Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2010, 04:14 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,223,823 times

Advertisements

C'mon, if you built a backyard tree house for your kids, weren't you ever tempted to keep it for yourself?

I Googled "adult tree houses" and got over 97,000 images so people are out there building these things and actually living in them as adjunct rooms or separate MIL-style cabins. Check out some of the pictures!

Has anyone here done this? I'd like to hear some feedback about your experiences, especially concerning hoops you have to jump through (permits, wetlands exemptions, etc.)

I'm coming full circle to how I grew up. My Dad built me a tree house in two massive oak trees in the Sixties because it didn't need a permit in our area of Oregon, having no foundation. I climbed up a spiral staircase to a landing on a deck surrounding a one-room tree house with wood stove, desk, closet, dresser, and single bed, with built-in bookshelves lining the walls. Crank windows let in air and sunlight. The outhouse was out back in the brush. It was MAGICAL.

Of course, I was more worried in my teen years about being perceived as weird by my peer group and didn't appreciate what I had. Long gone, now... So now that I'm retired and on some acreage with big trees, I'd like to try again. (It's the kid in me...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 04:20 PM

1,122 posts, read 1,087,797 times
WOW..The thought never crossed my mind until NOW!!! Growing up in the 60-70's as well, I had a friend who had a tree house and yes it was magical, although yours sounded like a bed and breakfast..lol
I'm not sure what the regs are toward building a treehouse, why is there one anyways? I think it would be soooo neat to have an adult treehouse. I'm going to goggled it. Thanks for the thought, my husband is going to think I lost it. AGAIN>>>

Old 09-18-2010, 05:04 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,027,479 times
There was a show on cable dedicated to expensive tree houses. And there were a lot that were jaw dropping.

There's one that spans a lot of trees with different houses that are connected by bridges up high. I swear it looks like a movie set.

Old 09-18-2010, 05:04 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,223,823 times
Thanks! Even celebrities are doing this:

Val Kilmer’s Treehouse Is Pretty Damn Cool « ecorazzi.com :: the latest in green gossip

I want one!

Old 09-18-2010, 05:22 PM

970 posts, read 2,969,028 times
If my HOA wouldn't rip my face off for putting up a treehouse, I would totally do this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House