Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 11:41 AM

8,002 posts, read 18,606,137 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any remedies for getting the mildew smell out of towels and other laundry??? I've tried several different detergents, ammonia and color safe bleaches/regular bleach with no results....help....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 11:48 AM

3,674 posts, read 10,605,252 times
Have you tried spraying them with Lysol spray? I did that for a trunk liner that got left out in the rain and it worked great.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:50 AM

781 posts, read 3,816,782 times
Are these towels that you use in the bath/shower or are they towels for housework/car washing??

Old 09-27-2007, 11:58 AM

1,354 posts, read 6,378,141 times
I usually use 1 cup of white vinegar and 1/2 cup of lemon juice. Some people put baking soda in the washer too. But don't mix baking soda with the vinegar or lemon juice beforehand, it makes a huge bubbly mess.

Turn on your washer, and let the vinegar and lemon juice mix well with the water, then add your towels. Recently I washed a load of bath towels and then we went out of town without drying them. They smelled horrible when I found them in the washer. But the vinegar and lemon juice took care of the smell.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:02 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times
Vinegar does work; also air drying after one wash, leaving in the direct sun and then perhaps some repeats with a natural concentrated soap (with a lavender or lilac scent). It worked for me with a few items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthesierras View Post
I usually use 1 cup of white vinegar and 1/2 cup of lemon juice. Some people put baking soda in the washer too. But don't mix baking soda with the vinegar or lemon juice beforehand, it makes a huge bubbly mess.

Turn on your washer, and let the vinegar and lemon juice mix well with the water, then add your towels. Recently I washed a load of bath towels and then we went out of town without drying them. They smelled horrible when I found them in the washer. But the vinegar and lemon juice took care of the smell.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinez4 View Post
Are these towels that you use in the bath/shower or are they towels for housework/car washing??
They are towels from the bath/shower and clothing that I have left in the hamper too long with wet stuff

Thanks for all the replies so far!!

Old 09-27-2007, 12:14 PM

781 posts, read 3,816,782 times
I only asked because you don't want to do something to harsh on your bath towels. A good hot wash and air dry until the towels are completely dry seems to work well.

I have found that sometimes my kids, teenagers, put the towels away from the dryer when they are still slightly damp then that smells sets in. I just rewash them with hot water and hang them out to dry and it works really well.

Good luck...there nothing quite so yucky as that smell.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:58 PM

3,294 posts, read 9,188,072 times
Best method is baking soda. It will also remove smoking odors (as in the kind left from from someone who smokes). Liz

Old 09-28-2007, 08:37 AM

2 posts, read 50,081 times
Be sure to always leave your washer's lid open if you have a top loader and the door slightly open if you have a front loader after you have completed washing for the day. That is something my mother told me many years ago in order to avoid mildew odors. I've always done that and I've not once had a problem with mildew odors.
So, to get rid of any odors you have now, it is probably best to do an empty wash cycle using the hottest water you can attain and use 1 cup of bleach and let it go through the complete wash cycle. But remember to always leave the lid or door open after a wash.

Old 09-28-2007, 08:41 AM

Ok, my first attempt today is gonna be the vinegar and lemon mix.

I've been using Borax lately - cleans very well, but doesn't always remove the smell - would this be similar to using baking soda or no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House