Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 04:01 PM

324 posts, read 1,090,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I'm a painting contractor.

My preference: do the painting before flooring or carpet. I will budget to come back and do any necessary touch-up, painting shoe-moulding, etc, afterwards. Depending on the height of carpet and type of baseboard, I'll either tape it down or cut the carpet away from the base so they're done cleanly. From my POV, it's clearly easier (and I figure this in my estimate) if I don't have to be really anal-retentive about protecting carpet.

Most good floor refinishers have vacuum bags on the floor sanders and seal off other areas of the home, so you won't have sanding dust all over the walls to deal with. I often paint after the floor guys have been there, or go back for a final punch list after they've done their thing.

But if the flooring is laid first, it's not a big deal. We tape builder paper over wood floors to protect them, and use drops and whatever on carpet - which is what I do for any residential repaint anyway, so not a big deal.

It is definitely easier (thus, perhaps a bit cheaper) when the homeowners aren't in residence! That way we don't have to worry about putting stuff up every night to keep it safe from dogs or kids, we can leave a mess (I don't mean a vile mess, but general clutter and relocated furniture and stuff unplugged and moved) without having to accomodate homeowners living there, and can come in early/work late without inconveniencing the homeowner.
I'll update/contradict my prior post to say that I just heard this exact same advice from both our floor guy and from our painter. Oops! We'd scheduled the floors to be done first, but they both said they prefer to work the other way around, so we switched the order. Luckily, the scheduling worked out. The painters will swing back after the flooring is done and do any required touch ups.

In our case, we need wallpaper removed, which apparently is quite messy and definitely is better to do before refinishing the floors.

We're not dealing with carpet though, so I can't say how that would fit into the scenario.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 04:39 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAPrincess View Post
I'll update/contradict my prior post to say that I just heard this exact same advice from both our floor guy and from our painter. Oops! We'd scheduled the floors to be done first, but they both said they prefer to work the other way around, so we switched the order. Luckily, the scheduling worked out. The painters will swing back after the flooring is done and do any required touch ups.

In our case, we need wallpaper removed, which apparently is quite messy and definitely is better to do before refinishing the floors.

We're not dealing with carpet though, so I can't say how that would fit into the scenario.
Most excellent!

Wallpaper removal can be wicked messy....not so much the wallpaper removal, but scrubbing the glue residue off the walls once the paper's removed.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:18 PM

359 posts, read 1,099,969 times
the floor guys have very heavy electric cords that may mark up your walls ,that happen to me. floors first,paint,carpets.

Old 12-29-2013, 06:42 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,952,353 times
Refinish floors, then carpets, then paint.

Reason:

Refinishing the floors will change the color, it might come out lighter or darker than you think. Then pick a complimentary color and texture for the carpet for the same reason. You are building a complimentary treatment solution here.

Then paint because you can experiment if needed, something difficult to do with refinishing the wood floors or carpet.

Nowadays, they have things called tarps and so on to avoid paint getting onto the floors or carpet. If you are hiring someone to do the painting and they get paint on anything but the walls, you picked a dummy. A lot of covering systems are made that seal off everything but what is getting painted.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:07 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Tear out old carpet and get the painter to paint any baseboard or crown moulding you want installed. Or cut carpet away from existing base boards.

Wood floors first refinished complete. This will be your dirtiest work
Paint
Carpet.
Come back and touch up any scuff marks from the carpet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House