Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 06:13 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,411,876 times

Advertisements

9(So i read an article recently in the july, 2011 issue of consumer reports (Where to buy appliances, Consumer Reports feature) about how satisfaction for online buyers is pretty high.

i googled the model refrigerator i want (LFX31925ST), which the cheapest i've found in a store is around $2500, and found it at buyriteappliances.com for about $2300. that's pretty good, but i don't know where to fine the most reliable reviews about different online retailers.

any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 06:22 PM

5 posts, read 14,175 times
I had bad luck when buying my W/D from HomeEverything.com, they took 3 weeks to arrive and we had to install them ourselves. They look and run great, but can't handle the load size they advertise which has me always wondering if thats why we saved. I would spend the extra $200 and have the piece of mind.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:30 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,326,728 times
I'm a pretty dedicated online shopper due to personal circumstances that make it hard for me to leave the house. But I had an experience just recently that made me think twice about buying top-dollar purchases online.

I spent a lot of time deciding what kind of laptop computer to buy. I carefully compared prices. I got by far the best deal online and the fact that the company offered me an extra year's warranty over the one most places offered sealed the deal for me. After happily using the $800 computer for 16 months, the hard drive crashed. Thank heavens I have that extra warranty time, but even so it's been a real pain to get it fixed. The seller's only offer to me is that I should send it -- not to them, but to the manufacturer -- and they can give me no idea whatsoever of when I will get it back. The reason? Because of the tsunami in Japan (!) "nobody has any hard drives." I'm just supposed to accept that response and I have no manager to yell at or no store to camp out in until I get some "customer satisfaction."

I am NOT a happy camper. I refused to send my computer out into the blue and finally got them to agree to send the hard drive to me since they admitted that would be much faster "because of the holidays," but it's now been three weeks since the crash and still no hard drive.

I have a friend who owns many rental properties she buys appliances for and she told me she would never buy appliances online because it's too hard to get any satisfaction if something is wrong. I think she has a point. I really wish I had spent a little extra and bought my computer from a local brick and mortar store.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:44 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,348,840 times
We bought an LG LMX25964ST fridge from Appliances Connection, and we haven't had any issues with delivery.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:09 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,421,872 times
There are number of reason that I would recommend against buying appliances from any online-only store.

Unlike things like MP3 players appliances still have LOTS of moving parts. Though they are designed to be somewhat jostled during shipping the degree to which they can get literally beat to death by some "lowest cost" freight service trying to get it to your home is a disaster waiting to happen. I have seen LOTS of "scratch & dent" appliance from even reputable, skilled appliance delivery firms that I would NEVER want installed in my home as the odds of them working as designed for their full life span is NIL when it has basically been thrown off a truck.

Even if the product looks OK there is strong possiblity that the ARROWS that say "This Side UP" have been ignored by some third party that wants to cram as much into their truck as possible, for LOTS of appliances this will result in the bearing for the moving parts being stressed in a destructive way - this will cut the life significantly. Items with compressors (like freezer, fridge, A/C) can have the oil backup and the efficiency of the unit will be compromissed.

Finally all appliance makers have a warranty policy that is geared toward "date of installation" -- for firms that do their own installs (which is frankly the ONLY kind of appliance dealer to consider...) they will activate the warranty once they do the final installation. Firms that ship stuff across the country can cut WEEKS off your warranty, and given how picky some manufacturers are such appliances have been known to have their warranty TOTALLY voided...

In my experience there are honest family appliance dealers in / near most any good sized city that will jump at the chance to meet / beat any legitimate internet price for commonly available major appliances -- sometimes, with any an off color or a unit that has unpopular features, the manufacturer gives the mom & pop shops HUGE discounts. I find this is far & away the better deal than either 'scratch & dent' or internet order. To get all appliances looking good instead of having some "biscuit" and other "almond" or "sand" I also recommend getting the "panel kit" from the appliance manufacturer and then geting the appropriate trim from your cabinet company to make it all blend in seamlessly...

Old 12-11-2011, 10:38 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,781,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I'm a pretty dedicated online shopper due to personal circumstances that make it hard for me to leave the house. But I had an experience just recently that made me think twice about buying top-dollar purchases online.

I spent a lot of time deciding what kind of laptop computer to buy. I carefully compared prices. I got by far the best deal online and the fact that the company offered me an extra year's warranty over the one most places offered sealed the deal for me. After happily using the $800 computer for 16 months, the hard drive crashed. Thank heavens I have that extra warranty time, but even so it's been a real pain to get it fixed. The seller's only offer to me is that I should send it -- not to them, but to the manufacturer -- and they can give me no idea whatsoever of when I will get it back. The reason? Because of the tsunami in Japan (!) "nobody has any hard drives." I'm just supposed to accept that response and I have no manager to yell at or no store to camp out in until I get some "customer satisfaction."

I am NOT a happy camper. I refused to send my computer out into the blue and finally got them to agree to send the hard drive to me since they admitted that would be much faster "because of the holidays," but it's now been three weeks since the crash and still no hard drive.

I have a friend who owns many rental properties she buys appliances for and she told me she would never buy appliances online because it's too hard to get any satisfaction if something is wrong. I think she has a point. I really wish I had spent a little extra and bought my computer from a local brick and mortar store.
The recent flooding in the Bangkok area has really disrupted a large portion of the global disk drive supply. Western Digital specifically and many others, too, manufacture drives and parts in that area. They were under 5 feet of water for about a month, 600 people died.....http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/07/bu...pagewanted=all
Attached Thumbnails
Buying Appliances Online - Bad idea?-sub-flood-articlelarge.jpg  

Last edited by khuntrevor; 12-11-2011 at 11:04 PM..

Old 12-12-2011, 05:59 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,798,421 times
I bought a whole kitchen worth of appliances from US Appliance and had no problems at all. The order came in promptly and I installed them. No shipping charges either, from what I remember. I think we saved about $1,000 altogether.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:15 AM

132 posts, read 545,355 times
I did a lot of research online looking for the perfect specs in the type of fridge I wanted. Eventually found the exact model I wanted, and several places that sold it -- all online, couldn't find anywhere brick and mortar that had it on the floor for me to look at.

However, I did have a good local appliance store that was willing to special order it for me, and at a price close to the online prices. It was nice to be able to get what I wanted through online research, and still support a local store. Sometimes if you call around, you can handle it this way, and then still have the local stores support for delivery and installation, repairmen, etc.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:40 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,359,408 times
Just remember when you buy on line you are hurting the local stores.

Don't care about THEM????

What about the jobs they create???

The spin off jobs...the fast food place near by.

The taxes they pay that support your local parks, roads, and fire protection.

BTW, is you buy on line...don't send your child in thier store for a donation.......get that on line too.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:30 AM

3,515 posts, read 7,786,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Just remember when you buy on line you are hurting the local stores.
So if your not over paying for your anything you buy, YOU are hurting the economy. See a sale on clothes? Resist that urge to buy it, go to the most expensive store in town and pay more for the same stuff, think of all the jobs you be saving.

Honestly I can't see your logic here. Why should I over pay when i can get the same thing cheaper. If someone else can't complete, then they go out of business. It's the Capitalist way. I remember I purchased some furniture at a store that was going out of business. They gave me a that I thought was great price, even taking something extra off cause it had a small scratch, last one in stock, had to pay extra for shipping. Armed with the brand/model information I decided to do an online search to see what a good deal I got. I quickly found the same exact thing online for $200 cheaper, no scratch and free shipping. To make matters worse, I went back a few weeks later to see what else they had left and they had another set of the "last" set they had on display. People who do not shop around, weather it's in stores or online are SUCKERS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House