Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2007, 05:47 PM

99 posts, read 408,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj8900 View Post
In response to all the comments about the merits of granite-

Has anyone taken into account that granite is really a very poor choice from a sustainable standpoint? I would be interested to know just how long the average American keeps their granite counters for... and what happens to all these discarded counters? If you are interested in a look similar to granite, try looking at some of the more environmentally friendly solid surfacing options, or God forbid... laminate! I'm thinking of one in particular which incorporates recycled glass...

If you look at the companies which advertise on HGTV, you quickly realize that it is in their best interests to push this exaggerated sense of luxury which encourages Americans to keep up with whatever is being pushed as the new "norm" in the realestate market...
Perhaps it is "in their best interests" but the bottom line is their marketing successes (and HGTV & similar shows) have helped fuel the demand. Like it or not, that perceived "want" or even "gotta have" translates to a marketing and/or pricing issue for the majority of sellers. If the majority of buyers are looking for - or even impressed thus influenced by - granite, granite in the kitchen (& bathrooms, etc) will help marketability and likely price as well. I'd venture a guess that the OP that deducts for granite counter tops is in the minority.

Personally, I prefer the ease of care with products such as Zodiaq, but I really like things like the feel & look (the veining and the high gloss) of granite. I believe the avg home buyer is more familiar with granite and perceive it as a higher quality than other solid surfaces. The lower price point is enough to tilt the scales for me.

I was surprised to read that soapstone has a lower price point than granite - I had the impression that it was more expensive, not less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 06:13 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,310,297 times
I don't have granite because it's a "must have" or a fad, or because of possible future resale value. I have it because I like it - it's as plain as that. I don't care what the market says, or what HGTV says, or even what my neighbors say. I simply like it.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:41 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,050,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_F View Post
I don't have granite because it's a "must have" or a fad, or because of possible future resale value. I have it because I like it - it's as plain as that. I don't care what the market says, or what HGTV says, or even what my neighbors say. I simply like it.
Girl, you took the words right outta my mouth! Reps for you!!!

Old 12-07-2007, 06:50 PM

460 posts, read 1,770,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxor View Post
Is it okay to put new granite countertops on older cabinets? Or is that like slapping lipstick on a pig? Seriously. I am so sick of my laminate countertops and want to replace them with granite or stone, but the cabinets are still in decent shape (they are not pretty to look at, but they are fine as far as construction goes). I would hate to rip out the cabinets just for aesthetics, but also don't want to throw money into nice countertops and have to replace the whole thing a couple years later.
Are the cabinets in good enough condition to simply paint them? That might be all you need to bring them up to speed with new countertops.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:21 PM

652 posts, read 2,265,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdzgon View Post

I was surprised to read that soapstone has a lower price point than granite - I had the impression that it was more expensive, not less.
I think one of the reasons is because soapstone is easier to fabricate. Its a lot softer than granite. Easier to work with. That doesn't mean its less durable. Quite the opposite. Its VERY durable and you can take your pots and pans directly off the stove and put them right on the SS counters.
If you get scratches you simply take a fine sandpaper and sand em' right out.
And all it takes is some mineral oil to make em' looked all spruced up. Just wipe it on. I've had every counter imaginable and my fav hands down is soapstone because it has such a warm look to it. Thats my personal taste though.
You can see the SS counters I fabricated in my own kitchen in my web site if you want in my profile here in the Goose Hill Rd Project....thats the pic of the finished kitchen.
The pic of me fabricating them are in the section that say's "Andy On The Job"

edit: just checked my site...the pic seem to be coming up slow tonight for me..hmmmm

I also have a feeling its less expensive because most people lean to granite.
SS also comes in different prices for different qualities/ some with more veins some jet black...some even is green. I love the stuff!!!
andy

Old 12-11-2007, 08:22 PM

1,230 posts, read 3,177,446 times
I personally do not care for them. IMO they are much to "formal" looking for my taste. I did my own thing and put Cobalt Blue Tile on my counter tops. I always get complements on it because it isn't something people see often.

Old 12-12-2007, 06:04 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,037,582 times
Sounds nice, Sherrenee
What kind of grout do you have? Dark?

Old 12-12-2007, 06:31 AM

1,216 posts, read 5,778,626 times
ahhh, we just LOVE blue, and Cobalt is just stunning!!

When we choose things for our kitchen, we kept everything pretty much "neutral"
oak cabinets, almond appliances, earth toned tile and counter tops

I used painting of walls to add a splash of color, those can be changes easier.
I went with Hydrangea Blue and Yellow.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:51 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,265,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs1366 View Post
ahhh, we just LOVE blue, and Cobalt is just stunning!!

When we choose things for our kitchen, we kept everything pretty much "neutral"
oak cabinets, almond appliances, earth toned tile and counter tops

I used painting of walls to add a splash of color, those can be changes easier.
I went with Hydrangea Blue and Yellow.
I think this is a wise way to go. Having struggled with a house that previous owners decorated badly, I have learned to love neutral and light colors in the permanent features and add color and pattern in paint and fabric. I've also been down the path of painting a room way too dark and hating the result. It looked so good in small amounts but drastically changed the whole room for the worse. Of course the previous owners also paid for their bad choices - the house stayed on the market for a really long time and they had to take my low-ball bid for it.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:00 AM

1,216 posts, read 5,778,626 times
>>painting a room way too dark

Uggg -- i did this in my powder room. it ended up way too dark, but I ended up "rag rolling" over the paint with an iridescent pearl. looks MUCH better.

whoops -- guess i'm getting a bit OT here.

but back to counter tops ... I too try not to go with what is "IN" according to HGtv, etc ... and go with what we are comfortable with. My options at the time were Formica or Stoneite ... and i'm very happy with our choice ... and hopefully it wont hinder a sale when we go to sell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House