Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 11:40 AM

20 posts, read 113,668 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

3 sides of the walls (mostly on the top and middle part of the wall) in my basement are wet after rain. All the walls are below grade. There was no sign of water coming from below the basement floor.

I had 3 contractors coming in to see the place. Two of them suggested french drain with 2 sump pumps. The other said that the french drain is mostly for water coming from below the basement. He suggested to do waterproofing from the outside (i.e. dig down, put tarp and mesh on the outside wall of the basement).

I also had an independent house inspector looking at the issue. He said doing it from the outside will not release the pressure of water on the basement foundation. He suggested french drain.

Which method should I use?

Thank you all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 12:32 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Did ANY of them discuss gutters, downspouts and foundation grading?
Start there.

If water has found it's way in once... it'll find it's way again.
This is where the perimeter trench, drain tile, sump and pump come into play.
Have a place for the water to go... and way to get it out.
That's the second step.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Did ANY of them discuss gutters, downspouts and foundation grading?
Start there.

If water has found it's way in once... it'll find it's way again.
This is where the perimeter trench, drain tile, sump and pump come into play.
Have a place for the water to go... and way to get it out.
That's the second step.
Yes, the gutters, downspouts and foundation are all in good condition. So your suggestion is to do perimeter trench and sump pump instead of waterproofing from the outside?

Old 05-22-2013, 01:36 PM

3,968 posts, read 8,498,863 times
If it's the top and middle of the walls that are wet, perimeter trenching (I assume you are talking inside) and sump pump will do nothing until the water reaches below floor level. Your primary goal should be to keep the water from getting in if possible, rather than removing it once it is in.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:46 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,925,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgkg View Post
Yes, the gutters, downspouts and foundation are all in good condition. So your suggestion is to do perimeter trench and sump pump instead of waterproofing from the outside?
Good condition but is the downsprout drain far enough away from the side of the house?

I remember when I purchased my house, I had a water remediation company do an assessment at the seller's expense. I thought there may be a problem with water getting in since there were signs of water penetration on one of the wall. When they came out, they told me to just make sure that drain are far enough away from the side of the house. I've been living at my house for 8 years, never a problem with moisture on walls when I followed that advice.

Old 05-22-2013, 02:43 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgkg View Post
Yes, the gutters, downspouts and foundation (grading & planting) are all in good condition.
I've yet to see even one house where all 3 were all in good condition.
Even if it's just leaves in the gutters... one of the 3 is always amiss.

Quote:
So your suggestion is to do perimeter trench and sump pump...
...if all the surface water from rain etc are being dealt with correctly and completely
then the water that MUST be coming from below needs to be addressed.

Which is the bottom line point: know where the water is coming from.
hth

Old 05-22-2013, 02:58 PM

Thank you, All!

I have checked the downspouts. They are all draining far away from the house to a lower point. The floor on the basement has some minor cracks, and there are no water stains along these cracks. I assume the water is not coming from below. Besides, the other wall on the same level does not have moisture.

I am in Long Island, where the soil is clay, not sand. When it rains, water does not easily flow down and may accumulate around the house. I am not sure whether we should say that water is coming from below. Maybe I should put a sump pump from the outside (just kidding)?

Old 05-22-2013, 05:08 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,034,448 times
I finally gave in and having Dry X pit a perimeter drain trench in with 2 pumps. I dont get alot of water but i dont want any down there and would like to finish it someday.

Honestly, doing it from the outside is probably best, but more expensive and i don't like the idea of excavating around the house

Old 05-22-2013, 07:37 PM

75 posts, read 221,440 times
How much is that going to cost?

Old 05-22-2013, 09:21 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,203,415 times
I had a similar issue with my garage (my house is on a hill and the garage wall is on the "up" side). I had drain tile installed on the outside and also had a downspout drain fixed, also a new foundation barrier. Problem solved. When they dug it up they found there was already drain tile there, but it was completely collapsed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House