Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 02:12 PM

312 posts, read 831,756 times

Advertisements

I bought a 30" LG gas range and I need to get the hood. We are looking for a chimney wall hood. Kitchen is well ventilated with a window and skylight window. What should be the minimum CFM for the hood?
We plan to put a 36" hood. The duct is 8".

So what CFM capacity should I have? And could you suggest some models or brands?

Thanks so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 03:44 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,084,834 times
This is your "minimal requirement" from IRC/IMC-

SECTION 505 DOMESTIC KITCHEN EXHAUST EQUIPMENT

505.1 Domestic systems.
Where domestic range hoods and domestic appliances equipped with downdraft exhaust are located within dwelling units, such hoods and appliances shall discharge to the outdoors through sheet metal ducts constructed of galvanized steel, stainless steel, aluminum or copper. Such ducts shall have smooth inner walls, shall be air tight, shall be equipped with a backdraft damper, and shall be independent of all other exhaust systems.

Exceptions:

1. Where installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s installation instructions and where mechanical or natural ventilation is otherwise provided in accordance with Chapter 4, listed and labeled ductless range hoods shall not be required to discharge to the outdoors.
2. Ducts for domestic kitchen cooking appliances equipped with downdraft exhaust systems shall be permitted to be constructed of Schedule 40 PVC pipe and fittings provided that the installation complies with all of the following:
2.1. The duct shall be installed under a concrete slab poured on grade.
2.2. The underfloor trench in which the duct is installed shall be completely backfilled with sand or gravel.
2.3. The PVC duct shall extend not more than 1 inch (25 mm) above the indoor concrete floor surface.
2.4. The PVC duct shall extend not more than 1 inch (25 mm) above grade outside of the building.
2.5. The PVC ducts shall be solvent cemented.
505.2 Makeup air required.
Exhaust hood systems capable of exhausting in excess of 400 cfm (0.19 m3/s) shall be provided with makeup air at a rate approximately equal to the exhaust air rate. Such makeup air systems shall be equipped with a means of closure and shall be automatically controlled to start and operate simultaneously with the exhaust system.

Old 06-21-2013, 04:13 PM

Thanks for this. But I am not really asking about code. Trying to figure out based on your experience and others what I should get to have a decent exhaust in my kitchen.

Thanks

Old 06-21-2013, 05:59 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,413,242 times
Default Practical experience suggests that ...

... for standard 30" range a hood that has a 300 CFM rating will generally suffice.

Broan and Vent-a-hood have many units that would work.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:24 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,934,602 times
What is your budget?
How big are the burners on your gas stove?
I don't usually like range hood with less than 400CFM. I would prefer ones close to 500 and up but those get pricey if you want powerful and not too loud.

I always like the Broan 89000 series and they are not too expensive. I usually find them at the sears outlet store for less than $150. I put them in my rental properties. They are normally about $400 each.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:28 PM

This is the stove.
http://sears.com/productdetails.do?p...r=02265443000P

We don't do any deep frying.

You said they were $150 but then said $400 each. Are you talking about part and labor?

Thanks

Old 06-21-2013, 07:35 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,934,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skubaman View Post
This is the stove.
http://sears.com/productdetails.do?p...r=02265443000P

We don't do any deep frying.

You said they were $150 but then said $400 each. Are you talking about part and labor?

Thanks
No.. the 89000 series broan are about $400 each, some cheaper depending on the finish. I scan through all my local sears outlet stores all the time and usually find them for no more than $150 each. They may have minor defects or returned item. Since I used them for my rentals, it doesn't matter for me. I rather have less grease I the kitchen when tenant move.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:55 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,935,079 times
If this is going in your own home, you need to be more concerned about how quiet it is rather than the air volume. Broan makes a series of variable speed venthoods that are pretty quiet. They also make some that sound like a train running thru the kitchen. Some of the cheap one are so loud you can't have a conversation near one. The Broan variable speeds are rated at 400CFMs or at least the last one we put in was rated for that. You can always run it in low and never hear it or run one wide open and wish it would self destruct.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:01 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,084,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skubaman View Post
But I am not really asking about code.
Well, considering you're remodeling your house- and I'll assume that there is a permit- you should.
As I stated, those are the "minimal" requirements; as you asked.

As far as brand or style- I don't care from a builder/remodeler/GC standpoint- as long as it passes code requirements. That means you won't have to worry about the C/O getting hung up because of a vent hood. Plus, do you plan to take it with you when you sell?

Old 06-21-2013, 09:17 PM

It will will be fine from a code perspective. GC knows the code.

TrappeL which one did you have and did you like it? Also a lot of people say Broan but some say BeSt by Broan. Are they from the same company?

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House