Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 12:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,984 times

Advertisements

What CMurdock says above is verified by the stuff I read on a site Clean Front Load Smelly Mildew Washer Machine, Stinky Towels that explains why the problem occurs and how to clean it. Actually they give a lot of different ways to clean. They say that the bacteria is the cause of the smell too. The new Samsung nano washer calls it "biofilm" on their ads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 03:52 PM

1 posts, read 898 times
I got a washer fan because the other products are just a temporary solution if they even work . First I and then my son had severe childhood asthma. Mold was one of the things that triggered attacks. I never knew I had mold in my wash machine pipes. Yuck! If you buy one you will also get a humidity tester and other answers to fix the smell permanently. It makes me upset that these fans, and information on washer mold prevention, aren't included when we buy a machine. Even if your lungs are very strong mold is NEVER good! Go to washer fan.com there is lots of educational things to learn there. I am not trying to sound like a commercial but I found an answer to the problem and I am going to be loud about it!!!!!!

Old 06-20-2013, 09:07 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,905,466 times
I understand this is an old thread, but if people are really concerned, why not just get a HE top loader? You can even keep the top open when not in use to prevent mold.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:17 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,296,810 times
You mean there's a reason I have my shirts cleaned and pressed? I'll allow her to stink up my t shirts, but I'll be damned if I'll allow it to shame my Carhartt dress shirts. If she can't figure out why you have your shirts processed, then you don't have to worry about cost.

Bleach will remove mold, but you can't let it sit for hours in the washer prior to drying, because your girlfriends dog on Facebook is more important.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:59 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,218,598 times
Add a few drops of Tea Tree oil to the rinse cycle.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:01 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
WIN or Penguin Sports Wash. WIN uses peroxide, so you could just add that (or oxy-clean) to your laundry, though it's a bleaching agent so might cause fading. Not sure what's in Penguin Sports Wash, though the odor suggests peroxide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House