Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2013, 02:15 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times

Advertisements

Sateen sheets have a finish on them to combat wrinkling....for whatever reason, I find sleeping on them unpleasant as they make me so HOT. Usually I only buy 100% Egyptian cotton... always cool to the touch... plus, I do not care about wrinkles.

Somehow I ended up with 2 sets of EC sheets but with that darn finish on them. Last night, got up in the middle of the night to change my bed.....so HOT!

Any ideas? Maybe it is not possible, but I'll try any recommendations!

Thanks~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 03:57 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
Welcome to a large group of folks who cannot stand sateen! Unfortunately, it is not a finish but a weave. The way I understand it, there is an alternation of 1 and 4 threads in each direction (1-4-1-4-1-4etc). The alternative is the percale weave which only uses one thread for each cross-over (1-1-1-1-1-1etc). Once upon a time the percale was pretty reasonably priced, but now because it is less common, percale is more expensive than sateen. So, the bad news is that you are stuck with those sheets. One thing you might try is to have at least one of the pair of sheets be something other than sateen.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:11 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
I was afraid of a reply like this...

Once I realized what I had, thought using them in winter would be ok, just not summer, but wrong....!

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Welcome to a large group of folks who cannot stand sateen! Unfortunately, it is not a finish but a weave. The way I understand it, there is an alternation of 1 and 4 threads in each direction (1-4-1-4-1-4etc). The alternative is the percale weave which only uses one thread for each cross-over (1-1-1-1-1-1etc). Once upon a time the percale was pretty reasonably priced, but now because it is less common, percale is more expensive than sateen. So, the bad news is that you are stuck with those sheets. One thing you might try is to have at least one of the pair of sheets be something other than sateen.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:30 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
I think if you run them through the wash a few times some of that non-wrinkle finish will soften. Sateen is a sort of material; I think the finish is put on the material. I've had the same problem a number of years ago. Washing should soften them up, but it might take quite a few washes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House