Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2007, 09:26 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times

Advertisements

I have a full bath in the basement. Doing renovations there and the shower stall has rust/something coming up from the pipes. My h. thinks they can just put a snake down there and clean it out? Is this the case?

I know it could be roots but I refuse to tear a tree down. We get water through the city- can they help me with this- help- any plumbers out there??!

sunny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 05:02 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
If there are roots in there they will just cut up the roots. It won't hurt the tree. If you find that is your problem you will just have to have your line cleaned out every year or two. It isn't a big deal.

Old 07-03-2007, 09:59 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
ok thanks! I am imagining the worst- I hope that's all it is!

Old 07-03-2007, 01:42 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,749,873 times
Umm, this rust is coming from the water supply pipes?

That would mean that if you have a root problem, that the main pipe coming into your house, (which, by the way, would be under about 75 psi), would have a hole in it. A hole in your supply pipe requires the yard dug up and a new pipe installed.

The good news is, it's very unlikely your supply pipe is compromised. If it were you'd have the rust issue in all your taps throughout the house.

Rust coming out the shower supply pipes could be from a number of factors.

You say you've doing renovations. If you've recently drained your hot water tank, the act of refilling it could stir up sediment from the bottom of the tank.

If you've been cutting or banging around the existing plumbing, those actions could have caused scale buildup on the interior walls of the pipes to break loose.

Is your house old enough to have glavanized steel pipes rather than copper? If so, the rust could be an indication that some of your interior piping is in need of replacement.

If the problem only started when the renovations were taking place, I'd say the most likely culprit is either sediment from the hot water tank or from the walls of the pipes. Thoroughly flushing the pipes should take care of the issue if either of those are the causes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House