Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 07:35 AM

2 posts, read 6,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholar View Post
We did this several years ago, and we love it!

We had our heat and air guy run another vent to the garage. Make sure your heat/ air unit is large enough to handle the extra square footage. You may need to put in a return air vent, so air can circulate. No big deal. Sorry, I don't remember the cost, but you can always get bids.

As far as construction, we came in from the garage door about a yard (give or take) and built a wall with a door. A box of sorts was built that went from the top of new wall to the ceiling, allowing the garage door to be opened. This is a popular way of enclosing the garage where we live, and it is nice that the walls can be removed so the rooms can be converted back to garages if the owner needs to sell.

There are options that are available to save money, too. I understand that sometimes it isn't practical for a family to add on to a home. It's nice for someone to have $40k to sink into a garage conversion project, but I can't image that it has to cost that much -- or that it should, especially since it won't be permanent. We didn't spend a fraction of that amount on our garage, and it is as usable and comfortable of a space as any room in our home. However, costs probably differ according to geographies.
can you post pics of your box you built around the rails, did this make the room really low. like the idea for much needed space.
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 07:37 AM

2 posts, read 6,042 times
can you post pics of the box you built around the rail . like this idea.
thanks

Old 03-10-2013, 02:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,897 times
For a single garage, I am considering a floating/sliding wall 3-5' inside the garage door. Not higher than 5'9" so won't need permit. Already have access door to carport and a window. Think about those new electric heaters that look like fireplaces for comfort. I live in area AC not needed.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:58 AM

4,280 posts, read 12,670,274 times
I was recently in another home here in my HOA that had done the garage conversion and used the room as an exercize/office room. They built a false wall in front of the garage door and the garage door runners/door opener are stored behind the false wall and garage door.

I was also reminded that the original model office had done a conversion also but as it was done during construction so they were able to add a window.

Old 05-30-2016, 12:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,005 times
Does anybody have an estimate of how much it will cost to convert my 2car garage into an in-laws suite in port Charlotte area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House