Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 02:25 PM

561 posts, read 1,512,806 times

Advertisements

We built this home in 2006. The builder hired a new cabinet maker and our house was his first job for the builder. Personally, I think it was his first job ever! We chose white painted wood cabinets because we wanted a bright kitchen and always had stained. Unfortunately, the paint began to peel before the home was two years old. I don't think the cabinet maker primed the wood. So now I have peeling and chipped cabinets.

I've been searching for the best improvement and have read many posts regarding cabinets here. I've considered door replacements, sanding and repainting and refacing. The cabinets are in fine shape, so I think it would be a waste to completely replace. I have a lot of cabinets--kitchen, utility room, and bathrooms and they are all raised panel, so sanding would be a huge chore; and I want to stay with white.

I've had an estimate for replacing the doors and drawer fronts with a material called DuraCore, but I cannot find any information about this material, other than what the contractor says.

Since I've never had painted cabinets before, is chipping and peeling problematic for painted cabinets? I want cabinets that wear well, definitely more than two years. The DuraCore seemed pretty good with a transferrable lifetime guarantee, but like I said I can't find anything else on this material. I know it's probably a trademark, but I don't know what the material is, but it's suppose to withstand just about everything.

Cost is a factor, too. We paid well above the builder's allotted amount and the cabinets are not that old for their condition. We certainly did not get our money's worth out of them. As an estimate, the DuraCore came in at $250 for each piece (door, drawer front) which seems very high to me--not that each piece was $250, but it averages out to that--or so I was told.

Any suggestions would be of help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 02:54 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,288,731 times
At those costs, I would call a professional painter and see what they might be able to do...

Old 03-20-2013, 03:50 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Duracore is a registered trademark for plywood that is used in several different ways. It is owned by Menard's.

I see no reason why you couldn't just refinish- depending on the material. If its all MDF there are limitations. But if the box is plywood, half the battle is won.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:29 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
What you have is homemade cabinets. They may have been presented to you as custom cabinets but "custom" is incorrect. They are homemade junk built by some clown in his garage. You said the Cabinet Maker did not prime, it's not his job. He makes the wooden boxes and a finisher comes in next. Oops I mean the Cabinet Maker has his own sprayer and attempted to finish it himself.

Finishing wood is a highly specialized task. When you buy real cabinets from any major cabinet manufacturer the finish is a factory finish. It is done by robots on an assembly line and each finish is exactly the same from box 1 to box 1 million. And of course they offer a warranty with it. All major cabinet manufacturers offer painted finishes and they last a lifetime which is usually what the warranty is though most today have 25 year warranties.

That's that. As for what to do since it's too late to punch your lying rookie Builder in the face. I believe someone above my post said to call in a professional Painter and get his advice. And by professional Painter I don't mean the guy with the cheap prices that advertises on Craigslist. I mean a real professional. Anyone can swab a paintbrush but not everyone knows how to finish properly.

I can't fathom why anyone would want white but since you do I strongly suggest buying all new doors that are prefinished in white. They will be a professional baked on finish with a lifetime warranty. Most cabinet door manufacturers will not sell to the public. I use Decorative Specialties in California. You'd have to find a friend contractor who will buy for you. Then you can have a professional Painter do the rest of the cabinets.

Trust me if you never trusted before. You DO NOT want to sand doors with many nooks and crannies. Imagine all the finger work getting in the grooves with sandpaper. What's your time worth? And the hurten you will endure on your fingers. By the time you spend weeks and weeks sanding and not even get the desired level of preparation, you could just buy the new doors. You will of course need someone who knows what they are doing. You need to know the door overlay because this determines the hinge setback.

Just think..........if that Builder whom you obviously don't like used real cabinets, you would not have any problems just 2 years new. Everyone take that advice who has an Uncle Harry that builds cabinets in their garage real cheap.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:10 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
If desertsun41 says to buy new white doors, buy them. Desertsun hates white cabinets. He is in the cabinet business. This is the first time I've ever seen him recommend buying white doors. I expected him to say rip out the entire kitchen and replace with stained.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:52 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,502,714 times
There are, at least in our area of the country, professional finishers who can do an excellent job of stripping and refinishing your existing cabinets, likely for less than the cost of new doors at $250 per cabinet if there are as many as you are saying. I would check both options before deciding. Check with some local home improvement centers (NOT the big box places) for recomendations. There are guys out there that finish trim packages for a living who know what they are doing. Even some auto body shops might be a viable option.

By the way, I also design and sell kitchens (20+ years) and if someone came in to see me in this situation, I would tell them the same thing.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:59 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
If desertsun41 says to buy new white doors, buy them. Desertsun hates white cabinets. He is in the cabinet business. This is the first time I've ever seen him recommend buying white doors. I expected him to say rip out the entire kitchen and replace with stained.
Hey that's no fair. You made me laugh!!!!

Old 03-21-2013, 12:40 PM

1,149 posts, read 4,205,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I seriously laughed at this!

I will say, if you bought them from a major manufacturer, you shouldn't see that type of wear. I have two energetic toddlers running around, using the cabinets to hide in, etc - my white beadboard faced cabinets are pristine.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:01 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
...I strongly suggest buying all new doors that are prefinished in white. They will be a professional baked on finish with a lifetime warranty.

I think there is a flaw in your suggestion-
What about the carcass? Who and How you suggest a H/O do that? Especially considering there are a million shades of white, can't bake the finish, and spraying is the only way to remotely match the finish/texture of the doors.

So, if you're going to go through all the trouble to repaint the carcass- wouldn't you have the doors done at the same time? Same paint, same finish, same color! BAM! Like new cabinets for a lot less money.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:24 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,669,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
I think there is a flaw in your suggestion-
What about the carcass? Who and How you suggest a H/O do that? Especially considering there are a million shades of white, can't bake the finish, and spraying is the only way to remotely match the finish/texture of the doors.

So, if you're going to go through all the trouble to repaint the carcass- wouldn't you have the doors done at the same time? Same paint, same finish, same color! BAM! Like new cabinets for a lot less money.

A good suggestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House