Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2013, 08:25 PM

520 posts, read 3,919,549 times

Advertisements

Our dishwasher started to act again and is not draining/pumping all the water out.
After it finishes, there is still a good 1/2 of water at the bottom.

Doing some searches, it has been has suggested it could either be a bad pump or float switch/bad valve. Of course, you won't really know till you start
replacing parts one by one.

How difficult is it to replace these parts? I've never done anything like this before but I'm also not afraid
to tackle a new project. Is this pretty straight forward: pull out DW from under cabinet, replace bad piece, and install new piece?

Also, this is not the first time our DW has had this problem. When we moved in, this happened twice in the first year. Because we had the home warranty, I didn't really think much of it. Not sure how old the DW is.
I couldn't find any labels or anything with a manufacturing date. If this is the original DW from when the house was built, then this DW is about 10-12 years old.

At what point or how do you know if it is better to buy these parts or just get a new DW?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 08:59 PM

3,968 posts, read 8,498,163 times
You might want to check for dirt and scum buildup on the float before you start replacing things. Ours did that and we were able to correct it by removing the float and cleaning it good so that it could slide up and down easily and completely.

Dishwasher Repair Guide - Check dishwasher float assembly

Old 01-01-2013, 09:54 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Some dishwashers are configured to drain into the garbage disposal; might want to check that too.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:25 PM

520 posts, read 3,919,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
You might want to check for dirt and scum buildup on the float before you start replacing things. Ours did that and we were able to correct it by removing the float and cleaning it good so that it could slide up and down easily and completely.

Dishwasher Repair Guide - Check dishwasher float assembly
Thanks for link!

Yeah I'm going to try all the "simple" stuff first before I make any purchases.
Maybe I'll get lucky with just cleaning that was needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House