Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 09:16 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,146,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
I HATE dishwashers with the flatware container in the door. The flatware never gets clean.

Never had a problem getting flatware clean before. The last three rental houses I've lived in, have all been new spec homes with these stupid flatware in-the-door model dishwashers. After taking the "clean" flatware out of the dishwasher, I still need to soak them in a sink and scrub by hand. Like I have that kind of time.

I hate them with the intensity of a thousand white-hot suns.
^^^^This! Its funny you brought this up because we just bought a new dishwasher over the weekend. I have never purchased a DW before. Only had 2 houses that had them and the models were old. So our DW died over memorial day weekend and we went out to buy a new one. I spent hours researching the best models for our budget and it seemed Whirlpool was the best match. So I was a bit surprised when I opened the washer in person and saw this basket in the door set up. I didnt like it at all. Even my husband hated it.

The sales people kept saying how it was a better design because it provided more room for other things. We spent several hours looking at different models, brands and so forth. It ended up being a bigger adventure because I didnt want this basket in the door thing. I wanted a SS finish and so on. What a headache. We finally decided to spend 200 more to get a different line of DW to avoid this whole basket in the door thing and to get the right finish on the outside. I did notice that on one of the models, the basket comes off the door and can be put in the bottom rack, but the basket itself was rather skinny and didnt seem like it would hold much. Anyway, didnt expect to pay an extra 200 for the dishwasher but glad we did. I guess my suspicions on the silverware not getting clean was correct. Unless people really love this, I can see it being a fad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 10:25 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Well here is my appliance rant for the day. I put my air conditioner in the living room window, I washed the window, put the support bracket up, (NY state law) now for apartments....I took the accordian things out and pushed the a/c to one side, cut thick cardboard and covered it with black contact paper, (our windows are bronze) and it looked nice and neat, I also have it so the window can open even with the a/c in....so all this is done, I had to move the couch to plug it in, fix the extention cord, vacuum behind the couch, put everything back and turn the a/c on, the lights go on, but no air is blowing out..................................

I turned it off and turned it back on and again, lights on but no air blowing.......I start to cry............................................... .............

ugh, had to buy another air conditioner, i was not a happy camper.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:32 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,411,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
The sales people kept saying how it was a better design because it provided more room for other things.
Yay! You have more room for other things and filthy flatware.

Quote:
I did notice that on one of the models, the basket comes off the door and can be put in the bottom rack, but the basket itself was rather skinny and didn't seem like it would hold much.
You can take the basket off the door and put it in the bottom rack, but the basket is so long and narrow, that the flatware can't spread out. 90% of the flatware comes out dirty.

If there are any bits of food, they become cemented on because the force of water can't get to most of them. Spoons are the worst.

It defeats the whole purpose of having a dishwasher. I have to inspect every piece of flatware I get out of the drawer and usually have to hand wash before I can eat with it. It's ruining my nice stainless.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:33 AM

59 posts, read 309,032 times
Ok this one may be stupid but it bothers me. No matter how hard I try I can not get the microwave and the stoves clocks to change at the same time, they are off by a few seconds or more. They were both bought at the same time, same type of model, so I would assume the clock chip is the same.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:19 AM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,853 times
I am surprised that nobody else has my pet peeve.

My clothes dryer buzzer is so unbelievably loud that could literally be heard down on the corner, and with it being located in the center of my small house it is so annoying. There is no volume control or on/off switch, either. My (GE gas) dryer was super-cheap on sale back in 2002, when I bought it, and does a great job of drying. No excuse to replace it, since it won't break and my only complaint is the loud BUZZZ!!!! Even though I live alone in a single family home, I do not dry clothes in the middle of the night for fear of awakening my neighbors.

And why is it so hard to find out what buzzers sound like before purchase? After this, I think it could be a major selection criterion. But even Consumer Reports usually ignores buzzers.

Last edited by NOLA2SGF; 05-31-2012 at 10:28 AM..

Old 06-01-2012, 02:27 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
At least your dryer has a buzzer! I must have an uber-economy model.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:28 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA2SGF View Post

My clothes dryer buzzer is so unbelievably loud that could literally be heard down on the corner, and with it being located in the center of my small house it is so annoying. There is no volume control or on/off switch, either. My (GE gas) dryer was super-cheap on sale back in 2002, when I bought it, and does a great job of drying. No excuse to replace it, since it won't break and my only complaint is the loud BUZZZ!!!! Even though I live alone in a single family home, I do not dry clothes in the middle of the night for fear of awakening my neighbors.

And why is it so hard to find out what buzzers sound like before purchase? After this, I think it could be a major selection criterion. But even Consumer Reports usually ignores buzzers.
Hehe. Time to hack it, open it up and cut the buzzer wire. I'm not really joking; if you're handy you can probably do this. I actually did this with a remote outdoor thermometer receiver. The stupid thing had a non-adjustable alarm that beeped periodically when the temp was around freezing (not if it got super cold, I guess it was meant to be a slip warning or something). I got fed up with it, opened the case, and snipped the wire to the beeper. LOL Luckily my dryer has a volume control on the buzzer and I leave it off.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
At least your dryer has a buzzer! I must have an uber-economy model.
That's even worse, I agree!

Old 06-01-2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:
So anyway, we get this new microwave. It is the most annoying appliance I have ever owned and I long for my almond colored microwave. When a meal is done cooking it beeps. Okay fine but it doesn't stop beeping until you open the door. Why this feature is on there I have no idea. Its not going to over cook. Its a microwave. I have been in the middle of doing something and the cooking will stop, beep.....beep.....beep.....beep.....beep. OMG!
That would drive me nuts! What were they thinking?? lol Mine beeps, but only 5 times if I don't open the door.

Old 06-02-2012, 12:32 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA2SGF View Post

My clothes dryer buzzer is so unbelievably loud that could literally be heard down on the corner, and with it being located in the center of my small house it is so annoying. There is no volume control or on/off switch,
We have a the Whirlpool Duet series, both the washer and the dryer has a soft/loud/off setting for the buzzer. There is also a "night quiet" button on the washer that I have no idea what it does. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House