Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2011, 09:28 AM

22 posts, read 73,053 times

Advertisements

I currently live in NJ and I am building a home in coastal NC. I told the builder I wanted a gas furnace rather than a heat pump. He is recommending a hybrid system. Can anyone tell me the pro's and con's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 01:53 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,707,466 times
A hybrid will be overall more efficient than either individually. A heat pump works most efficiently within a certain temperature band. For instance, most heat pumps only work at max efficiency down to say around 45 degrees. After that point, they lose their efficiency and can't heat the home. Normally at that point an electric heater would kick in to help, but these are terribly inefficient. In a hybrid system they substitute a gas or oil furnace for the electric element.

Heat pumps are real common in more temperate climates like the Carolinas, since average temps remain in the efficient band throughout the year. Basically buying the hybrid would give you the best of both worlds and those types of systems are becoming common even in the NE.

The only drawback to the hybrid would be the initial cost.

Old 04-21-2011, 02:24 PM

1,496 posts, read 3,386,817 times
I think it depends if you are going to occupy the house all year around or just dring the warmer months. Go with the heat pump if you are going to be there from April through Oct. If you shut it down Nov through March why would you need a back up? If you plan to go during the colder months go with your gas back up.

Old 04-21-2011, 04:32 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,084,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF1974 View Post
I currently live in NJ and I am building a home in coastal NC. I told the builder I wanted a gas furnace rather than a heat pump. He is recommending a hybrid system. Can anyone tell me the pro's and con's.

A hybrid system is a heat pump!
You just have to decide what fuel to use for the emergency backup- electric or gas.
The other things to consider on the h/p- air or geothermal, SEER rating, Manual J calc+Manual D calc, to get to the Manual S calc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House