Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 08:39 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,175,975 times

Advertisements

I wonder if anyone has hired a contractor to build a garage apartment could pass on their experience, costs, problems, and "if I had to do it over again" words of wisdom. I was thinking about doing this above our garage. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 10:27 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,577,969 times
Step 1: Ensure that you are zoned correctly. I know that my neighborhood is "single family housing" and I would not be allowed to convert part of my property into a rental unit. Extra living quarters for myself/family would be fine, though.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:16 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
I wonder if anyone has hired a contractor to build a garage apartment...
I was thinking about doing this above our garage. Thank you.
If zoning even allows such a use (more and more rare today) your first stop is an engineer
or architect to evaluate how well the existing structure is built and just what you'll be up against
in order to make it all work.

It will be a very rare garage that is built strong enough to support a second level of any sort...
let alone the sort of loads that come with a living space.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:42 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,288,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
If zoning even allows such a use (more and more rare today) your first stop is an engineer
or architect to evaluate how well the existing structure is built and just what you'll be up against
in order to make it all work.

It will be a very rare garage that is built strong enough to support a second level of any sort...
let alone the sort of loads that come with a living space.
This is actually backwards. Most homes required a minimum of a 6"x12" footing, and a 6"x12" stemwall, and the floor load (joists) rest on top of the mudsill, but would require a larger foundation to add a second story.

However, because the garage has a poured slab the minimum foundation requirement is meet and adding a second story is typically not a problem. Jurisdiction (city, or county), and type of construction will play a roll in this also. A contractor may be able to draw the plans if it is conventional construction, but engineered designs may require a wet stamp of approval.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:04 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Most homes required...
This isn't a home.

Quote:
because the garage has a poured slab...
have you seen this garage? I haven't.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:14 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,288,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
This isn't a home.

have you seen this garage? I haven't.
Please feel free to live within your delusions. The garage foundation typically supports no floor load, so adding a 2nd floor is usually no big deal.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:41 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,901,088 times
If you are in a cold area, make sure the insulation above the garage is excellent and/or put in radiant floor heat.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:35 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,664,141 times
While not an expert, I seem to remember there were differences as to how the "apartment" was accessed. If accessed from inside the home, it was not an "apartment" but if accessed from outside the home, it was an "apartment".

Old 04-11-2013, 04:43 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,175,975 times
I called a contractor that did a major addition for a friend and he and an architect are coming out next week or so to look at the existing garage, etc...he did mention about the slab and footings, might have to be built up to support a second story. This sub-division has many garage apartments (one right behind me) so that is not a problem, but the HOA still has to bless any addition. I called my insurance agent and he said my insurance might go up a bit but not much. The property taxes would go up though, so that is something I will have to go downtown and ask them about the increase.

I'm not sure about how the apartment door/stairs would be located. I like them on the outside, far side of the garage which
seems simple and don't give up any floor space. I live in Orlando, which does get cold for a few months of the year. I thought about using the Mitsubishi split a/c units for cooling/heating rather than install a typical a/c unit, but it depends on the cost.

- Is it possible to get a separate electrical meter hooked up or too expensive to get that? I tried calling the local
utility but they just put me on hold.

- If this is viable, do the contractors try to just cut off the existing roof and reuse it or just demo everything and build
a new one?

- One thing I always hated about owning a home is they are really just money pits. You pray that someday you can sell it and get your money back with maybe some appreciation. At least with a garage apartment I might get some extra income out of this house.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:08 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,711,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
- One thing I always hated about owning a home is they are really just money pits. You pray that someday you can sell it and get your money back with maybe some appreciation. At least with a garage apartment I might get some extra income out of this house.
It might be a helluva long time before you get back what you put in to it. I hope you've done those calculations and can live with the time frame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House