Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 10:39 AM

5,276 posts, read 6,209,830 times

Advertisements

I like AKCK's idea of using the same colors as the house but switching/reversing the colors from main/accent/trim. This also works well on additions to homes when you want to visually separate new from old without it looking tacked on.

Another option would be switching the siding color but maintaing the same colors on the trim, doors, shutters, etc.

In general barn red, white wash and aged wood (ie washed out gray or a lighter brown) tend to also be pretty forgiving on outbuildings. I think where it stands out most is if you go from a very red brick to a painted siding since you are switching materials, scale and siding as well as color. Or if you go from 3-4 colors on the house to a monotone shed.

Since it will be such a small building you could alway paint it your prefered colors as the first coat and then decide if you want the final coat to be those or closer to the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 03:18 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,140,529 times
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Im still on the fence on which way to go. My house is gray with white trim, kind of boring. I was thinking of painting the shed something completely different. Im not sure yet. I've been looking at all sorts of pictures and I just adore red sheds or dark greens. I have some time to mull it over and hoping the weather cooperates so I can paint it before winter!

Old 10-13-2012, 03:38 PM

9,359 posts, read 14,096,552 times
I would add a touch of green to the gray of the house to create a new color for the shed. Then I would use the same white trim color as the house, and add even greener window boxes or secondary trim. Those colors would look so good with yellow/orange/lime flowers growing next to the shed or in the window boxes.

Old 10-14-2012, 01:19 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,041,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
I have woods in the rear of my property. My shed is bask at the edge of the woods I painted mine two shades of green to kind of blend in with the woods. If it was close to the house, I would try to match the house, or at least compliment it.
My shed is way out back, right in front of the woods too.......not in the middle of my lot, but off to one side. I had it covered with siding like this.....the natural cedar color.

Hand Split Shake Siding - Nailite Vinyl Exterior Home Siding | ABC Home Center

My thinking was the same as yours, I wanted it to blend into the woods instead of matching my house.

Expensive, but once I saw that siding in the store, I knew I would never be happy with anything else.

I spend a lot of time looking out at the woods and sitting on my patio swing......and I have not regretted my decision......I love it.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:04 PM

24,473 posts, read 17,211,031 times
I live in a cape style house with clapboard front and cedar shingle sides. I painted the front a dark blue, white trim all around which my wife loved and then I surprised her one day by painting the front of the shed to match. I think it looks great having them match but my wife doesn't think so.
Do match your house or compliment it. In my opinion it will look good.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:11 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,425,771 times
We have a brick ranch. The first outbuilding is painted the typical barn red, white trim. Similar to the red brick with cream accents. The second outbuilding was an adorable little cottage look with a loft and front porch. Adored that thing. Went with an historic red white and blue color palette and it was adorable as can be. But sitting not too far from the house with the one outbuilding matching at that one, as cute as it was, not matching was so off. If it was in the pasture or a different field it would have been fine, but being in the front yard (which is still over an acre) just looked silly. As much as I love that cottage look, I say stick with matching colors.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:20 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,948,248 times
I would go bold and do an entirely different color scheme...have fun with it

Old 10-15-2012, 11:33 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,541,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Im still on the fence on which way to go. My house is gray with white trim, kind of boring. I was thinking of painting the shed something completely different. Im not sure yet. I've been looking at all sorts of pictures and I just adore red sheds or dark greens. I have some time to mull it over and hoping the weather cooperates so I can paint it before winter!
If you don't like your current house colors, then by all means, do experiment with different colors. That way, you can try out a series of combinations until you find one you like. Once there, you can then use the same color scheme on your house.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:06 PM

18,757 posts, read 11,791,155 times
I vote for matching the house colors. Just don't go wild and paint it some crazy color like purple. Someone in our neighborhood painted their fence purple and it was obnoxious. My realtor friend would take prospective clients another route so they wouldn't see it. Someone else bought the house and they painted the fence a reasonable color. We were all grateful.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:23 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,211,668 times
We have several out buildings, so we painted them all to match. Of course, none of them look like much more than a shed. If you have a structure with "personality" I would consider painting it a little different, as long as it complimented the existing colors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House