Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 06:24 PM

842 posts, read 2,588,016 times

Advertisements

I am looking into changing out all the incandescent recess bulbs to CFL recess bulbs in the house and am trying to find the brightest and best priced ones that I can get. Are there any recommendations as to which ones to use? Lowes sells a daylight brand that I like (called bright effect) but I saw on the internet where some of them burn out before a year despite the fact that they should last 9 years (bummer).

Here is an example of the size ones that I am looking for .. not necessarily the same brand as I would be looking for something that is also cost effective as I have quite a number of them to change out. Any feedback guys?

Amazon.com: Globe 4408201 23-Watt BR40 Compact Fluorescent Indoor Flood Light Bulb, 4 Pack: Home Improvement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 06:43 PM

67 posts, read 157,351 times
Usually I prefer Lowe's products. However, we purchased from Lowe's a batch of CFL's like the ones in the link you provided. They were not good quality. Likely made in China so I didn't fault Lowe's but we won't buy them again and neither should Lowe's. We purchased our first batch of CFL's approximately 6 years ago and some are still burning - even some of the ones that get alot of use. I don't know the brand name of the Home Depot CFL's. Sorry! Maybe some one at Home Depot who has been working there a while will know what brand to buy.

Happy Shopping. :-)

Old 01-03-2011, 08:19 PM

2,905 posts, read 5,922,014 times
I bought a ton of the indoor floods (and other shapes) from 1000bulbs.com over the past several years. They're bright, match incandescent for light warmth (2700K, but they offer others) and last a long time. They were pretty expensive several years ago but the reduction in my power bill and longer life have more than made up for it, and they're getting cheaper all the time. Been pleased with the quality of their "cheaper" bulbs.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:27 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,776,945 times
A little non-science:

8 CFL's from the same box were installed in my home at the same time. One in a front porch lamp, one in an over-the-sink enclosure in a bathroom, two in table lamps and the rest in recessed cans.

The CFL in the enclosure in the bathroom failed within a year, all but one of the CFL's in the recessed cans failed within 18 months and the CFL's in the lamps and on the front porch are still going strong after three years.

The bulbs still in operation are all right-side-up. The bulbs that failed were all upside down.

The bulbs still in operation have open tops. The bulbs that failed were in enclosures with a barrier above.

The bulbs still in operation are typically switched on and off infrequently (although left on for long periods). The bulbs that failed were typically switched on and off frequently.

The bulb that failed first was upside down, in an enclosure with a barrier above, typically switched on and off frequently and in a humid environment.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:52 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
A little non-science:

8 CFL's from the same box were installed in my home at the same time. One in a front porch lamp, one in an over-the-sink enclosure in a bathroom, two in table lamps and the rest in recessed cans.

The CFL in the enclosure in the bathroom failed within a year, all but one of the CFL's in the recessed cans failed within 18 months and the CFL's in the lamps and on the front porch are still going strong after three years.

The bulbs still in operation are all right-side-up. The bulbs that failed were all upside down.

The bulbs still in operation have open tops. The bulbs that failed were in enclosures with a barrier above.

The bulbs still in operation are typically switched on and off infrequently (although left on for long periods). The bulbs that failed were typically switched on and off frequently.

The bulb that failed first was upside down, in an enclosure with a barrier above, typically switched on and off frequently and in a humid environment.
Interesting. I've had 3 CFL's in a row fail in the past two weeks in the same outdoor fixture, handing upside down. In contrast I have and indoor CFL that is in its 3rd year in a cailing fixture, also hangs upside down. However, that one would be the exception, the other interior fixtures in which the CFL must hang upside down have also failed fairly quickly, though not as quickly as the exterior.

Anyone have any correlating info about exterior CFLs in cold weather? I'm wondering if that is the reason my new ones are failing so quickly outside. The fixture is on a day/night sensor.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:20 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,078,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Interesting. I've had 3 CFL's in a row fail in the past two weeks in the same outdoor fixture, handing upside down. In contrast I have and indoor CFL that is in its 3rd year in a cailing fixture, also hangs upside down. However, that one would be the exception, the other interior fixtures in which the CFL must hang upside down have also failed fairly quickly, though not as quickly as the exterior.

Anyone have any correlating info about exterior CFLs in cold weather? I'm wondering if that is the reason my new ones are failing so quickly outside. The fixture is on a day/night sensor.
CFLs are typically not cold weather rated due to ballast issues (the ballast is used to start the bulb). You can buy CFLs with a "cold weather ballasts" but last time I looked they were pretty pricey.

In spite of that, we've had decent success with regular CFLs outside. The upside down ones do seem to fail earlier ...

Frank

Old 01-04-2011, 07:46 AM

842 posts, read 2,588,016 times
Default What to Do

Hmmmm .... some pretty interesting information here. Good food for thought I wonder if I should be looking for bulbs not made in China or is that wishful thinking?

Old 01-04-2011, 08:17 AM

621 posts, read 2,326,336 times
the thing i cant get over with CFLs is eventhe dimmable ones, don't dim good enough. I went back to regular incandescent

Old 01-04-2011, 08:59 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,982,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerican View Post
Hmmmm .... some pretty interesting information here. Good food for thought I wonder if I should be looking for bulbs not made in China or is that wishful thinking?
Probably wishful thinking. Even the American brands are made there, because as cheap as an automated factory can product products here in the USA, it's even cheaper for an automated factory in China to produce.

At my parent's place, the oldest CFL in use came from Ikea in the late 90's. IIRC, it was made in Hungary. I can't say how well their current ones hold up since they've changed suppliers since then, but they have a 3 year warranty on them (just bring it back with a receipt), so I suppose they're pretty confident that at least they'd last that long.

IKEA | Warranty Information

I'm almost a year and a half in on mine's ... they're the only local place which carries CFLs for the small chandelier-type bulb bases.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:13 AM

268 posts, read 1,067,408 times
Wow. I have one in an eyeball fixture over my shower that has been on continuously for 3 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
A little non-science:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House