Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 05:28 PM

671 posts, read 1,546,683 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I have a house currently being built that is roughly 4600 SF in living space (counting the fully finished basement). I have a few quick questions:

(1) The builder broke their promise to me and put in a single furnace instead of 2 furnaces in two zones. If I demanded that they fix it, how much do you think it would cost them to do it (in their perspective as the builder)?

(2) How many BTUs would be ideal for such a place if it was 1 furnace? What about 2 furnaces in two zones?

(3) Any thoughts on the possibility of just creating a two-zone system with a single furnace, as in effectiveness/efficiency/cost?

Thanks!

Old 10-10-2012, 05:58 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
What do you mean by "The builder broke their promise to me "?
Are you talking about the contract you signed, or something casually talked about?

Old 10-10-2012, 06:22 PM

It is a semi custom home. Things that are standard are not explicitly itemized in the sales agreement. That said, it was explicitly stated verbally by the rep prior to signing as what I would have. And much to their disadvantage their rep at the inspection today admitted that they did not get me what they promised while in the presence of a neutral third party, aka the inspector.

I dont appreciate the way you structured your post. If you are not going to answer my questions at the very least stop yourself from starting an unhelpful line of questioning.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:15 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molukai View Post
It is a semi custom home.
Things that are standard are not explicitly itemized in the sales agreement. That said...
That said... in anything other than a production home the CONTRACT spells out everything.
"If it is written down it didn't happen"

Quote:
I dont appreciate the way you structured your post.
Tough. Don't clutter the problem you post about with the extraneous.
---
Back on point:
Quote:
...roughly 4600 SF in living space (counting the fully finished basement).
How many BTUs would be ideal... What about 2 furnaces in two zones?
The BTU (heat loss) will be the same.

Quote:
Any thoughts on the possibility of just creating a two-zone system with a single furnace...
It happens every day.

These are design questions... and the sort of thing that will (typically) have the architect and the
HVAC contractor present two or three practical options that will then be sorted through by the builder
and the BUYER. Everything about the choices will be negotiated.

So... what did your builder install for you?

Old 10-10-2012, 07:30 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
I can't answer your questions, but I had a home roughly the size of yours with one furnace, and one of the problems I had with it was delivering sufficient air (whether hot or cold) to the rooms furthest from the furnace. To be fair, those rooms were also over a crawl space as opposed to the basement, and the furnace heated/cooled those crawl spaces as well to keep the floors from getting cold in the winter. (The rooms were on each side of an "interior" open patio.) Too much air velocity and it's noisy. Not enough and it's not efficient.

Just something for you to talk to your contractor about....

Old 10-10-2012, 07:50 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Depends on the design of the home and your climate.

In my climate where it gets to 10-20f in winter you would need 140,000 BTUs, and would have a lot of loss in the ductwork so would go over that. Seems a lot more efficient to have two zones, if two story, upper and lower. Heat rises and if only bedrooms upstairs that one would need to run as much.

There are also ductwork fans that can be installed to give the air an extra push to get to the farthest rooms, but that adds to the electric bill.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:59 PM

WyoNerk, that's what I am afraid of. My family owns a home built in the 1990s of the same general SF, and inconsistent heat dispersion was a common issue.

Hemlock, the house is being built near the Potomac river in Maryland.

MrRational, your absolutely rude approach should not elicit my response, but I felt obligated to inform you that despite what you may think in your own little world, not everything you think is correct. This is such an instance. FOR THIS SPECIFIC BUILDER: The sales agreement (aka builder contract) does not list items. That is reserved for the 'options' addendum, which only lists upgrades to standard options. I have covered this earlier, but apparently your question asking again is worrying me about your reading comprehension; I can't make it more simple than I had already said it. And no, there is no 'standards' sheet that lists the standard items. On the options sheet, however, there is a note for my two electronic air filter systems for the TWO ZONE system (the filter systems in themselves are additions/upgrades, hence why they would be on that sheet). And as I had said, it is all moot as the sales representative today had verbally said that they were wrong in front of a neutral third party during the house inspection. So are you happy? Is your life now fulfilled? I certainly hope so. I got out of bed just to type this up for you. It goes without saying that any other mindless drivel you spew on this thread will be ignored.

Last edited by molukai; 10-10-2012 at 08:19 PM..

Old 10-10-2012, 08:34 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:

I dont appreciate the way you structured your post. If you are not going to answer my questions at the very least stop yourself from starting an unhelpful line of questioning.
Sorry, but it is a perfectly logical line of questions - given what you stated in the post I was referring to.

There is no point in talking about demands and costs... " If I demanded that they fix it, how much do you think it would cost them to do it (in their perspective as the builder)?" - if you do not have a contract stating said demands.

"So are you happy? Is your life now fulfilled? " is ruder than anything else on this thread....

Old 10-10-2012, 08:41 PM

Pitt Chick/MrRational, no need to jump back and forth between your usernames. And again, read what I actually wrote before talking.

There is written evidence that there are to be two furnaces.
There is a verbal admission in front of a neutral party.

You are obviously not a lawyer, because if you were you would know that this is an open and shut case.

When people act like a troll, I react in kind. So just stop yourself.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:42 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
On the options sheet, however, there is a note for my two electronic air filter systems for the TWO ZONE system (the filter systems in themselves are additions/upgrades, hence why they would be on that sheet).
A two zone system is not necessarily indicative of two furnaces. I have 4 zones in my house and will have 7 when it's complete. One boiler....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House