Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 02:27 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times

Advertisements

For a project no bigger than that, I'd just work with a GC. Between the two of you a plan can be designed and executed w/o the fees of an architect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 08:19 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,178,918 times
Actually, my GC recommended using a architect who can double check the footings etc...I'm not sure what he will cost yet, still waiting for the drawings from the city. Once I get them we have a meeting with the GC, me, and the architect.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:41 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,296,810 times
As long as foundation is pier & gradebeam, or an inverted T that meets a minimum requirement you'll be okay. The monolithic could present a problem. Easiest way to tell is to look at the inside edge near an outside wall to see if the garage slab has a crack between the slab and the stemwall indicating it was not a single placement (concrete not poured all at once). This crack would indicate the foundation was placed prior to the slab being finished.

As I stated before, a single garage foundation can support a 2nd story floor, and the walls supporting the floor joists are similar to cripple walls on a sloped foundation supporting floor(s) above.

The GC advice about using an architect is wise, because your span may be greater than any single span allowed requiring a girder. The girder may have additional support requirements that are only a guess at this point.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:42 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
Actually, my GC recommended using a architect who can double check the footings etc...I'm not sure what he will cost yet, still waiting for the drawings from the city. Once I get them we have a meeting with the GC, me, and the architect.
The "drawings" that are recorded at the AHJ are for permit purposes. What actually happens at the site is another story. And I very seriously doubt an architect would put his seal on something existing. For that matter, I doubt an engineer would- but I trust an engineer's judgement over an architect's.

If the GC can't make a simple apartment over a garage without an architect's oversight- I'd keep looking. Every bit of information (spans, joists, beams, etc.)he'd ever need can be found on the 'net.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
As long as foundation is pier & gradebeam, or an inverted T that meets a minimum requirement you'll be okay. The monolithic could present a problem. Easiest way to tell is to look at the inside edge near an outside wall to see if the garage slab has a crack between the slab and the stemwall indicating it was not a single placement (concrete not poured all at once). This crack would indicate the foundation was placed prior to the slab being finished.

As I stated before, a single garage foundation can support a 2nd story floor, and the walls supporting the floor joists are similar to cripple walls on a sloped foundation supporting floor(s) above.

The GC advice about using an architect is wise, because your span may be greater than any single span allowed requiring a girder. The girder may have additional support requirements that are only a guess at this point.

I went out and looked for that crack on the inside edge neear the outside wall and there is a crage between
the slab and the stemwall.

I have a different CG coming out tomorrow to look at this job. A friend recommended getting 5-10 estimates and average them out.

I like the idea of using an architect so don't mind the cost.

Thank you!

Old 04-17-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
The "drawings" that are recorded at the AHJ are for permit purposes. What actually happens at the site is another story. And I very seriously doubt an architect would put his seal on something existing. For that matter, I doubt an engineer would- but I trust an engineer's judgement over an architect's.

If the GC can't make a simple apartment over a garage without an architect's oversight- I'd keep looking. Every bit of information (spans, joists, beams, etc.)he'd ever need can be found on the 'net.

Still don't have the plans...seems odd that something online takes days to pull, but so be it.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:38 PM

How do I talk down the price from the GC? I have two different GC bidding on the work and have not received anything back yet, but what wiggle room do I have if any?

Old 04-24-2013, 01:48 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
How do I talk down the price from the GC? I have two different GC bidding on the work and have not received anything back yet, but what wiggle room do I have if any?
Start by being certain you know how much is related to all the roof work...
and then how the rest relates to the structure and finishes vs the mechanical systems.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:38 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,954,215 times
Quote:
I called a contractor that did a major addition for a friend and he and an architect are coming out next week or so to look at the existing garage, etc...he did mention about the slab and footings, might have to be built up to support a second story. This sub-division has many garage apartments (one right behind me) so that is not a problem, but the HOA still has to bless any addition. I called my insurance agent and he said my insurance might go up a bit but not much. The property taxes would go up though, so that is something I will have to go downtown and ask them about the increase.

I'm not sure about how the apartment door/stairs would be located. I like them on the outside, far side of the garage which
seems simple and don't give up any floor space. I live in Orlando, which does get cold for a few months of the year. I thought about using the Mitsubishi split a/c units for cooling/heating rather than install a typical a/c unit, but it depends on the cost.

- Is it possible to get a separate electrical meter hooked up or too expensive to get that? I tried calling the local
utility but they just put me on hold.

- If this is viable, do the contractors try to just cut off the existing roof and reuse it or just demo everything and build
a new one?

- One thing I always hated about owning a home is they are really just money pits. You pray that someday you can sell it and get your money back with maybe some appreciation. At least with a garage apartment I might get some extra income out of this house.
A contractor and architect is the fastest way to a structural problem. Contractors can only guess and any architect that doesn't strongly recommend you get a structural engineer isn't worth much.

The structures that become hazardous to life and limb because someone eye balled it and guesstimated from previous jobs litter the landscape.

The best recommendation you had was in a previous post. Get an opinion from a structural engineer who can also perform the calcs necessary to insure what you plan on doing is safe.

BTW, typical garage floors aren't much more than a slab surface poured over ground that never really settled and was the last part of the house completed. Guess where the most skimping went on? Add that second floor and that minimum garage floor might be a disaster in waiting.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:41 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,296,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
A contractor and architect is the fastest way to a structural problem. Contractors can only guess and any architect that doesn't strongly recommend you get a structural engineer isn't worth much.

The structures that become hazardous to life and limb because someone eye balled it and guesstimated from previous jobs litter the landscape.

The best recommendation you had was in a previous post. Get an opinion from a structural engineer who can also perform the calcs necessary to insure what you plan on doing is safe.

BTW, typical garage floors aren't much more than a slab surface poured over ground that never really settled and was the last part of the house completed. Guess where the most skimping went on? Add that second floor and that minimum garage floor might be a disaster in waiting.
The garage slab has no bearing, or support for the framing members above the unless a monolithic slab was used. The OP has stated that there's a crack where the slab meets the stemwall indicating a conventional grade beam on pier, or inverted T foundation. Because the slab is supported by the soil it rests on, any floor loads from floor joists above would be considered a first floor, and not a second story. If conventional framing methods are used some jurisdictions do not even require an Architect of record, let alone a Structural Engineer.
I recommended an Architect earlier in this thread for added protection to the homeowner. For the small fee in the overall scope of the project this 8 year degree will assure it is built to code. The 8 year degree is quite capable to determine whether or not a 6 year degree is needed.
Conventional construction methods are different than engineered designs. While most new homes today incorporate engineered designs it is not always used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House