Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 11:33 AM

520 posts, read 3,919,794 times

Advertisements

Any suggestions or tips to control or eliminate spiders in our finished basement?
I've had one house with a finished basement and no spider issues.
Onther house unfinished basement and also no spider issues.
Current house finished basement and spiders every where.
I clean, vacuum, do everything I should and I still have spiders.

Is there a spray or pest control I should look into?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 12:59 PM

935 posts, read 3,446,012 times
spider control = bug (read food) control

Eliminate spiders by locating and eliminating their food sources. They seem to especially love crickets. Look for places where bugs are getting into your basement. The type of spider may tell you a bit about the type of bugs. When I've had ants (which is all the time lately) I get the little brown spiders that like to hang out under the toe kick in my kitchen. When I get crickets, the big scary wolf spiders and their horrid funnel webs start showing up.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:27 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times

Old 06-24-2012, 03:29 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,153,734 times
Live and let live. They won't hurt you.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:29 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,920,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Live and let live. They won't hurt you.
Not very reponsible advice considering that the Brown Recluse and Black Widow do cause problems every year to humans.

Chemical free option of addressing spiders: Spider traps: Effective Sticky Spider Glue Traps

Old 06-24-2012, 07:06 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,453,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi5 View Post
Any suggestions or tips to control or eliminate spiders in our finished basement?
I've had one house with a finished basement and no spider issues.
Onther house unfinished basement and also no spider issues.
Current house finished basement and spiders every where.
I clean, vacuum, do everything I should and I still have spiders.

Is there a spray or pest control I should look into?

You can buy at the big box stores.

Also you could have a humidity issue even if you don't think you do. You can try buying an el cheapo humidity meter and see what your relative humidity is in the basement. The dryer it is the less likely you'll get insect and spiders.

This two-prong approach of dehumidifying and spraying should take care of your issue. Just remember to spray where they come in (windows/doors/etc) along with all the baseboards and cracks and crevices.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:19 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,291,381 times
Knock down any webs you see.
Then get a pest control service (quarterly is usually good enough), or spray yourself.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:50 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,664,141 times
I once had a house cat that would chase and eat the bugs/spiders in the house. Her nickname was Pest Control.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:55 PM

935 posts, read 3,446,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
I once had a house cat that would chase and eat the bugs/spiders in the house. Her nickname was Pest Control.
That's cute.

I had high hopes for my cat, but he turned out to be a sociopath and into cruel torture. First, he swats the creature gently, being careful to inflict minor injuries with each blow. A initial blow stuns. As the bug crawls slowly in ever increasing concentric circles, attempting to gain its bearings, my little treasure retreats and watches from a distance. Only after the bug gains its footing and some distance, does the stalker return to its victim. It strikes again with a precise blow, taking just one limb. Now the creature realizes the trouble set before it. In a panic it drags itself about 2 feet along the carpet under the watchful eye of its attacker. Another limb is skillfully removed. With each blow, the creature is allowed to escape slightly further than the last, elevating hope while increasing desperation. Next the creature is picked in the mouth and tossed back to the ground. It claws its way across the carpet again. Three legs gone, then 4; and then when it has given up hope and despairs of life, the psychopath loses all interest, leaving me to finish the job. I'm so glad we don't have mice around.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:35 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,925,064 times
What's the humidity in your basement? Try to keep it below 55%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House