Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 07:52 AM

7 posts, read 9,097 times

Advertisements

I used the wrong term, so I apologize, but my point still stands whether oil or gas for water heating both are non-renewable and require the consumer to be dependent on someone else providing you with the resource for which you will be charged.

Where possible, every home and business should have solar hot water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
On demand and oil is not a valid combination. On demand requires gas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 08:36 AM

8,286 posts, read 38,880,360 times
Quote:
For whole-house, gas is definitely the way to go but you can get excellent results with point-of-use electric heaters.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:46 AM

84 posts, read 167,055 times
People lived in these homes for decades before the separate hotwater heater was invented. Coils work fine so long as you realize their limitations. As with anything else, you need what you need and you don't need any more than that. Ask ten contractors whether you need a separate hotwater system and they are going to say yes because that's business to them, they are not there to be your friend, they are there to make MONEY. It's up to you to decide what you need and don't need, never let a salesman tell you what you need. Ask a car salesman what kind of car you need and he's going to try and sell you the most expensive car on the lot when maybe a Hyundai or a Kia would do just fine.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:42 AM

630 posts, read 970,607 times
So I called another company that also advised against the mixing valve (due to potential for various parts in the valve to go bad), but recommended the cheaper option of putting in a regular "manual" valve to control the flow of cold water to mix with the hot water in the boiler. I got this valve installed at a fair price and it seems to be working well so far.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:05 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,270,636 times
Quote:
With the coil it is as long as long as you have sufficient BTU output, the coils have ratings for GPM (gllons per minute) They are only 20 or 30 foot long depending on the GPM(don't quote me on that, it's guesstimate). They have to be on demand, the only real limitation is a real small coil or if you have small BTU output boiler that can't replenish the heat fast enough. I have a coal boiler (320K) and if I recall the coil is 12GPM, hot water is endless.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Coils suck, they do not have the recovery time thats needed when you have more than 1 person living in the house. Period.
Perhaps on oil unit that may be the case but they work excellent on solid fuel boiler since it's on 24/7. In stead of using it directly you can set it up to run into a standard hot water tank using a thermosiphon. You could do this even with a coil that is few feet long. The coil will take most of the heat load for the hot water tank.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:20 PM

20,339 posts, read 37,404,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Why isn't lowering the temperature on the water heater not an option? I'm genuinely curious - is this a problem with an oil powered water heater?
If you use an electric water heater as a water reservoir (not connected to electricity), a small Taco bronze circulating pump can circulate the water through the boiler and back into the water heater. This setup is widely used in Alaska. The electric water heater (reservoir in this case) thermostat controls the Taco pump, and this thermostat can be set at 120 degrees. The cold water is routed toward the "reservoir" by the drain plug at the bottom of the heater via a 4-way "thingy" that looks like a "T" but has 4 threaded ends: one end connects to the reservoir at the drain, another end is used for the cold water coming into the reservoir, one end goes to the Taco bronze pump, and the last one is used as a drain point.

So when the hot water temperature in reservoir drops below 120 degrees, the thermostat turns the Taco pump ON, this pump moves warm water (below 120 degrees) from the reservoir-as well as the cold water coming into it-through the boiler, and the now hot water from the boiler comes back into the reservoir though the cold-water point on top of it. If you now turn a shower ON, for example, the hot water comes out the reservoir through the hot water port on top of the reservoir. The center port on the reservoir is left alone with the 30 psi pressure valve that comes with the reservoir (or electric water heater) when you buy it at the store.

At my house I insulated this water reservoir, and also the hot water pipes. If the cost of electricity drops below the cost of heating fuel during the summer, then I can isolate the reservoir and connect it to electric power. But so far electricity has been too expensive for me to heat water this way.

Last edited by RayinAK; 03-02-2012 at 09:18 PM..

Old 03-03-2012, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
If you use an electric water heater as a water reservoir (not connected to electricity), a small Taco bronze circulating pump can circulate the water through the boiler and back into the water heater. This setup is widely used in Alaska..
You probably don't really need the pump if you had temperature activated valve. This is a basic diagram for thermosiphon, the water heater tank has to be close to the boiler and elevated above it. This setup is also commonly used with small stoves, the coil in the stove is only a few feet long and can't do instant heat. As the water heats up in the coil it will naturally flow into the top of the water heater and is replaced by the colder water in the bottom.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:16 AM

2 posts, read 3,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
How is your boiler making the hot water? Is it a indirect tank or is there a coil in the boiler?
coil

Old 10-24-2013, 11:21 AM

2 posts, read 3,541 times
how do i turn the temp down on my heater so the water is not so hot out of the faucet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House