Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 10:41 AM

629 posts, read 3,599,109 times

Advertisements

All the upstairs lights go out and come back on when I turn on the disposall in the kitchen. They might stay off 3 days or 3 minutes! We ran the disposall to it's own breaker and replaced every light switch and outlet in the house. Then we replaced the rest of the breakers! It still does it! HELP????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 10:48 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
lights go off/ stay off- breaker still on?
What is the relationship of the disposal breaker to the lights breaker?
What is the relationship of the feeds leaving the panel?

Old 02-25-2008, 10:55 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,957,822 times
Sounds like there may be a connection in a box you cannot see. Maybe a vibration or temperature change is making the connection intermittent.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:06 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times
Also make sure you didn't knock the neutral to the upstairs lighting circuit loose when you were in the panel.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:35 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,753,766 times
The disposal should be on its own circuit anyway.

DH, the electrician, says it sounds like there is a short somewhere, especially having things go off and on without tripping breakers. Have you traced it out or had someone come out for troubleshooting? It sounds like you need to bring in an electrician and have this traced out. DH is all for giving advice when he can, but this is one that he says can't be diagnosed online. He is pretty sure you have a short - somewhere. If I recall you live in a very old house, which means it could be anywhere. There could be hidden junction boxes, there could be old wires. Find a competent service electrician who is good at troubleshooting. Don't let them send out a construction/commercial guy who is slow (on work) right now. Not to disparage construction guys, they are good at what they do but a residential service guy will be more experienced in troubleshooting. We've seen this with a plumber we hired recently. They gave us a commercial construction guy who didn't understand residential construction and remodeling. DH was explaining residential framing to him LOL

Last edited by rubytue; 02-25-2008 at 07:46 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 02-26-2008, 03:08 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,551,138 times
Its got to be a short.

2 weeks before our buyers were to take occupancy of our house in MI - ALL the lights on 1 circuit in the master bath went out. I had wired the switches (upgraded to the flat toggle switches) myself 2 years earlier - and it was a tight fit due to the number of switches and the size of the box. For 48 hours I did nothing but wire/rewire/rewire those switches. I could occasionally get one or two lights on - but never all of them.

The new owners took occupancy, and out of the deposit money (we lived in the house for 2 weeks after they closed on it - so we had deposit with them for damages) they hired an electrician. Apparently there was a short in the outside GFCI line - and it somehow caused the bathroom lights to not work (no - they were not on a GFCI circuit).

BIZARRO Stuff!!! Electric is great when it works fine - but once shorts happen, they make everything non-sensical.

Get an electrician to find the short !! good luck!

Old 02-26-2008, 03:23 PM

27,347 posts, read 27,400,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubytue View Post
The disposal should be on its own circuit anyway.

DH, the electrician, says it sounds like there is a short somewhere, especially having things go off and on without tripping breakers. Have you traced it out or had someone come out for troubleshooting? It sounds like you need to bring in an electrician and have this traced out. DH is all for giving advice when he can, but this is one that he says can't be diagnosed online. He is pretty sure you have a short - somewhere. If I recall you live in a very old house, which means it could be anywhere. There could be hidden junction boxes, there could be old wires. Find a competent service electrician who is good at troubleshooting. Don't let them send out a construction/commercial guy who is slow (on work) right now. Not to disparage construction guys, they are good at what they do but a residential service guy will be more experienced in troubleshooting. We've seen this with a plumber we hired recently. They gave us a commercial construction guy who didn't understand residential construction and remodeling. DH was explaining residential framing to him LOL

I was thinking the same, but you know some of those old houses (even some newer ones) share circuits in places that should be dedicated.
Unfortunately, there are a lot of 'uncle billy-joes' out there who think they can re-model or re-run wiring for homes and additions to save a few bucks. But in the long run, those type of jobs arent always covered by homeowners insurance when they burn down because it wasnt done by a licensed contractor.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:37 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,314,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Historic Bessemer View Post
All the upstairs lights go out and come back on when I turn on the disposall in the kitchen. They might stay off 3 days or 3 minutes! We ran the disposall to it's own breaker and replaced every light switch and outlet in the house. Then we replaced the rest of the breakers! It still does it! HELP????
Hubbie said you have a bad ground somewhere.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:37 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,753,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Surge View Post
But in the long run, those type of jobs arent always covered by homeowners insurance when they burn down because it wasnt done by a licensed contractor.
Yet another reason I insisted we got permits on our latest remodel, even though we are doing most of itl ourselves

Old 04-06-2008, 11:15 AM

629 posts, read 3,599,109 times
Default Figured it out!

Ok, when we turn on the Sinkerator the lights go off.............however, if we walk to the laundry room and turn on the clothes dryer ......the lights come back on! I'm told that sometimes shadetree electricians tap into one side of a 220 outlet to power plugs and lights and such(110).

Any idea how to straighten out this problem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House