Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2012, 03:49 AM

792 posts, read 1,176,250 times

Advertisements

I bought a Full Size mattress & box springs. All the full size fitted sheets are too big. I bought another sheet yesterday and its too big too.
None of them fit snuggly. The sheet ends up coming off at a corner by morning.
Are they making full size beds smaller these days or the sheets bigger?
I have some elastic thingys so I guess I'll have to use them.

Also, what's up with all the slippery sheets? Is this the Microban in them? They don't even feel like normal sheets...LOL

Maybe one of you out there has some answers.
Thank you!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 04:05 AM

61,650 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Maybe the sheets are for very deep mattresses?

Your fitted sheet needs to be as close to your mattress size as possible to ensure that it will fit onto your mattress snugly.
The pocket depth of fitted sheets may range from 10 inches (25 cm) to 18 inches (46 cm). Be sure to measure your mattress height before selecting a fitted sheet.

If your full mattress is -54 x 75 inches
then you have to buy fitted sheet -54 x 75 inches

Old 02-18-2012, 04:15 AM

That is the size of fitted sheets I have bought as that's all I found. I'm wondering if my new mattress is a bit smaller than Full...?

Okay, I just measured my mattress across and it measures 52"....Grrrrrrr

Old 02-18-2012, 04:35 AM

61,650 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Ouch!! Looks like the mattress is not a standard size ...

Old 02-18-2012, 08:45 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,680,864 times
We have a K-sized foam mattress that we love but all today's fitted sheets are too deep. I have tried various fixes including having a 8" fitted bottom sheet custom made ($99 ouch) on a website I found. It works but still not perfect. I am a picky, picky sleeper. Since childhood, I have been known to get up in the middle of the night to remake the bed and Gd Forbid a little crumb is in the bed, major wipe down. I also change the sheets 2-3x a week. So sheets are a big deal to me.

My solution: I buy oversized flat K-sized sheets (special order $75) for the bottom sheet and and for the balance of the bed I used the top and cases that come in the packages. I discard the fitted bottom sheets.

Since you have a full sized bed, you could probably buy a regular sized K or Q flat sheet and then use it for your bottom sheet. All the better hotels have this same solution, you just don't find fitted bottom sheets at hotels with premium linens..... learn how to do hospital corners and your sheet will stay put.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:59 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,876,449 times
There are three different size king size mattress'. You have to buy the right king sheets...!
There are regular king, California King, and Ikea sells a third odd ball size. Ikea is Swedish and the mattress they sell only fits sheets made for that country's mattress size.
Measure your mattress, and look on the sheet label to find if you have regular king or Calif king.
Why do they make different size king sheets?? I've been wondering that for many years..

Old 02-18-2012, 10:36 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
Fitted sheets really depend on matress size and thickness;not just size.Some of cheap sheets may not list thickness suitablity tho.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:41 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,680,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
There are three different size king size mattress'. You have to buy the right king sheets...!
There are regular king, California King, and Ikea sells a third odd ball size. Ikea is Swedish and the mattress they sell only fits sheets made for that country's mattress size.
Measure your mattress, and look on the sheet label to find if you have regular king or Calif king.
Why do they make different size king sheets?? I've been wondering that for many years..
Good point! If I were buying off the shelf flat sheets to use as a bottom sheet for a full bed, I'd buy California King -- which are longer -- to give top and bottom fold space.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:45 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,059,903 times
I'm surprised that fitted sheets would come undone overnight? I often use queen-size sheets on a full-size bed, simply because I have 1 queen- and 1 full-size bed and like to switch sheets often. The queen-size fitted sheet on the full-size bed is, of course, quite oversized, but I just tuck in all the extra ... I've never had a problem. (Maybe I'm not a restless sleeper? :-) )

Old 02-18-2012, 02:07 PM

Thanks, you guys.
I don't know...I've never had a problem with the fitted sheet coming off before.
Now I find myself like Squirl- re-making the bed in the middle of the night because the top ends have pulled out. That really bugs me...LOL
I'm thinking buying a larger size flat sheet and using it for the bottom sheet (hospital made, of course!) may just do the trick.
I'm still baffled by these sheets coming undone. I've never in all my years had this problem before.
Thanks again, all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House