Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 11:52 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,826,941 times

Advertisements

To save some money, I bought a small mahogany dining set off Craigslist. The table is about 4x3 ft, stained reddish brown with high gloss. It's very pretty but the tabletop has lots of surface scratches. Not major scoring but many little dings all over. Wondering if anyone here has had something refinished in a local woodworking place and how much it costs (ballpark) for this.

Another option is for me to refinish it myself and I've done some online research (never done it before in real life). I want to do the minimal to it for fear of ruining the table all together since I'm new at this (don't want to sand it down or remove the finish). From what I've read, I could try first putting a new layer of wax paste on (using 000 steel wool) and see if the scratches are much less noticeable. Is this a good way to start?

TIA.

Last edited by mmyk72; 09-09-2012 at 01:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 05:20 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,449,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
To save some money, I bought a small mahogany dining set off Craigslist. The table is about 4x3 ft, stained reddish brown with high gloss. It's very pretty but the tabletop has lots of surface scratches. Not major scoring but many little dings all over. Wondering if anyone here has had something refinished in a local woodworking place and how much it costs (ballpark) for this.

Another option is for me to refinish it myself and I've done some online research (never done it before in real life). I want to do the minimal to it for fear of ruining the table all together since I'm new at this (don't want to sand it down or remove the finish). From what I've read, I could try first putting a new layer of wax paste on (using 000 steel wool) and see if the scratches are much less noticeable. Is this a good way to start?

TIA.
Numerous questions.... veneer or solid? type of finish? (personal favorite here is shellac)
Having it done professionally can get expensive, as it is time-consuming, and the end result is entirely based on the skill of the refinisher.
"Little dings" could be troublesome....
Can't comment on the paste wax/ 000 steel wool, as I have only done the whole enchilada (stripping, sanding, refinishing).

Old 09-09-2012, 10:38 AM

The table is solid wood. The finish is very glossy but I don't know the difference between shellac, poly-u, lacquar, etc. and what's on it. I'll take a pic after the table arrives (having stored right now).

Old 09-09-2012, 11:21 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Tablecloth Problem solved. Next?

Old 09-09-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Tablecloth Problem solved. Next?
I hate to cover up a piece of 'real' furniture that can potentially be really beautiful.

The tablecloth would be something I'd used if I bought a used and beat-up Ikea table... which I thought about before.

Old 09-09-2012, 02:17 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,371,972 times
Scuff-sand it with 400 grit sandpaper. Apply several thin coats of a good quality polyurethane, sanding between each coat with 400 or 600 grit paper. You can use satin poly, or gloss poly, depending on how shiny you want the finish to be.

Personally, I really like rubbing in several dozen applications of tung oil or teak oil, but that requires sanding it down to bare wood - which is something you apparently don't want to do.

Old 09-09-2012, 02:35 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,561,936 times
Quote:
The table is solid wood. The finish is very glossy but I don't know the difference between shellac, poly-u, lacquar, etc. and what's on it. I'll take a pic after the table arrives (having stored right now).
Have you thought about painting the table after some sanding?

Old 09-09-2012, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Have you thought about painting the table after some sanding?

No way - This is a classic mahogany piece. Painting will ruin it for sure!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George
Scuff-sand it with 400 grit sandpaper

So if I understand correctly, I'll need to sand off the glossy finish that's on there now, but without getting all the way to the wood. Correct??

Old 09-09-2012, 08:42 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,371,972 times
Quote:
So if I understand correctly, I'll need to sand off the glossy finish that's on there now, but without getting all the way to the wood. Correct??
That is correct. Without a light scuff, the new poly will not adhere well. You don't need to sand down anywhere near "all the way to the wood." You just need to break the glaze of the old finish.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:35 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
As to the cost for others to do it. A dining table is typically $1000 to re-finish (top, sides, legs and leafs). We had three small table tops only refinished fo $300.

DIY just sand the finish off, then sand with 100, 120, 150 220 grits. Use a good poly, and sand with 220 between coats. OIl based poly will turn yellowish over time if it gets sunlight on it. Water base stays clear. Some like the yellowing, it looks like patina.

If you want to preserve the patina, just scuff up the existing fiinish and coat it with satin poly (NOT GLOSS).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House