Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 05:58 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,683,201 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone - hopefully someone has a hint/tip for me.

I have a 2 yr old Bosch dishwasher. Within the the past few months it's been cleaning terribly - residue on glasses/dishes. We rinse everythig. Called out for service (thank GOD we had the extended warranty), and bottom line, we need to replace the filter at the bottom of the tub but nothing is clogged. But the big problem is....the water doesn't get hot enough. The temperature at the sink is about 120 degrees, but when you run the dishwasher, it's only about 90.

We run the hot water prior to starting the load. The pipe is *maybe* 2 feet long - it doesn't have far to go! What's the deal?!?!?! Besides wrapping the pipe, what else can we do? We tried running it for a short time, resetting, restarting, (and doing that 3 times) and it still doesn't get above 115. The inside of unit was CAKED with detergent (and we don't use alot) probably because it wasn't getting hot enough to dissolve it.

We've had such terrible luck with dishwashers - this is our third one in 8 yrs (but never had this problem) and we thought we were doing the right thing with buying the Bosch. Are there dishwashers out there that heat the water? This one doesn't by design, but it's supposed to maintain the temp of the water that flows in.

Any advice?? TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 06:08 AM

43,277 posts, read 77,083,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Hi everyone - hopefully someone has a hint/tip for me.

I have a 2 yr old Bosch dishwasher. Within the the past few months it's been cleaning terribly - residue on glasses/dishes. We rinse everythig. Called out for service (thank GOD we had the extended warranty), and bottom line, we need to replace the filter at the bottom of the tub but nothing is clogged. But the big problem is....the water doesn't get hot enough. The temperature at the sink is about 120 degrees, but when you run the dishwasher, it's only about 90.

We run the hot water prior to starting the load. The pipe is *maybe* 2 feet long - it doesn't have far to go! What's the deal?!?!?! Besides wrapping the pipe, what else can we do? We tried running it for a short time, resetting, restarting, (and doing that 3 times) and it still doesn't get above 115. The inside of unit was CAKED with detergent (and we don't use alot) probably because it wasn't getting hot enough to dissolve it.

We've had such terrible luck with dishwashers - this is our third one in 8 yrs (but never had this problem) and we thought we were doing the right thing with buying the Bosch. Are there dishwashers out there that heat the water? This one doesn't by design, but it's supposed to maintain the temp of the water that flows in.

Any advice?? TIA
Does the Bosch not have a HighTemp wash option wherein the dishwasher heats the water?

Hot water from the tap will nearly always disappoint you. If you get it hot enough, it will scald you, and if you keep it at 120 or less, you get the problem you are living with.
I will not buy a dishwasher that will not boost the temperature internally.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:11 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,713,112 times
That's my thought.... I'm a lifelong renter (military) and will not even use dishwashers that don't have that feature.

My last one in Vegas - was a storage area for my pot lids and tupperware!

Old 11-10-2008, 06:19 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,686,254 times
Can't help you but at least I've learned something - that not all dishwashers independently heat the water which seems odd to me! My 10 year old Whirlpool (still going strong and used a LOT) is plumbed into the cold water line, heats the water and does a fantastic job. Cheers!

Old 11-10-2008, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Can't help you but at least I've learned something - that not all dishwashers independently heat the water which seems odd to me! My 10 year old Whirlpool (still going strong and used a LOT) is plumbed into the cold water line, heats the water and does a fantastic job. Cheers!
Never encountering this problem in nearly 20 yrs of owning a dishwasher, I never knew that any DW's did or did NOT heat the water! If I have to purchase yet another DW I'm going to kill someone

Thanks everyone who answered so far - any other ideas short of getting a new one?

Old 11-10-2008, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Does the Bosch not have a HighTemp wash option wherein the dishwasher heats the water?

Hot water from the tap will nearly always disappoint you. If you get it hot enough, it will scald you, and if you keep it at 120 or less, you get the problem you are living with.
I will not buy a dishwasher that will not boost the temperature internally.
not my particular one - as I said in my post right above, I honestly didn't know this was a feature. let's see - i had a GE that died after about 4 yrs, then a maytag that was a piece of garbage and croaked after 2, and now a bosch that doesn't heat the water! i think I just need to hang it up and wash them all by hand, LOL.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:05 AM

43,277 posts, read 77,083,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Never encountering this problem in nearly 20 yrs of owning a dishwasher, I never knew that any DW's did or did NOT heat the water! If I have to purchase yet another DW I'm going to kill someone

Thanks everyone who answered so far - any other ideas short of getting a new one?

Do I need to be looking over my shoulder??

Old 11-10-2008, 01:33 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,007,051 times
No solution I can think of except getting a new one. I'm really surprised that your machine doesn't have the feature that heats the water!

I have a Kenmore DW I bought two years ago and it still works great. Friends advised that when it comes to buying a dishwasher, the simpler the better as far as it lasting awhile. Most I was looking at were "turbo-wash" with features I knew I'd never use. Pricey, too! But I found a floor model they were selling for $200 -- it had the basic cycles, dry, sanitize, and heat water temp feature. I got a bargain and it's working fine.

This is a good time to buy appliances, actually. They go on sale right before the holidays. I got good deals on appliances at this time two years ago when I was moving. It might be a good time to find greatly reduced floor models, too.

Old 11-10-2008, 02:19 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,786,099 times
Turn up your water heater.

Just be careful when you take a shower. If you have a tankless water heater, you can turn it up to wash a load of dishes and then turn it back down.

WE bought a bosch about 2 years ago too. It was the one that Consumer reports rated as the best one avialable. It is not a very good dishwahser. I am not sure if it heats the water or not. I think not. It cleans 2 out of every 3 loads and the third has to be run through again to get clean. It often cleans the dishes but leaves them covered with residue (little bis of dfood, etc) and we have to rinse them off in the sink. It does nto dry worth a darn. We also have a hard time finding somone to work on Bosch. Wish I could go back in time and buy a Kenmore.

Old 11-10-2008, 02:23 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,729,895 times
Default Look at putting a small tankless heater ahead of the dishwasher only..

They make small tankless water heater units like for under the counter applications. They are designed for a point of use application only. Consider getting one of those and plumbing it just at the dishwasher inlet.

Then you can independently crank the hot water setting to whatever is desired. Most dishwashers say in their instruction books that 135 F water is the minimum, by some means. The hotter the better in my experience.

If you get a very small unit, it might not get you to a high temperature but you can also help yourself out by putting a valve inline and throttle that down to limit the inlet flow rate. That will take more time for the dishwasher to fill but allow even a very small tankless to do the job.

Of course, you will use the existing hot water line in, that will preheat the water to your present temp so, a very small tankless, maybe something electric powered should be able to do the job. They make small units like that for tap water, set on a special facuet to a much higher temperature than normal hot water around the house.

It can be one practical solution to your problem. Does sound like your dishwasher doesn't finish heating the water to some desired level for that dishwasher. Poor design in my book. With the types of detergents used colder water just ain't going to hack it with most dishwashers, ain't the way they work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House