Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 11:09 AM

1,378 posts, read 6,217,826 times

Advertisements

You don't have to control something to have it marketed. Look at what these people on this thread have said. The original question posted was

"Granite Counter tops...are they the 'only' acceptable surface now?"

Because there is so much talk about granite out in the public, it gives the perception that it's the "must have" product. So in fact maybe no one in particular might be marketing it in the terms that you are thinking as standard marketing practices it still gets a lot of PR from all types of entities that gives the public the "perception" that it's the most acceptable surface.

Personally for me I feel quartz is a better product, but it's costly. There isn't necessarily a wrong or right answer, it's what product is going to work best for you and your family's lifestyle. This is just my opinion, doesn't mean it's gospel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 11:19 AM

13,249 posts, read 21,874,212 times
You're confusing "marketing" with "preferences". Granite is the standard to be measured against and preferred by most people. That's why it's so popular.

I will agree that other counter materials are perfectly acceptable and preferred by some people as well. I'm just trying to correct what I see as misinformation. Granite is not overly marketed. That's all I'm saying.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:28 AM

I don't necessarily think granite is preferred by most people. It looks good and they can afford it. Because builders use it so readily they can offer a cheaper price on it because they are buying it in large quantities. So when working with a builder, he's going to tell the client he can get a better deal on granite than say another type of counter top because that is what he is typically working with. Some builders will tell the client that they don't use anything else but granite. The clients not even allowed to have an option. So if the client likes the house enough, he's not necessarily going walk away from it just because the countertops aren't what he wanted. Does that make sense? So to me, it's like the product is being marketed in a sense by the builder, not because it's the best product but because it's convenient for the builder. But if it's a custom home, well that can make things different as far as what options you have.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:44 AM

Why can't builders buy the made-man products in large quantities at reduced prices? I'm sure they can. I believe they cater to what their buyers want. Nobody is forcing buyers to buy from a builder that uses materials they don't want. I do feel funny arguing that point with a realtor though. What is it that your clients tell you they want?

I know when we remodeled a kitchen, we chose granite because that's what we preferred.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:47 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,069,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
. People in this thread seem to think that there's some nefarious promotion of granite by HGTV. Honest question: Have you seen any advertisements for granite on HGTV? I don't watch TV, so I don't know. Since nobody controls granite, I would wonder who would pay for it.
heh
Good point, kdog.
It's probably less marketing/advertising than merely a "it costs more, but it's worth it" cache on HGTV. As in, you don't really need it, but everyone else is getting it, wouldn't you like it, too? No doubt HGTV plays this up with their glossy flip-type shows--I don't watch that stuff either, so I can't comment on any possible advertisement. But people do see things on TV, and then want them.

Quote:
Now your Corians and Silestones are different matters. They're are single-sourced by huge corporations who control the product from start to finish and set the prices, and produce the shiny brochures, TV ads, and other marketing gimmicks that you pay for when you buy the stuff. That's why they're more expensive than granite. You can't even buy these products unless you're in the network. Try buying Corian. They only sell it through their dealers, and it's installed only by contractors they control. Now that is a cartel. Contrast that to a granite yard where anybody can walk in and they'll happily show you around and sell you slabs of granite that you select. Then you get to pick the installer of your choice. That's free enterprise, with no funny business. And another good reason to stick with natural stone.
Very insightful!
In our consumerist society, so many things do not live up to the hype.
And for me, granite does.
As we finish another room, I'm getting some more bianco romano installed, hopefully this week. We did just go to a granite yard and pick it out.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:55 AM

Builders can buy other products, but if you go out and look at a lot of the spec homes, at least here in Idaho, most of them use granite. So they buy granite in large quantities. It's cheaper for them to use that than say other products. I can't tell you what's going on behind closed doors because I don't know what kind of deal these builders get, but I think they must be getting something because they all use it. Just my opinion not necessarily fact mind you.

Most clients I work with have been under the impression that granite is the best because it's everywhere. So I think that's the perception they get because that is mainly what they see in all the houses they look at besides laminate.

Last edited by Torrie; 10-16-2007 at 12:09 PM..

Old 10-16-2007, 01:22 PM

311 posts, read 1,826,354 times
Each counter surface has its merits whether its budgetwise or whether you are buying it for looks. Personally we didn't get granite because I was sick of looking at it everywhere and tired of trying to be sold on it. Granite might not be marketed in the sense of ads on TV, but go to any kitchen design place and they will try to push granite on you. Look through the papers and you'll see in home for sale descriptions whether or not the kitchen has granite - like that should really make me want to come look at a house more. There is plenty of hype about granite, but I've seem plenty of ugly ones, plenty of granites that have been ruined by hot pans (cracks do happen), stains on them because people do and will get lazy and not bother sealing them. Its popularity will wane. Zinc, soapstone and some other newer materials are becoming more the hype now.

Old 10-16-2007, 01:43 PM

13,412 posts, read 28,782,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srib View Post
Each counter surface has its merits whether its budgetwise or whether you are buying it for looks. Personally we didn't get granite because I was sick of looking at it everywhere and tired of trying to be sold on it. Granite might not be marketed in the sense of ads on TV, but go to any kitchen design place and they will try to push granite on you. Look through the papers and you'll see in home for sale descriptions whether or not the kitchen has granite - like that should really make me want to come look at a house more. There is plenty of hype about granite, but I've seem plenty of ugly ones, plenty of granites that have been ruined by hot pans (cracks do happen), stains on them because people do and will get lazy and not bother sealing them. Its popularity will wane. Zinc, soapstone and some other newer materials are becoming more the hype now.
I can't speak for the rest but zinc has been around for decades in Europe

Old 10-16-2007, 02:03 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,771,000 times
We have granite now but we had concrete in our former home and we poured it ourselves. It turned out great but confused the realtor. I think I would rip out the granite we have and do concrete again in a heartbeat.

Old 10-16-2007, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I can't speak for the rest but zinc has been around for decades in Europe
Zinc has been around for decades in the USA as well, particularly in the 20's, when a variety of metal counters were used.

Zinc will never be a mainstream counter material in this country. It's insanely expensive, around $150 to $200 sq/ft (or $300/$400 per linear foot on 2' deep counters). It's very soft and scratches easily. It stains easily, and can distort from heat if you place hot pans on it. If you want metal counters, stainless steel is a much better choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House