Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2013, 09:28 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,229,260 times

Advertisements

I just got a place with a reverse osmosis water system and know nothing about it. The people I got it from don't either as it was an estate. Does anyone know what service etc. is required? Also will it remove all the toxins etc. in the water? The Verde Valley is known for arsenic in their water and it has a higher incidence of breast cancer (don't know if it's related).

Thanks in advance.

PS a reverse osmosis water system would not be my first choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 09:40 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,412,676 times
When they work, RO systems are pretty close to distilling in efficiency of removing toxins. Think of it as an extremely fine filter that only stuff the size of water molecules can penetrate. Salts, minerals, and any organisms aren't small enough. The problem is that the RO membranes are VERY delicate, and require pre-filters to remove chlorine that would otherwise destroy them. Most have a TDS meter or other sensing device on the output to indicate the status of the filter. The cost of regular replacements of pre-filters, then (less frequently) of the membranes, and any post filters made me take mine off-line. The water waste was only a minor factor in my decision.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:15 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
We have one. It seems to work great. The water certainly tastes wonderful coming out of it and testing came back with just water. The down side is the pre-filters need replacing 2-3x a year and the membrane at least 1x a year. They are expensive. They waste quite a bit of water as well. Just part of their normal operation. Ours is not whole house, it is just one spigot for drinking and cooking water. I cannot imagine the cost of running one that is for the whole house.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:46 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,102,059 times
I have one and LOVE it. It is under alot of pressure so it is advisable to have it serviced rather than trying to change the filters yourself. Mine has 3 filters. I live alone but drink alot of water so the filters are changed about every 18 months at a cost of about $100. I use the water for making ice cubes, coffee, cooking. Some people argue it takes all the good minerals out of water and you will get a mineral deficiency but I take a salt/mineral tablet every day (low blood pressure) so I don't know about that.

Old 03-03-2016, 03:27 AM

3 posts, read 1,989 times
Good morning,

I work on a project about water and the system of filtration. I need to know your consumption habits about water and for that, I create a questionnaire. It will be really helpful if you can answer it.

[url]https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1ZGIhGNAOI_BKF0_D63iiynFgSkNU_UomV97pAUASies/viewform[/url]

Thank you

Old 03-03-2016, 03:38 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,926,415 times
I start with a whole house filter on the line coming into the house .elements are cheap and easy to replace.
It stops sand from ruining the valves for starters and removed a certain level of other debris. I had a RO system years ago but the Britta faucet filters worked fine for me..

Old 03-03-2016, 07:39 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Had one come with our house when we purchased it. I ended up modifying to plumb into my refrigerator for the icemaker and water dispenser. Give you very clear ice cubes.

Only real maintenance is changing out the filters regularly. Coming from salt-water aquariums, I was familiar with RO/DI systems (don't drink the water for those) but the filters are similar so I was able to source them quite easily.

Overall I like it. I wouldn't have paid money to install it after the fact, but since it's there, i'll use it.

Old 03-03-2016, 07:54 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
I have one in my Arizona winter home. It's recommended you change the filters once a year. Cost me $130, which I think is pretty expensive. I might just rip it out and go with the one you get at Costco.

Old 08-25-2020, 06:00 AM

2 posts, read 577 times
yes changing filters is good to go every year..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House