Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 11:36 AM

73 posts, read 178,437 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I need some advice on an electrical problem with my house. I own a two story Lennar home in Henderson. Yesterday my master bathroom vanity light and exhaust fan stopped working. The house is 6 years old and we've been living in it for just over two years. The odd thing is the receptacles in the bathroom still work and the closet light and toilet room light and exhaust fan work. I thought maybe the two switchs were bad so I changed those today. Still not working. I did reset all the circuit breakers outside and just incase I reset all our gfci's. Still nothing. If anyone has any electrical experience and maybe could steer me in the right direction or know an honest and good electrician Id appreciate any help. Thanks for reading my thread.

lasvegasguy69@gmail.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 08:56 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,639,977 times
there is a device they sell at home depot its like $30, you plug it in, and you can trace the line back to the meter.. maybe you should buy that and see if you can trace the problem before spending $$ on a electrician.

I used a guy I found on craigslist, he was on the expensive side but did good work.

DM me for his info

Jonathan

Old 07-03-2011, 10:58 AM

174 posts, read 970,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equalizir View Post
Hi all, I need some advice on an electrical problem with my house. I own a two story Lennar home in Henderson. Yesterday my master bathroom vanity light and exhaust fan stopped working. The house is 6 years old and we've been living in it for just over two years. The odd thing is the receptacles in the bathroom still work and the closet light and toilet room light and exhaust fan work. I thought maybe the two switchs were bad so I changed those today. Still not working. I did reset all the circuit breakers outside and just incase I reset all our gfci's. Still nothing. If anyone has any electrical experience and maybe could steer me in the right direction or know an honest and good electrician Id appreciate any help. Thanks for reading my thread.

lasvegasguy69@gmail.com
Are you sure you checked every GFI in the house? I had a similar problem when I first moved here 6 years ago. I did exactly what you did and later called an electrician. What I didn't know was that the GFI that controlled my bathroom was attached to the wall socket in my garage! Expensive call for the push of a button. Check surrounding locations for another GFI switch.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:22 AM

HEY how come WE Brooklynites, are the only ones helping this guy out??

frigin A

Jonathan

Old 07-03-2011, 11:26 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
cause yer tryin to earn the right to live here....
You do know the difference between someone from Gnu Yawk and somone from Las Vegas dont you?

A Las Vegan says "Excuse me please hold the elevator."
A Gnu Yawker says "YO DICKWIPE HOLD THE F'N CAH."

Old 07-03-2011, 11:52 AM

174 posts, read 970,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
You do know the difference between someone from Gnu Yawk and somone from Las Vegas dont you?

S'cuse me. New Yorkers don't say "Cah". Must be confusing us with those Boston Cream Puffs. Plus I ain't from Nu Yawk no more.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:57 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Brooklynite View Post
S'cuse me. New Yorkers don't say "Cah". Must be confusing us with those Boston Cream Puffs. Plus I ain't from Nu Yawk no more.
exfnscuse Meeeee

I really hate to burst everyones bubble, but Gnu Yawkers are among the nicest people I have met.I lived for 8 yrs in Gnu Joisey and my only sanity was from trips to Da City.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:52 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
There are a couple of things to try. First off it is unlikely though not impossible that the lights are on a gfi. Certainly worth a hunt though to make sure there is not a popped gfi in some weird location.

You can try the brute force method. Check the connections to the devices that are not working. Normally these things are daisy chained. So someplace the daisy chain is broken.

Next try and see if you can figure out the breaker for the bad circuit. I would not be surprised if it is not the same branch circuit as the commode closet or some other stuff. Likely you will have to get it by the process of elimination...as it is not working. But if there are only one or two breakers that are possible it gives a clue.

Then check the connections on each of the other devices on the circuit.

The easy was to do this is with a circuit tracker. You can buy one and do it the easy way but it is 60 or 70 for a reasonably good one. Hardware store or Fry's

I have a reasonably good electrician if you want to go that way. He always ends up charging about $100.

Old 07-03-2011, 01:29 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,501,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post

Reminds me of a Jackie Martling joke: What has 6 legs and 6 eyes and goes "HO DEE DO...HO DEE DO"?

Spoiler
3 black guys running for the open elevator!

Old 07-03-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Reminds me of a Jackie Martling joke: What has 6 legs and 6 eyes and goes "HO DEE DO...HO DEE DO"?

Spoiler
3 black guys running for the open elevator!
Can I ADD YOU to my ignore list now??

Jonathan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House