Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2010, 08:55 PM

759 posts, read 3,689,043 times

Advertisements

Beginning the planning stages of a full kitchen reno. I'm intrigued by these zero radius sinks. The only con I see if that it might be harder to get the corners perfectly clean. Thoughts? It looks to me like they only come in stainless steel.

My last sink was stainless steel and I swore I wouldn't have another one... but I might be rethinking that. What's the current sink material of choice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 12:30 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,313,683 times
I don't know a single thing about zero radius, but I shelled out for an expensive stainless steel sink (not one from HD) two years ago and it already looks awful. I don't have kids. I don't cook every day. I never once used an acid cleaner like orange-whatever on it (Barkeeper's Friend only). But it's already scratched, dented, and it has places where the steel has discolored with ghostly shadows. I'll never buy another one. I've lived in apartments with 40-year-old cast iron sinks that looked better.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:51 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,290,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I don't know a single thing about zero radius, but I shelled out for an expensive stainless steel sink (not one from HD) two years ago and it already looks awful. I don't have kids. I don't cook every day. I never once used an acid cleaner like orange-whatever on it (Barkeeper's Friend only). But it's already scratched, dented, and it has places where the steel has discolored with ghostly shadows. I'll never buy another one. I've lived in apartments with 40-year-old cast iron sinks that looked better.
I wonder if your sink is defective. I have had stainless sinks since I was a kid and never had issues with dents, scratches or stains. I wipe the sink with dish soap after using and it is just fine.

OP, I would have to agree that getting into the corners of that sink might be an issue.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:37 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,540,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I wonder if your sink is defective. I have had stainless sinks since I was a kid and never had issues with dents, scratches or stains. I wipe the sink with dish soap after using and it is just fine.

OP, I would have to agree that getting into the corners of that sink might be an issue.
When we renovated our kitchen, I remember researching sinks and the stainless steel gauge (thickness), and grade plays a part on how well the sink holds up. It could be that the person purchased a thinner gauge and/or lower quality steel sink, so it didn't hold up very well.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:09 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Default Technically speaking...

You can get the "zero radius" (true square corner) sink made out of soapstone, concrete or other stone / stone like materials.

Lookswise they are nicely industrial, functional pluses are maximum interior flat area for stacking your biggest commercial size / style cookware and such. Downside is mostly in the extra difficultly for manufacture -- the process of forming the joints or "drawing the seams" is a bit more demanding than making smoothly curved corners.

Cleanup is no more difficult, and assuming the alloy is truely a high quality SS of appropriate gauge then durability is a not factor.

Costs from many makers is running much higher, some argue this is due to more precise handling required, while others say it is a way to capitalize on higher end tastes...

Old 09-08-2010, 03:21 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,935,595 times
I am very happy with my stainless zero radius kitchen sink, one year old so far and its great. Bought it on Ebay...great deal. More room, contempoary , and 16 gauge I think. Don't buy the light gauge ones, I think they are 22 or 24 gauge. easy clean up, no problem with staining when you keep it clean as everyone should anyway.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:30 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,922,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
I am very happy with my stainless zero radius kitchen sink, one year old so far and its great. Bought it on Ebay...great deal. More room, contempoary , and 16 gauge I think. Don't buy the light gauge ones, I think they are 22 or 24 gauge. easy clean up, no problem with staining when you keep it clean as everyone should anyway.
The heavy gauge SS sinks hold up quite well. The less expensive and lighter SS sinks scratch easily. My parent's house is 45 yrs old with original SS sinks that still look great.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:12 AM

1 posts, read 7,118 times
I love my SD2233 Undermount 90 Degree Double Equal Bowl Stainless Steel Sink from Shop Sinks and Faucets. My wife was worried that this sink would look too commercial in our laundry room but we both agree that it worked out great. She likes the brushed finish and I like that it is deep enough to use for anything. I wish I would have found your website when we did our kitchen last year.[/b]

Mod Cut: New Member Link

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 03-17-2011 at 12:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House