Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 04:24 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,897,466 times

Advertisements

I have a Moen shower in a 17 year old house I bought. It is the Moen faucet that has two faceplate screws under the single plastic pull out handle. The cold water barely trickles out. I removed the cartridge completely and the water still barely trickled out. There is one shut off screw for the hot water and one for the cold water on either side of the cartridge. Both are open all the way. There is not the third larger screw balancing valve that is in the newer Moen showers.

What could be the problem? I find it hard to believe it was always this way. The shower is not usable, due to not enough cold water flow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 04:26 PM

180 posts, read 267,146 times
There must be a problem in the feed line?

Old 01-04-2013, 04:40 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
I have a Moen
What could be the problem?

How to Repair a Moen Shower/Tub valve - YouTube

Old 01-04-2013, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
No, I already did that. I had the cartridge completely out, turned the water back on and it still only trickled.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:18 PM

235 posts, read 1,578,129 times
Probably have debris in the cold side stop, you will need to shut main valve to the home off. Pull the cartridge back out, remove the packing nut and the screwdriver stop from the stop valve body. Then turn the house water back on only from a few seconds to flush out the cold side, they reassemble. Call me if you need help, sent my number to ya the other day.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPLUMBING View Post
Probably have debris in the cold side stop, you will need to shut main valve to the home off. Pull the cartridge back out, remove the packing nut and the screwdriver stop from the stop valve body. Then turn the house water back on only from a few seconds to flush out the cold side, they reassemble. Call me if you need help, sent my number to ya the other day.
As that would not require any parts, would the cost only be the fee for you to show up or will I need to add hourly labor? I will look at it again myself, but I don't want to go to far with it and go out of my comfort level.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:52 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,171,275 times
Did you remove the shower head? The reason why I ask is because such a problem is often caused by minerals, or debris in the water.

a. I would remove the shower head, and make sure it's clean, then turn the water on carefully (to avoid drenching myself), and flush the pipe. If the water pressure is good, then reinstall the shower head. If the water pressure is not good, then

b. I would remove and replace the cartridge before trying to adjust the water flow in the valve. Then adjust the valve if needed.

Off subject: On a sink faucet, the first thing I suspect is a clogged aerator.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Did you remove the shower head? The reason why I ask is because such a problem is often caused by minerals, or debris in the water.

a. I would remove the shower head, and make sure it's clean, then turn the water on carefully (to avoid drenching myself), and flush the pipe. If the water pressure is good, then reinstall the shower head. If the water pressure is not good, then

b. I would remove and replace the cartridge before trying to adjust the water flow in the valve. Then adjust the valve if needed.

Off subject: On a sink faucet, the first thing I suspect is a clogged aerator.
Again, I have already replaced the cartridge. I even ran the water with the cartridge completely out. The problem is not the shower head, as the water is not coming out of the valve with the cartridge completely out.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:32 AM

61,672 posts, read 87,060,489 times
Maybe here is an answer??
Popular plumbing problem solving and remodeling DIY discussion advice forum site.
They are talking about balancing spool... did you checked on that?

Old 01-05-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Maybe here is an answer??
Popular plumbing problem solving and remodeling DIY discussion advice forum site.
They are talking about balancing spool... did you checked on that?
Unfortunately this one does not have a balancing spool. A very nice plumber mentioned that as a possibility, but when I looked I discovered I have the older model without one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House