Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 04:21 PM

389 posts, read 3,539,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmewright View Post
I have a home built in the 40's and the original wood floor was redone about 8 years ago. I have had 5 dogs (4 of them large) and 2 cats. The floor has definitely been abused but still has no scratches and looks great except for the dog hair martinez mentioned . Now, when a 3 year old drops a monster truck on it, that's another story I am curious about your brother's ideas. I have seen some concrete floors done and they are AMAZING, if this is what you are talking about . Kinda like a huge slab of natural stone or decorative tiles, etc... The poster really loved it and mentioned the dogs sliding alot but no scratches. Take some pics if you decide to do it. I would love to see them.
Right now my dad and brother work together, but dad's retiring, so my brother will be on his own until he hires someone to help, but they have done some gorgeous stuff! My brothers office in his house is done in an acid wash, and it's beautiful. I would love to do that in the house. They put down backer board like you would put down for tile, and then they put whatever the name of the product is that they use. They can color it to exactly what I want, and do a ton of different designs. They also did the face of our fireplace at our old house. I think I will do that again for sure, but this time I want it to look like slate tiles. As far as the floor goes, I really think this probably is my best bet because I know it's going to hold up, and if for some freaky reason something does happen, I know I have someone who can fix it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 06:06 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,656,906 times
Turtle, I had no idea you could do this on a floor that was not a concrete slab. You have set my mind racing! Oh the things I could do! Send them on over this way when they are done

Old 10-16-2007, 10:04 AM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times
We have had wood floors for 13 years now and a formerly very active Golden and two still very active kids (kleets, shoes, friends, etc.). We have a pool and live in a colder area but do not have a mudroom to absorb the shock of entering our home directly from outside. Our floors have been abused and do show wear. They need to be refinished but with our Golden being so old now and not being able to get up stairs well, we are stuck until he is gone. All this said, I would not put anything else down for flooring. I love them. They are warm and beautiful even if they are worn. I would not use a laminate. I have seen them fail and they can not be refinshed like solid hardwood can. JMHO Jay

Old 10-18-2007, 10:16 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,462,852 times
This has been my experience:

Also an older home, 1940's, original hardwood floors (red oak), 2 muscular stocky active dogs (roughly 70-75lbs each). The finish was wax, original red oak natural color, and the scratches definitely showed, but once the floors were refinished - beautiful! All the scratches came out no problem and the floors looked like they were brand new !

For the last few years we've been living in another house with concrete floors and I worry far less about the floors, for sure.

We're about to move back to the 1940's house and I just retouched all the floors myself (fresh coat of wax) and bought additional rugs to further cover the floors - it won't be foolproof, but it will help the main traffic areas.

A polyurethane finish would hold up better/last longer, but the wax is a mellow finish and the scratches don't show quite as much. Also wax is a quick do it yourself fix whenever there's a problem. Poly is superior in dealing with liquid though.

There's nothing quite like real wood, and you have the option to refinish if it gets rough-looking, but concrete will be easier on your nerves .

Old 10-20-2007, 09:38 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
If you go with hard wood like oak instead of pine or cherry, and keep the finish fairly light you should be OK. If you are the kind of person who a few scratches will bother, you should probably go with something else. I think the patina of family use only adds to the charm of a wood floor.

Old 10-20-2007, 01:04 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
If you go with hard wood like oak instead of pine or cherry, and keep the finish fairly light you should be OK. If you are the kind of person who a few scratches will bother, you should probably go with something else. I think the patina of family use only adds to the charm of a wood floor.
Completely agree.
Emphasis on the light finish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House