Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2013, 09:18 PM

1 posts, read 4,054 times

Advertisements

My wife and I just closed on a house out in Peyton, CO about 6 weeks ago. Its our first time living out of town and we're new to all this septic/well/etc situation. I have been reading about septic systems, and I'm reading that you should not put trees on or near the leech field because the roots can grow and destroy the pipes, etc.

Well, our new house (it was finished 6 months ago, the septic system was finished a year ago) had the leech field dug AROUND an existing tree. I've included pictures of the tree and of the leech field. We didn't know that this could be an issue until after closing, and we're wonder what we need to do. I found pictures of the leech field being dug on the builder's website, and it clearly shows that the tree was there when they built the leech field. I'm not sure what type of tree it is, we're near the black forest in Peyton/Colorado Springs, and I "think" its a ponderosa pine, but I'm not sure on that (maybe someone here can tell me?). Its approximately 6' tall and the trunk at the ground level is ~4" in diameter.

What I'm wondering is, do I need to cut down/dig up this tree? And if so, can that be done with the field in place without damaging it? Or do I leave it and let it grow? Is the leech pit "over the tree" roots and therefore not an issue, or did the builder of the leech field screw up by leaving the tree there when building the field? My septic paperwork shows that the "units" are between 18" and 12" deep throughout the field.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Septic leech field... built around existing tree-img_20130423_185108-small-.jpg   Septic leech field... built around existing tree-img_20130423_185126-small-.jpg   Septic leech field... built around existing tree-img_20130423_185137-small-.jpg   Septic leech field... built around existing tree-img_20130423_185152-small-.jpg   Septic leech field... built around existing tree-img_20130423_185219-small-.jpg  

Septic leech field... built around existing tree-septic_install_with_tree.jpg  
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 10:12 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,045,317 times
It totally amazing what some people will do or not do in order to save a buck!

At this point there's probably been no penetration by the tree; give it another year or two and it will definitely find its way to the water. It needs to be cut down- that's all you'd need to do. The root system will just decay, no harm to the system.

If you are one to use a Christmas tree- leave till December, then cut it down.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:27 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Yea, just cut it down. It's a pine tree, which are not as invasive as other trees. Weeping willows, Elmsand Trees of Heaven are the worst, and root systems on these trees will stay viable after the tree is cut. Pine tree? Your fine, but certainly remove it.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:22 AM

23,596 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Shucks. From the title, I was hoping to see where someone had made a loop at some distance from a rare or important tree to increase ground moisture and nutrients. That is Charlie Brown's Christmas tree that the excavator couldn't be bothered to move his backhoe and take one swipe to remove.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Shucks. From the title, I was hoping to see where someone had made a loop at some distance from a rare or important tree to increase ground moisture and nutrients. That is Charlie Brown's Christmas tree that the excavator couldn't be bothered to move his backhoe and take one swipe to remove.
Haha. Yea...I was expecting to see a large, mature, tree anyway. I agree the digger just dropped the ball here. In fairness to him, however, it is likely he was thinking that removing the tree would upset the customer, which is not an unlikely thing. He should have explained the issue though. Not just assume and leave it on the leach field. At any rate, chainsaw time. Make some kindling.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:58 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,293,890 times
My home in California was built in 1960 had the old orange clay Vitriolic sewer pipe. The big tree at the curb had roots growing into it, and I'd have to clean it about annually. I replaced it with ABS about 2003, and within 3 years the tree was dead.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:46 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,045,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
My home in California was built in 1960 had the old orange clay Vitriolic sewer pipe. The big tree at the curb had roots growing into it, and I'd have to clean it about annually. I replaced it with ABS about 2003, and within 3 years the tree was dead.

Sewerline- leach field. Oh yeah, I see the similarity.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Sewerline- leach field. Oh yeah, I see the similarity.
Oh, I think MrWillys had good intentions. His focus was just on root invasiveness. Lots of folks dont quite understand how septic systems work. See it a lot out here. Folks move in from the city, and do some real interesting stuff to their septic systems. Lol, got some pretty wild things I have seen.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:28 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,293,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
His focus was just on root invasiveness. Lots of folks dont quite understand how septic systems work. See it a lot out here.
Isn't the concern that the root system of the tree will grow toward, and into the leach lines ruining their effectiveness? My understanding is that tree roots will grow toward water and nutrients?

Old 04-26-2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Isn't the concern that the root system of the tree will grow toward, and into the leach lines ruining their effectiveness? My understanding is that tree roots will grow toward water and nutrients?
Absolutely! It is 3 times the concern with a leach field, because the pipe is perforated. Them roots just say yummm! Gimme that easy water with all that good stuff in it. There can be no tree growth on a leach field. The roots WILL get in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House