Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 09:18 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
13 x 17 is tiny. 17 is not bad if the other dimenson is 20 or 24. You would need a very skinny table and small chairs and no sideboard or server. I really do not see the point in a dining room smaller than 20 x 20. That may be the reason so many people see them as pointless, often they are too small to really be useable.
20 x 20 for a dining room? You could get two cars in a room that was 20 x 20! My parents had a room in their home that was 20 x20 exactly. In it, they had two 9 x 12 rugs. In one area was a dining table and chairs that seated six and a large china hutch. In the other was a large sofa that pulled out into a bed, two end tables, a coffee table, two recliner chairs. There were also three book cases in the room. You must have a HUGE dining table.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 10:09 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
20 x 20 for a dining room? You could get two cars in a room that was 20 x 20! My parents had a room in their home that was 20 x20 exactly. In it, they had two 9 x 12 rugs. In one area was a dining table and chairs that seated six and a large china hutch. In the other was a large sofa that pulled out into a bed, two end tables, a coffee table, two recliner chairs. There were also three book cases in the room. You must have a HUGE dining table.
Coldjensens and I both have very old houses. Mine is over 100 years old. Almost all of my rooms are near 20 x 20 except for a small bedroom that was cut in half for a bathroom. When you have large rooms with high ceilings, you don't want to feel cramped. I couldn't imagine having a livingroom and dining room in a 20 x 20 space. .

A dining room table that seats 12 people with extensions is 15' long. Some are longer than that. Since width is 45", the room doesn' tneed to be 20' widem but would be most comfortable at least 18' wide. That allows for 2' to pull out chairs, 3' to walk around the table, and 2' on each wall for furniture like china closets and buffets.

I have a friend whose dining table is so big when the extensions are put in it that it extends through the french doors into the living room and her dining room is 20 feet long! It's a very elegant old house

Old 12-11-2012, 07:01 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Have you never been camping?

I'll be your guest! You don't have to rent me! I'll visit for free!

Tried you rep you for this witty post! Gotta spread the love!

Cool, I will look forward to your visit, but can you do me a favor also?, please pick up Ohiogirl81 on your way, thanks I'm sure she would love to come as well.

Hey, we can all use my bathroom......now where are these dam scrubbing bubbles when you need them???

Old 12-11-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Cool, I will look forward to your visit, but can you do me a favor also?, please pick up Ohiogirl81 on your way, thanks I'm sure she would love to come as well.
If we were heading to California, she'd be on my way! But I'm sure we can work sometihng out!

Quote:
Hey, we can all use my bathroom......now where are these dam scrubbing bubbles when you need them???
There's no need to clean! We're FAMILY!

Old 12-11-2012, 05:56 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Have you never been camping?
I have, but ... I don't live in the woods! There's not a spot in my yard that is away from neighbors' eyes, unless I crawl behind the climbing rose bush and the porch wall. Ouch.

Quote:
I can share!

Old 12-11-2012, 06:04 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
I grew up with one bathroom for 4 people, and the first house I bought had one bathroom for my husband and I and our two kids. That said, I've upgraded to 2 bathrooms and I won't have less than 2 anymore if there are more than 2 people living in the home. For the same reason I won't live somewhere with no internet access. Times change.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I have, but ... I don't live in the woods! There's not a spot in my yard that is away from neighbors' eyes, unless I crawl behind the climbing rose bush and the porch wall. Ouch.
You don't have to go outside.

You can buy this for $19.99: Emergency Supplies - Bucket Style Toilet

Or you can make it with a drywall compound bucket and a child potty seat.

Just fill it with a few inches of water. Put it in the basement.

Or you can go all out by putting the toilet bags and chemicals inside it.

We're talking for emergencies when the only one toilet in the house isn't working.

You can manage for a night until the plumber comes without going to a motel.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:19 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Quote:
Coldjensens and I both have very old houses. Mine is over 100 years old. Almost all of my rooms are near 20 x 20 except for a small bedroom that was cut in half for a bathroom. When you have large rooms with high ceilings, you don't want to feel cramped. I couldn't imagine having a livingroom and dining room in a 20 x 20 space. .

A dining room table that seats 12 people with extensions is 15' long. Some are longer than that. Since width is 45", the room doesn' tneed to be 20' widem but would be most comfortable at least 18' wide. That allows for 2' to pull out chairs, 3' to walk around the table, and 2' on each wall for furniture like china closets and buffets.

I have a friend whose dining table is so big when the extensions are put in it that it extends through the french doors into the living room and her dining room is 20 feet long! It's a very elegant old house
My 1916 house is only 1800 sq feet but still has a 15'X15' formal dining room AND a separate 9'X9' "breakfast room" right next to it.

Priorities were different back then!

Old 12-12-2012, 07:26 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
You can manage for a night until the plumber comes without going to a motel.
LOL. I should just get a chamber pot from an antique shop! Why not be fancy?

Old 12-12-2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
LOL. I should just get a chamber pot from an antique shop! Why not be fancy?
Sounds like a plan!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House