Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 04:00 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,744,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregm View Post
Dawn is a magical product. I spent 10 years as a mold remediator and that is all we used. Dawn, and a 10% solution of bleach. But we also worked with respirators. Bleach will harm your lungs.

There are some "commercial products" that work real well, but you need a license to buy them.

The wife uses the steamer mentioned above. Grout is porous, surface cleaners don't do enough to remove the bacteria in the pores, and then it turns black when it feeds off the normal amount of mold and moisture in the air.

I installed a timer switch(available at Home Depot for about 40$) for the exhaust fan. Set it for 30 minutes to remove the humidity from the shower. Makes all the difference in the world.

OP mentioned the fact that there is no fan, only a window. Well then you need to open the window after a shower to allow the moisture to escape. Yeah, PITA, but that really is the only way to get the moisture out. Mold needs moisture to grow.
thanks for the input. I've actually been having everyone in the family leave it open while showering -- there is a blind so no one can see in anyway -- because I noticed the towels, after being hung over the shower curtain to dry, were smelling a bit funky the next day. One we started leaving the window open most of the time, just locking and shutting it when we're gone or asleep, it has helped a great deal with the towel issue and I am sure that was the cause of the grout issue being so bad too, especially since we just got through our last cold snap (and the windows were staying closed more).

I am hoping it will be better from here on out and I'm going to try whatever I can to prevent it.
I do have a steam cleaner but it's a small hand held thing and needs to be re-filled often. I have used it elsewhere in the bathroom though, I should try it on the grout in the future I suppose!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 07:14 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
How much Dawn in the bleach solution?

Old 05-19-2013, 10:52 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,745,007 times
My mom swears by hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle, so that's what I grew up using.

If I had room to store one, I'd use a steam mop. Though.

Old 05-20-2013, 05:23 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Ladybug. Cleans the living **** out of anything.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:28 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,916,146 times
Don't laugh, because it works.
Herbal Essence Shampoo, undiluted, put on the grout
and leave on for about 30 minutes.
Then, just wipe it off.
Amazing how it cleans, and no scrubbing.
Try it.
Smells good too LOL.

Old 12-05-2014, 02:56 PM

19 posts, read 26,545 times
Yeah bleach is a pretty powerful chemical. Some of my friends have used the Tilex Grout Pen and had lots of success. It looks pretty safe to use and is good for controlling small spots where there is grout. Have you tried Hoover Grout Plus. It's what I use and works pretty well. Here are some more reviews comparing different grout products: bestgroutcleaners.com

Old 04-03-2016, 03:48 AM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonatham View Post
Mildew is one of the most evil allergens, it is toxic and carcinogenic.
This is not true. Every house has mold and mildew in it. It can cause health problems for some people, especially those who are allergic to it or who have certain respiratory problems, especially asthma. Many people are never bothered by it.

Controlling moisture in the home can prevent growth of mold and mildew.

https://www.niehs.nih.gov/health/topics/agents/mold/

Some molds can produce carcinogens, but the likelihood of their being found in a home is low. The common mildew in your shower will not cause cancer.

Old 04-03-2016, 02:14 PM

4,556 posts, read 3,756,246 times
What's a good ceramic grout sealer that you guys use, preferably in spray or aerosol? I have a shower with many 2 inch small tiles, so very difficult to apply sealer with a pen or cloth.

Old 04-04-2016, 01:26 PM

6 posts, read 3,433 times
I had a similar experience last spring with mould from my bathroom and shower grout mildew and I used a mould cleaning spray by HG. It's actually their Bathroom Mould Spray.
Works best by using it neat, it comes in a bottle with a trigger/spray, you don't need to work it in with anything unless there is a particularly stubborn, bad patch. Works great and seems to stop it coming back again.
Also this product is without bleach and without absolutely exhausting amounts of "elbow grease".You can try any good cleaner though from the supermarket but this mould spray it's magic, after 30 minutes all mould and grout mildew was gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House