Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 05:57 AM

1,946 posts, read 7,370,923 times

Advertisements

Hello. After getting pricing ideas for painting the interior of my house, I'd like to try it myself ! The main concern is the two story foyer. I know I can get an extended handled roller, but how do you do the prep work, the taping and all from the floor level? I don't see myself up on a scaffold . How do people typically do this? A super high ladder? If so, how much do those run - a couple of hundred bucks? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 06:15 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Rent scaffolding.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:25 AM

8,409 posts, read 7,402,622 times
Might be one of the few times it pays to hire a professional...especially if you have no head for heights.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:39 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
You can rent really tall ladders and Home Depot but using them is pretty hairy. I rented one to change light bulbs on a chandelier in a two story foyer. I was nervous as hell being up there.

Hire someone.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:47 AM

792 posts, read 4,487,051 times
It's not possible to do it from floor level unless you have go-go-gadget arms. You have to use scaffolding or else ladders. One of these ladders in an A-configuration can probably get you up high enough and they are sturdy so you shouldn't feel too unsafe. Obviously you can't lean a ladder up against the wall while you are trying to paint.

Shop Werner 22' Type IA Aluminum Multi Position Ladder (300 lb. Capacity) at Lowes.com

Old 03-18-2011, 07:41 AM

738 posts, read 2,956,082 times
Similar to the ladder that dedratermi posted, I use a 17ft multi-position ladder that Walmart carries-
Walmart.com: Cosco 17' World's Greatest Ladder: Tools

In the A-Frame configuration though those will never get high enough, so you do have to open it all the way and lean it against the wall. I generally just paint from the top down so that the ladder isn't leaning against the fresh paint, and lower it as I get near the ladder level. It is annoying to paint from that height because you can't reach very far with the ladder, so lots of climbing up and down and repositioning the ladder an arms length over and repeating.

I had to paint our high foyer, stairway, and cathedral ceilings this way (18-20ft)

Good luck and be safe!

Old 03-18-2011, 09:35 AM

792 posts, read 4,487,051 times
I did my 2-story stairwell with the 22' ladder in the A configuration. I had to stand on the very top rungs to be able to reach up and cut in with a brush. But I could go down a rung or two when it came time to roll since my roller was on an extension. The 17' ladder would probably not be tall enough as an A.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:26 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,944,880 times
I use a 24' ladder regularly and find using a ladder stand-off sometimes adds both stability and distance into the room to allow some tasks like replacing a ceiling fan, cleaning a large high chandelier. The tall ladder is used to clean high windows and gutters.

I bought the ladder over ten years ago for a project and have found it has been useful regularly.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:39 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,530,555 times
One of my houses has 17' ceilings. I enjoy painting and am comfortable painting at that height. If you are not, then hire it done.

If you are, you may want to list a few things, such as the actual height, and how open or closed the foyer is, and if there are steps involved. All these things may make a difference.

In a closed foyer it may be difficult to use an extension pole, and then scaffolding whould be the better choice. If you have the room, then a ladder would suffice.

First, clean the walls, corners and ceiling. If there is any patching, prime those patches by stippling. Then do all cutting in around the ceiling first. Then roll the ceiling. If you need to paint around a center light fixture, you may need scaffolding, dependent on how high, what type of ladders you have, etc.

After the ceiling is done, cut around the walls, corners, above the base molding, etc. Then roll the walls. Check to see if you need to redo the cutting in. Then roll again if needed.

Paint usually looks better after priming, dependent on coverage, color, etc. Don't buy cheap paint. Labor is the most costly part of painting...and better paint means less labor and a better finish after.

If there are any windows, ceiling fans, etc, clean them first while you have the equipment to do so. Enjoy!

Frank

Old 03-18-2011, 10:47 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,535,704 times
This is a job I would totally hire out. After buying/renting tools, ladders, etc. you might as well have spent the money on a pro to knock it out in short time. What would be worse is buying/renting all that crap and then realizing you can't/don't want to do it afterall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House