Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2013, 03:56 PM

347 posts, read 1,284,346 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

12-months ago I had a plumber retrofit a single-lever shower/tub faucet in our existing bathroom. The faucet replaced an old hot & cold faucet for the tub.

Anyhow, over the last six months the water pressure has been gradually decreasing. I'm at the point now where there is not enough pressure to take a shower.

The facts:

1. Single handle Delta Multi-Choice faucet
2. I replaced the cartridge, but that did not help to increase pressure.
3. The shower head is not clogged. The water pressure is low from the tub spout.
4. Pipes are 1956 galvanized piping.

I'm thinking the junk galvanized pipe has clogged/built-up something in the assembly behind the cartridge.
If I am correct, how can I clean this out? Or if I'm wrong, any other thoughts on how to fix this?

Thank you!!
MandK

Last edited by mandK; 05-17-2013 at 04:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 05:43 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,303,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandK View Post
...I'm thinking the junk galvanized pipe has clogged/built-up something in the assembly behind the cartridge...
Correct!

And your old faucet allowed those particles to pass through.

New faucets are low flow and have tiny openings. They quickly clog with particles from old pipes.

What you can do is install new pipe from spin down filters (one for hot and one for cold) to the tub valve. A spin down water filter is a screen filter which can easily be cleaned by opening the bottom clean-out valve. Plus you do not need to buy expensive replacement filters.

This might be easy if your pipes are run in a basement and it is a first floor bathroom. You could install spin down filters there, then new pipe up to the tub.

Or might be easier to install an old fashioned faucet again if the pipes are impossible to change.

And when the pipes are open to replace them, you can connect a garden hose to the bath faucet and force water backwards through the faucet. That is called "back flushing". That should get the particles to come out the open pipes. Turn the faucet to both hot and cold to flush each.

Spin down filter...
(Or search google.com for spin down filter.)
Rusco Hot Water Spin Down Filter System - 1 1/2" - FreshWaterSystems.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House