Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 03:39 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times

Advertisements

bradykp-
Personally, I think you choose the wrong GC. A lot of GC's here- (that are worth the reputation they have built) have mini units just for this scenario. If a H/O plans to continue to live in the house with the reno going on, it would be in the best interest of the GC and his reputation to make every convenience accessible. It's really nothing to take an area of the DRM or LVRM and set a mini unit up.

They generally have a couple of these for projects. Hooked up correctly, you have everything you need to prepare a meal. Instead of some haphazard BS on the dining room table, overloaded circuits, and dish-washing where you wash your backside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 05:53 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,052,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Go to Florida; and yes, I'm being serious here.

How much less time would it take your contractor(s) to complete...
if they didn't have to work around the family being there?

Longer M-F work days, regular Saturday's and a few Sunday's too...
being able to leave tools and materials as they are at the end of a day...
far fewer sweep and wipe patrols... all sorts of things come into play.

If not for the whole project then for specific phases of it...
like the demo and rough-in... and later the fit and finish work.

Seriously consider enjoying some time in the sun.
Having gone through a total kitchen remodel, two total bathroom remodels, a complete front and backyard relandscaping, new roofs, new HVAC systems, etc. - all by licensed contractors (the kitchen was done by a well known So. California kitchen design firm) - I will tell you that I would never, and I mean never leave for a vacation or for more than one day during a remodel.

There are always things that come up during remodels - you need to be there in person to talk to contractors, designers, etc. There are errors made, even by the very best firms and most conscientious contractors - mistakes happen. If you or your spouse are there every day (at least part of the day) to make sure that mistakes aren't compounded, the whole process will go much smoother and take less time.

Also, sometimes modifications are made to the original plans, depending on what happens during tear-down, remodel, removal, etc. You need to be there to have input on those proposed modifications, approve additional costs, have face to face conversations with the general contractor, etc. You need to be there to actually see with your own eyes what is being done (or not done) and if the job is being done correctly.

Don't go on vacation - ever - during a big remodeling job - very bad things can happen. Be pro-active in knowing what is being done to your home, who is supposed to be doing what on which day (as in contractors showing up when they are supposed to), the contract is being fulfilled as agreed upon, etc., appropriate progress is being made, etc.

Last edited by Cattknap; 01-16-2012 at 06:25 PM..

Old 01-16-2012, 09:09 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,126,347 times
I'm going through exactly what you will be going through and it's not fun. It's supposed to last 2 months but we'll be lucky to finish before February. We had a few setbacks including delayed delivery of appliances purchased online and delayed delivery of 2 re-ordered cabinets. Those two things are holding up progress. We started work Thanksgiving week and was supposed to be done by mid-January but it's probably another 2 weeks before this remodel ends.

The things I find most useful are:

- Slow cooker
- Kettle (great for heating up ramen noodles)
- Fasta Pasta The Microwave Cooker (microwave pasta)
- Toaster oven (heating up cheese sandwiches, toast, etc.)
- Microwave (got one on craigslist for $10)
- Lotsa menus!

Hold off on the remodel until the weather gets better because frozen pipes can happen during a demo if there's inadequate insulation... This happened 2x to us.

Good luck with your remodel!

Old 01-16-2012, 10:10 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
bradykp-
Personally, I think you choose the wrong GC. A lot of GC's here- (that are worth the reputation they have built) have mini units just for this scenario. If a H/O plans to continue to live in the house with the reno going on, it would be in the best interest of the GC and his reputation to make every convenience accessible. It's really nothing to take an area of the DRM or LVRM and set a mini unit up.

They generally have a couple of these for projects. Hooked up correctly, you have everything you need to prepare a meal. Instead of some haphazard BS on the dining room table, overloaded circuits, and dish-washing where you wash your backside.
that's cool, but i've never heard of anything like this, so I'm going to guess it's not common up here.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee View Post
I'm going through exactly what you will be going through and it's not fun. It's supposed to last 2 months but we'll be lucky to finish before February. We had a few setbacks including delayed delivery of appliances purchased online and delayed delivery of 2 re-ordered cabinets. Those two things are holding up progress. We started work Thanksgiving week and was supposed to be done by mid-January but it's probably another 2 weeks before this remodel ends.

The things I find most useful are:

- Slow cooker
- Kettle (great for heating up ramen noodles)
- Fasta Pasta The Microwave Cooker (microwave pasta)
- Toaster oven (heating up cheese sandwiches, toast, etc.)
- Microwave (got one on craigslist for $10)
- Lotsa menus!

Hold off on the remodel until the weather gets better because frozen pipes can happen during a demo if there's inadequate insulation... This happened 2x to us.

Good luck with your remodel!
thanks kimchee! congrats on almost being done. i hope we don't have the pipe problems like you did. i hadn't thought of that.

we got the slow cooker, kettle, toaster oven and plenty of menus. the idea of microwave pasta to an italian is frightening though!

Old 01-17-2012, 06:35 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
The first apartment my spouse and I lived in had no stove; I cooked full, traditional meals using a microwave, a one-burner hot plate, and a toaster oven/broiler. We lived there for one year before we were able to buy a house.

You'll be fine.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
The first apartment my spouse and I lived in had no stove; I cooked full, traditional meals using a microwave, a one-burner hot plate, and a toaster oven/broiler. We lived there for one year before we were able to buy a house.

You'll be fine.
it's not the lack of stove that worries me so much as it is lack of prep space. we've got a hot plate, indoor drill (and a propane grill on the deck), rotisserie oven, toaster, etc. i think we can manage. plus, worst case scenario, it's not that hard to make PB&J!

Old 01-17-2012, 11:28 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,599,761 times
Might find some good advice here.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:01 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
...it's not the lack of stove that worries me so much as it is lack of prep space.
Not to beat a dead horse...
but that question in the context of a full time living experience over protracted two months...
is a very different matter than the concerns for getting by for a few days here and there
over a far shorter overall length of time.

Did you ask the GC the question as I posed it?
Find a middle ground on the time frame... 2 months for a K remodel is just absurd!

And no you don't have to go to the extreme of leaving the state for the duration...
but at the very least be prepared to be out of the house.
You can (and should) visit to check progress but you don't have to live in the job to do that.

hth

Old 01-17-2012, 01:42 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Make sure you ask the contractor every day when he expects to be done...

1. It shows that you care about him.
2. You will be able to say at some point... "I thought you said yesterday it would be done on so-and-so?!"
3. Your family will be impressed you made a grown man cry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House