Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2012, 08:14 PM

1 posts, read 8,875 times

Advertisements

Hi - we had multiple companies/people come last week to do estimates on both building a deck off of our house and also to replace/build some retaining walls. It has been 7-10 days since all people/companies have been at our house and we still have not received any quotes. We have even called to check on two of them and they said they would be done by today....but no quotes. Does it really take that long to make up a job estimate/quote? Or do they not want the job? Seems really strange that a company would not want such a decent sized project...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 01:32 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times
I had the same issue when I tried to get quotes for granite counters. I only had one place call me back and it was a week later. I ended up going with Home Depot. The process took a month, my counters were already installed when the companies I had spoke with finally got back to me. Sorry charlie, the work is already done. I would give them a couple of weeks and if they don't call, find someone else.

Old 05-26-2012, 04:31 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
1) Preparing an estimate that is both clear and accurate takes time and effort that
(if they're any good at all) they simply don't have this time of year.

1a) A legitimate contractor who can prepare one has that extra overhead of a salesman for you to also pay for.

2) They don't want to be restricted by a quote before starting work. It's much better (for them)
to have you all anxious and eager and willing to accept their verbal "Oh, about $X thousand"
and then be able to hit you with all the ups and changes and "no, sorry, that is never included".

3) They don't want to be meaningfully specific in writing because then you can take their detail
to go shop it out in total or in part or use the info to do it yourself.

4) They somehow figure you either can't afford them or won't accept their BS.

4a) They sense you're the problem and they just don't want to deal with you.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:32 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crhawk24 View Post
Hi - we had multiple companies/people come last week to do estimates on both building a deck off of our house and also to replace/build some retaining walls. It has been 7-10 days since all people/companies have been at our house and we still have not received any quotes. We have even called to check on two of them and they said they would be done by today....but no quotes. Does it really take that long to make up a job estimate/quote? Or do they not want the job? Seems really strange that a company would not want such a decent sized project...
Bottom line- they just don't want the job.
I have no idea what all that rhetoric is above^^^^Mr R

Good deck companies, especially those that are NADRA (North American Deck and Railing Association) members should be able to give a quote that same day/ at the meeting when using software on a laptop. And at least by the next day. If they are familiar with your area they'll know permit fee schedules- everything else they should already have current pricing- lumber, concrete, etc.
Just keep hunting- ask if they are NADRA members, and remember to ask for copies of general liability/ WC insurance at the beginning. No need to go through a lot of negotiating on the project if they're not covered; because you don't need the possible trouble.

Old 05-27-2012, 11:19 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
A good estimate should include specific plans, materials, construction steps, contingencies, and prices. It takes time to do a good estimate that demonstrates that the contractor understands the project, and that the homeowners wishes are being addressed. I would say a week to ten days would be reasonable.

Mr R above has pretty much listed why you might not be hearing back from any of the folks which you contacted. On top of that. many contractors are just really bad business people.

I would add that once you have the estimates in hand, make sure that the folks making the prices fully understand the job and what your expectations are for the projects. The guy who comes in at $14,000 for a $30,000 project usually does not understand the full scope of the project. Or he is treating it as an evening and weekends project with materials and workmanship which probably are not up to code, let alone asthetically pleasing.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:37 AM

491 posts, read 2,289,974 times
Par for the course. You have to call and remind them, and try to get a realistic time frame from them as to when they will be able to give you a bid, or if they need anything else from you like drawings, chosen materials if any.

It's a real pain in the butt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House