Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 10:15 PM

9 posts, read 53,044 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am renovating a room and there is some texture plasterboard that i need to match if possible.

I'm having a hard time determining what it is or how its applied.

It's not wallpaper, but rather plasterboard (fibrous) with texture plaster on it.

Any suggestions on how this texture / pattern was achieved and how I could replicate this ?

Thanks,

Late Deco
Attached Thumbnails
Textured Walls-img_2399.jpg   Textured Walls-img_2400.jpg   Textured Walls-img_2401.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 11:09 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,730,853 times
Default Monkey with a stick...............

There are a zillion ways to do those texture patterns.

How old do you guess the ceiling is? Is this a new house?

One common way is to do what is called monkey with a stick. Basically it is a pole with a flat platform screwed on to it. A rubber mold gets put into this platform. Sometimes it is more sponge like than hard rubber. Varies a lot depending on who makes it. Lots of them around.

They then spread drywall mud or some similar compound on the rubber mold and poke the ceiling all over, moving in overlapping jumps. Or they just trowel on the mud all over the ceiling with a thickness and then poke it all over. The ceiling takes on the look of the mold. I see the same shapes, replicated, they can twist and rotate the pole to attempt to get a random pattern or whatever is desired.

Might have been done with a large texture roller can work the same, a pattern is built into it. With the roller the patterns replicate at predictable intervals. This ceiling appears to be more random.

I would guess it is a monkey with a stick. Very common for many new houses. Quick, easy cheap, covers all sins, not a whole lot of skill required. Tool can work well very close to edges and in corners. Many times they can add a latex paint to the mix and the color is already there when the pattern is applied. No painting required after. Lots of mold patterns are typically available, they can change the pattern by changing molds. They can also "puff up" the mix by blending in a lot of trapped air in the junk when prepared. Gives a more bubbly look. They can vary it by how hard they press and at what angle. Sometimes these things are like big wheels with many pattern pads and they roll across the ceiling. Lots of variations to the madness.

To really reproduce it you probably need something like the rubber mold used.

I would sort of rule out most types of skip troweling, pattern is too open.

One of the foobaas of that textured crap. Repair or accurate duplication can be a bear if you do not have the exact tools or methods or information of how the original was applied. Also typically does not paint well, the paint can destroy the "detail" in the patterns quickly by bridging in the wrong spots. Patterns may "lift" if a latex paint is used with excessive force or rolling. Lots of that junk texture may be water soluble

Helps to see the entire ceiling as a whole, you look for interval repeats for a clue how it was done, about like you see in wallpaper. If totally random but pattern parts repeat, pretty good indication it was a monkey with a stick of some design / type.

Not something I would ever put in my own house. I hate those textures. Short working life and then you get to figure out what to do next.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:42 AM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,751,890 times
I have not answers for you, but wanted to add that we looked at a house where all the walls were textured like this. I wouldn't buy the house because I had no idea who to repair anything we did to the walls - LOL

Old 07-02-2009, 07:05 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Late Deco View Post
Hi,

I am renovating a room and there is some texture plasterboard that i need to match if possible.

I'm having a hard time determining what it is or how its applied.

It's not wallpaper, but rather plasterboard (fibrous) with texture plaster on it.

Any suggestions on how this texture / pattern was achieved and how I could replicate this ?

Thanks,

Late Deco
To be honest, it looks kind of like "knockdown", except instead of blading it, they just left the clumps as they were sprayed on.

Question: Why do you need to match the current texture? Are you just doing a partial renovation? Because if you completely renovated rooms, you don't have to match anything.

Old 07-02-2009, 07:58 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,090,280 times
Do you really like the textured ceilings? I don't like them; they make a house look dated. Can you take the textured stuff off and just work with a nice, flat surface?

Old 07-02-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
Do you really like the textured ceilings? I don't like them; they make a house look dated. Can you take the textured stuff off and just work with a nice, flat surface?
I can't answer for the OP, but typically it's the "popcorn" ceiling texture that is easily removed - and usually is, because people don't like it!

But if the ceiling texture is actual drywall mud either splatter-coated, or applied as knock-down, that's going to be more difficult to deal with.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:51 AM

Default They may have sprayed it............but

They could have gotten the material on there by spraying, but I doubt it is any type of knock down approach. Probably no slap / stomp / whatever type brush either. The blobs are similar and you see that "Mountain Range" and sort of moonscape looking fields, there are a type of crab pattern that are almost identical. Somebody is doing an operation that replicates.

Nothing looks like any type of trowel work, way to rounded edges.

If I had to bet, I would still say it was some fine monkey with a stick. Tried and proven method for crap delivery, some type of stamping operation. You see it everwhere as symmetrical patterns, here I would bet the same only they tried to be more random.

Beauty of it is nobody ever knows for sure afterwards exactly what they bought. Part of the fun of it all. Gets even better if you try to mess with it.

The sure bet it was fast and cheap, first time around. Funny what some folks can be made to believe is high fashion. Guy who did it is probably still laughing about the easy money he made for such high art.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:39 AM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,751,890 times
I see a couple people are talking about ceilings, I am fairly certain the OP has this texture on the WALLS, not the ceiling.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
They could have gotten the material on there by spraying, but I doubt it is any type of knock down approach. Probably no slap / stomp / whatever type brush either. The blobs are similar and you see that "Mountain Range" and sort of moonscape looking fields, there are a type of crab pattern that are almost identical. Somebody is doing an operation that replicates.

Nothing looks like any type of trowel work, way to rounded edges.

If I had to bet, I would still say it was some fine monkey with a stick. Tried and proven method for crap delivery, some type of stamping operation. You see it everwhere as symmetrical patterns, here I would bet the same only they tried to be more random.

Beauty of it is nobody ever knows for sure afterwards exactly what they bought. Part of the fun of it all. Gets even better if you try to mess with it.

The sure bet it was fast and cheap, first time around.
Funny what some folks can be made to believe is high fashion. Guy who did it is probably still laughing about the easy money he made for such high art.
Right. That's what I suspect.

As I said earlier, it looks to me like somebody sprayed the "thinned mud" on the wall - as if applying knock-down - then simply didn't blade it down.

I've seen similar things, but nothing exactly like that.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:29 AM

Default The OP didn't sez..........

We don't don't know if it is walls or ceilings or both. The OP didn't really sez. Doesn't make any difference.

The more I look at it, was sprayed on. Probably a large natural sponge daubed all over. Might have been the fancy monkey on a stick tool. Might have been a sponge in the hand. See that crap all over local.

One guy did it local in a flip this old house deal, every room, walls and ceilings, enough to make you barf. His was spray, pray and leave it. Some fool actually paid a super premium for a really defective shack.

This one looks to have been worked by some method. Best bet is by a sponge of some type. The joy, is you never actually know what you are getting. It ain't like a box of chocolates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House