. But, throwing out everything simply because it doesn't fit in my cupboards seems a bit premature. Our cupboards didn't seem to be built for an entire set of pots.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:13 AM

At the risk of repeating myself again, the best organizational strategy is get rid of anything you don't need. Or want. Or use. Or have a use for.

Simply buying stuff to sort the abundance of excess isn't going to help the situation - clearly, if it's bad enough that you're asking this on a public forum, no, a few little organizers won't be a long-term solution for you as your problem isn't being solved by rearranging. In fact, it'll likely make it worse because it'll be more mass added in and then you move on to justifying adding a few more things here and there because hey now there's more space!

Trust me, I'm not speaking theoretically here. This is all experience talking.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aran View Post
At the risk of repeating myself again, the best organizational strategy is get rid of anything you don't need. Or want. Or use. Or have a use for.

Simply buying stuff to sort the abundance of excess isn't going to help the situation - clearly, if it's bad enough that you're asking this on a public forum, no, a few little organizers won't be a long-term solution for you as your problem isn't being solved by rearranging. In fact, it'll likely make it worse because it'll be more mass added in and then you move on to justifying adding a few more things here and there because hey now there's more space!

Trust me, I'm not speaking theoretically here. This is all experience talking.
I think you misunderstand me. I was joking about the hoarding - I was just overwhelmed a bit with trying to get ready for a trip and get my house organized which is my ritual before all trips - my dh just likes to put things away, not necessarily in places they belong whereas I like everything to have a place and when you are three days from departing, it is a bit overwhelming to say the least to see things in disarray. Short of putting labels on every shelf, cupboard, closet, etc. I would like solutions to how you got your closets to look more presentable, your cupboards, etc.

Yes, we could probably get rid of a few things here and there but my main problem is that I can't keep things organized. I use all my pans but they don't fit very well in my cupboards. Certainly others have dealt with that...I am not going to throw out everything so I can find miniature pots and pans to fit in cupboards.

I will certainly get rid of things if I find that I need to but right now I just need suggestions as to how others keep their things actually organized? Such as using bins for spices, pull out shelves for dishes, etc. Storage containers for all baking items, etc.

I know you mean well Aran, but you aren't answering my questions but thanks for the suggestion to just throw everything away. I wish I could do that but I actually use most of my kitchen stuff weekly.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:44 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
I think you misunderstand me. I was joking about the hoarding - I was just overwhelmed a bit with trying to get ready for a trip and get my house organized which is my ritual before all trips - my dh just likes to put things away, not necessarily in places they belong whereas I like everything to have a place and when you are three days from departing, it is a bit overwhelming to say the least to see things in disarray. Short of putting labels on every shelf, cupboard, closet, etc. I would like solutions to how you got your closets to look more presentable, your cupboards, etc.

Yes, we could probably get rid of a few things here and there but my main problem is that I can't keep things organized. I use all my pans but they don't fit very well in my cupboards. Certainly others have dealt with that...I am not going to throw out everything so I can find miniature pots and pans to fit in cupboards.

I will certainly get rid of things if I find that I need to but right now I just need suggestions as to how others keep their things actually organized? Such as using bins for spices, pull out shelves for dishes, etc. Storage containers for all baking items, etc.

I know you mean well Aran, but you aren't answering my questions but thanks for the suggestion to just throw everything away. I wish I could do that but I actually use most of my kitchen stuff weekly.
Yes, organization accessories have their use and place. You have to do your own research knowing what you have, what you can rid yourself of, your space available, etc... . I have a rack that I can stack plates/bowls and hang coffee cups from that more than doubles my effective cabinet space. I have a shelf/pull-out combo for under my sink to organize cleaning products. I have an in-drawer wood knife rack that frees up my counter top space. These items work but if your cabinets and drawers are so crammed full that you cannot make them work you must reduce your inventory of gadgets. YOU have to do your own research to figure out what best suits your own needs.

Go through magazines, online websites, browse around at box stores, hardware stores, kitchen stores for organizational items. If you don't want to spend money make these organizers yourself out of things you already have in your home. Be creative.

http://www.freshfinds.com/index.cfm/...-85d19b038f21/

http://www.monkeysee.com/play/13653-...-in-the-pantry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House