Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2010, 07:46 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,003,203 times

Advertisements

Uh! I am so confused. I've had one guy working on my house and it's been seven weeks and things still aren't done. We're talking just laying down laminate and I have two concrete sunken steps in one bedroom that are curved. The guy who has been working on my house does not want to square off the concrete, saying it would need iron and he'd have to charge me $1500 just to do this. Guy #1 takes forever, is unreliable, but cheap.

Then I have guy #2 who will complete the rest of the job and square off the steps with concrete and do the rest of the job for $900. This involves laying one more room of laminate and all base boards and quarter strips. He says the steps should be squared off.

Who is right? At this point I just want it done right. It would be easier if I could figure out my digital camera and post the pic, but maybe this is enough info?

Thanks for any input! They both think they are doing this job and I need to move fast, but don't know which way to go! No, nothing in writing but I've had a good relationship with guy #1 I don't want to lose, but guy #2 is a nice guy too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 07:58 PM

BTW, I just realized I posted about this before, but before squaring off wasn't proposed. I am concerned about the strength of laminate over a curviture if the laminate is cut straight.

OMG, I don't know why this is bothering me so much. It's not like I'm dating or sleeping with two men here! It's just that I want to be fair and not screw around with either one and get the job done right!

Old 11-24-2010, 10:34 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,892,818 times
If you want the stairs to match with laminate, then go with #2 and get it done.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
If you want the stairs to match with laminate, then go with #2 and get it done.
What does this even mean? You are dealing with someone who scored in the 13th percentile for mechanical aptitude. Please explain and thanks!

Old 11-26-2010, 11:17 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,892,818 times
I mean go with contractor #2 you mention in the original post. Get the job the way you want it done and you will be happy instead of settle for something less than you want.

Old 11-26-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
I mean go with contractor #2 you mention in the original post. Get the job the way you want it done and you will be happy instead of settle for something less than you want.
Thanks, I re-read and it made sense. I don't know why I waffled so much over this issue - I guess it's because I've known guy #1 for so long and didn't want to let him down.

I did call Home Depot and actually spoke with a guy who was excellent in flooring (one does not always have that type of experience at Home Depot). He convinced me what I thought - that the steps need to be squared off. So I was still so torn that it took me forever to tell guy #1 I'd be moving on. He either didn't get my voice mail or ignored it and came over anyway. Ugh! I think he brought his (uninsured) worker with him and I just won't take that risk anymore.

At any rate, I don't have any TV or sofa to even sit on (quite uncomfortable), but I'll make the best of it. Thanks to all who replied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House