Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 07:03 PM

460 posts, read 1,771,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
I don't think granite is the *only* countertop to consider, it's great to explore other materials.
Good point.

Just today, I was looking at countertop materials made from recycled glass. They were SUPER lovely (kind of shiny - like glass, but lovely).

I agree with pp who mentioned how there are many older homes listed with no upgrades...

Does anyone know of any 'green', eco-friendly counter options besides the recycled glass ones I looked at today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2007, 07:32 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,742,814 times
I like the durability and resistance to scratching. Our Kitchen and our Master Bath have granite tops.

Old 10-13-2007, 08:36 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,093,485 times
For bathrooms, I like the all-in-one countertop/sink options from Corian.

Old 10-14-2007, 09:22 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,649,543 times
I don't care for granite. But prefer either wood or tile. And don't like how H&G channel presents granite and metal appliances like you are just out of touch if you don't install them right now! My preference is to have white appliances in a white/yellow kitchen. No red, purple or blue please!

Old 10-14-2007, 12:05 PM

1,502 posts, read 7,382,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Sometimes I think it is a HGTV thing. Sure at certain price points I would expect to see upgraded counter tops, but I know some people prefer things like soapstone instead granite.

I would not expect to see granit countertops in homes at my price range. Again, I think it is a buzz word kind of thing much like the stainless steel appliance craze (again not in my price range!)
My husband and I laugh because when we watch the HGTV and people are looking at starter homes (the lower price range) and act dissapointed because the kitchen doesn't have granite. That's the problem people want to start out with their first home having everything, it amazes me to see couple in these huge McMansions.

We just had a house built and we put Corian in and I really love them. Our last house had builder grade cream laminate that showed everything, I hated them.

Old 10-14-2007, 01:18 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,312,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
I put hot pans on granite all the time.
I have had granite countertops since '96 with no problems whatsoever and I don't understand all this talk about maintenance.
Sealing once a year is high maintenance?
OTOH
I don't think granite is the *only* countertop to consider, it's great to explore other materials.
Agreed. I've only had mine for about a year, but I love it. It's time to reseal, and it doesn't appear to be much work. Regular maintenance is SO easy, and I don't have to deal with stain issues like I did with formica all those years.

I love the cool surface, and I really love the color. Our house is an open floor plan, with the living room, dining room and kitchen in one very large space. The granite is a very nice look that compliments the entire space. Plus, it's shiny. I like shiny.

As cil said, though, it's not the only countertop to consider. I first looked at Corian, but wasn't crazy about it. Before we found our builder, we had pretty much decided on Silestone. However, our builder said he could get granite for less, so we decided to go with it. I fell in love with the uba tuba color, and that was that.

Old 10-14-2007, 01:27 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,520,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurl View Post
Whenever I watch HGTV, people always comment negatively if a kitchen doesn't have granite. No matter what the price point of the home, 'granite' seems to be all that matters.

Is this and HGTV thing, or does granite really matter that much? If you're selling a home do you 'have' to have granite to get a good price?
We are first time homebuyers. Things such as granite countertops, s/s appliances & smoot top ranges were not/are not a priority for us right now. We are much more concerned about structure of the home, condition of the countertops (can we still get some life out of them or do they need to be replaced) & bathrooms, eletrical wiring & updates, condition of roof, windows, siding, & foundation.

I watch HGTV & laugh a lot b/c it is very "trendy" & as if everyone is working off of a $50,000 kitchen budget Lots of good tips & ideas, but reality is what one can afford.

If you price your house right & the home is structurally sound, buyers will want to take a 2nd look. Granite will be "nice", but will it get them in for a second showing or to make an offer?

Old 10-15-2007, 09:19 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,154,200 times
Quote:
Whenever I watch HGTV, people always comment negatively if a kitchen doesn't have granite. No matter what the price point of the home, 'granite' seems to be all that matters.

Is this and HGTV thing, or does granite really matter that much? If you're selling a home do you 'have' to have granite to get a good price?
I'd knock money off for granite countertops since I would replace them immediately. I don't like them and I would prefer to buy a house with a kitchen in need of an update so I can be the one to choose everything. I don't want to buy a house with a newly-renovated kitchen, since I'll have to pay for THEIR taste in kitchens before I rip it all out and pay for a new kitchen AGAIN. No thanks!

Old 10-15-2007, 10:05 AM

523 posts, read 1,681,621 times
Default Recycled Glass

Quote:
Good point.

Just today, I was looking at countertop materials made from recycled glass. They were SUPER lovely (kind of shiny - like glass, but lovely).

I agree with pp who mentioned how there are many older homes listed with no upgrades...

Does anyone know of any 'green', eco-friendly counter options besides the recycled glass ones I looked at today?
Thanks for mentioning this alternative. I love the idea and am certainly going to look into it for our countertops. (We've got the builder's original laminate, cream color. Twenty years old, but still look new.)

I, too, laugh at HGTV. It kills me when so much effort is spent on destroying usable kitchen cabinets which are being replaced because they appear outdated. (Maybe all the banging is a macho-thing. ) All that debris just ends up in a landfill. I wish more renovators would take the time to remove the cabinets by the same method as installation - unscrew them. Then put them on the curb as a give away or arrange to donate them. Or list them on The Freecycle Network -- there's always someone looking for cabinets.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:47 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,026,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxor View Post
While I wouldn't say it's essential, I don't understand why people think it's such a negative thing that buyers are looking for "granite" or "stone" in every price point. I hear a lot of talk about trends and cycles. Do people actually believe that granite will look dated in a couple years and that the future of kitchen countertops is laminate or formica?

I love the quartz. The durability is great; if I accidentally set a hot pan or plate on it, I don't need to rip out the whole counter. It's fairly easy to clean. The material lasts longer than laminate. What's not to love?
I just read an article the other day regarding bamboo countertops. some new company that makes bamboo cutting boards is expanding to countertops. granite may be "in" right now, who knows what will be "in" in 10/15 years. who knows 15 years from now buyers might be out looking at homes saying UGH not another granite kitchen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House