Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 10:15 PM
QIS

919 posts, read 5,153,316 times

Advertisements

I can see how you could be concerned! I would have no problem culling out a tree that concerned me. Even with the plenitude of newly fallen trees, is there a market in your area for trees that are really large? It would be nice to sell them for lumber... having a tree inspected may only provide marginal assurance that it won't blow down! I bet you have some darn healthy looking trees down in your area!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 04:09 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,230,174 times
If you like going with odds, how many trees fall in a bad wind storm and how many don't?
Consider also, how many times in how many years do you have storms capable of doing that?

Old 07-10-2012, 04:10 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,351,943 times
We just lost 5 trees on our property due to a wind storm. They were all healthy and thriving but the wind was pretty strong (80 mph). One was a 30 foot pine tree, fortunately fell away from the house or it would have taken out the front of our house. The rest were big trees but planted far enough away from the house. One tree fell over and took out 2 other trees. I think the other two trees would have been fine if that larger tree hadn't gone. The 5th was a smaller, 8 foot or so pine that was kind of on it's own and just didn't have enough protection from the wind. We have a 6th tree we are trying to save. We lost a lot of shade with those trees down but if you can do something to protect your house without losing the efficiency of the shade, I would do that.

Old 07-10-2012, 04:18 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,269,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
Where I live in Southern New Jersey, there was a unusual wind storm that knocked down a lot of trees. Fortunately where I live, none of the 100 to 150 trees on my property were damaged. Most trees damaged tended to be on the edges of roads, fields, and areas with few trees where the wind could really pick up speed. I guess there's strength in numbers. Anyway, I have a dozen trees, that if they fell into the house they would cause extensive damage. I even have two monster Pine trees that must be at least 80 feet high and could turn my 3 story house into a 1 story without difficultly. The question is should I be proactive and remove any tree that is within striking distance of the house, or do I just have them inspected every few years and only remove those that are unhealthily?
When we moved into our home, we had maybe 4 huge pine trees that lined our pool fence and could very well have done massive damage to our home. When we inspected the grounds, we also discovered that the pine needles from these trees were doing a ton of damage to the property around the pool especially the roofs on the two out buildings down by the pool not to mention the grass they were killing. So, first thing we did was remove these trees to eliminate the damage and found we needed to replace two roofs on these buildings. Pine trees wear out their welcome after so many years. Then....we had 4 more beautiful spruce trees up against a big cement wall down by the pool. Again...they were turning the cement wall black, snakes lived in them and bees built big nests in them. My guests were getting stung when they would come visit to take a swim. Those are now also gone.
I agree, trees are nice and I hate to see them go but you do have to assess the potential damage they can do if they do fall. Right now, we are watching a monster cedar tree that will definitely take out our roof, fence and more should it fall. About every 3 years or so, we trim it down really good but not sure how long that is going to last.
Also...see if your town has a "policy" as to how many feet from the road a tree has to be before it is their responsibility to trim or take it down. We have a huge Oak now on the corner of our property that needs to be topped or come down and I am sure it is on Town Property..just gotta get them to move on it. Good Luck!!

Old 07-11-2012, 01:35 PM

445 posts, read 1,606,224 times
I hope none of you have this in the yard next to you... The only thing that surprises me is - that the tree is still standing - this year very few leaves came out and the ones that did look like they are dying...

When this falls it is going to take out his power line which will shake the hell out of the line all the way to the transformer and down to my house.. Most likely pulling my electrical panel and meter off the back of my house... I just hope he understands HOW F.. ing PIZZED OFF I am going to be.. x 3,168,365

http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/...22-08/001b.jpg
http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/...-08/011b-1.jpg

Last edited by Treenoid; 07-11-2012 at 01:43 PM..

Old 07-11-2012, 04:34 PM

3,515 posts, read 7,789,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QIS View Post
.... is there a market in your area for trees that are really large?
For Pine trees? No Pine trees are pretty worthless. Besides, unless it's a rare tree free of defects, tree buyers never buy trees from urban or suburban areas. Far too great a risk of metal embedded in the tree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post
Also...see if your town has a "policy" as to how many feet from the road a tree has to be before it is their responsibility to trim or take it down.
These trees are over 250 feet from the road, they are no where near power lines or the street. The closest is 25 feet away from the house, but with a 70 or 80 foot tree, it's easily within house crushing distance.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:51 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,523,665 times
Yes, pines are the worse and the first to fall. We have had hurricanes and noreasters come around and they are the first to go. If you can afford it I would get rid of them. Besides in our ravine where wind really blows hard during these type of storms, the oaks and maples and other trees have weathered storms just fine.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:23 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,497,598 times
You need to take a holistic approach to taking trees down.

Do they provide anything to you? If not then do they detract or take anything away from you?

If you take them down can you sell or use the wood?

Can you save the tree with some professional advice from an arborist (ISA certified) if you have any that look to be in bad shape?

If they're dead do they pose a threat?

Those aren't answers we can provide to you. You'll just have to use common sense and when that might not be enough consult a professional that can come to your house.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:15 PM

1,847 posts, read 3,944,362 times
Personally I just love trees... when they are growing on OTHER people's property. All three of mine were badly damaged during various hurricanes through the years and had to be removed one by one because they were lying on my roof or threatening my neighbors' property and so on.

I do not plan to plant any more. When I want to see a tree, I'll just look at somebody else's tree.

Old 07-14-2012, 12:13 AM

6,864 posts, read 12,092,766 times
Because so many people in my area thought they were an arborist or just didn't like trees and were amateurs with a chain saw, the County passed a 'tree' ordinance. We now have a list of trees of what is called 'legacy' trees. Trees that are protected from removal. To remove, a permit and inspection is required. If the tree is a 'live oak' you might not get a permit. Also any new home built must have four trees per residential lot. If there are not four, trees must be planted before a C.O. will be issued. One town in the county expanded the ordinance to include a certain amount of bushes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House