Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 10:57 PM

971 posts, read 1,454,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
This was my solution:

Kerosene Heater Manual Siphon Pump

The full five gallon cans are too heavy for me to lift with one hand and hold the spout with the other. Just remove the spout and use the siphon pump to transfer the fuel from can to tank. I think I got mine at one of the big box stores.
This siphon I have been using for at least 10 years for many different solutions and would work for Karen as well. I have one diesel siphon for my Kabota and another gasoline one for my gas powered riding lawnmower. I keep a new spare still in the package for when one quits working for any reason as I live rural and can't run to the store for an immediate replacement.

Glad you had the link for this suzy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 01:03 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,079,840 times
Just an update ... after trying again this morning to get the new gas can to work, I gave up and went to the gas station with the new oil can ... only to find out that gas simply will not dispense into that can because, of course, the spout is too big. (I had thought that MIGHT happen, but I was hopeful ...)

This whole thing has been incredibly frustrating. I will finally have time to go back to the local store where I bought the "new improved" gas can tomorrow so hopefully I'll finally be able to mow my lawn tomorrow afternoon!!!

Old 06-25-2013, 01:44 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,052,566 times
What about water storage containers? Is there some reason they wouldn't work to store gasoline?

6 Gallon Cargo® Water Container

Quote:
Rugged, heavy wall, non-insulated construction Spout makes pouring easy
Spout conveniently stores inside container when not in use Molded-in top and
side handles for pouring and carrying in either direction Pull-up vent
provides smooth water flow.
Another one...... with a shape less likely to tip over:

Amazon.com: 6 Gallon Water Container with Spout: Electronics

Upon reading some rewiews.....looks like people are using these containers for gas.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R1BVISA...R1BVISAQMHLFH2

Last edited by Annie53; 06-25-2013 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: Additional information.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:47 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,771,173 times
Don't use a water can for gas. The plastic is usually different but even if it was ok, gas cans are colored red for a reason. So people know it is gas.

Really it's never a good idea to store something more dangerous than the can markings in case someone who doesn't know picks it up.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:19 PM

Default update!

Just an update. I finally had time this morning to go back to the local store that sold me the gas can (and my riding mower) -- some old guy showed me and the woman at the counter how to use the can. (She was trying to open it the same way I had -- didn't work for either of us!!) I drove home and tried to use it ... it worked but it was just about impossible to control the flow rate and it spilled gas EVERYWHERE -- so much for fewer fumes with these "wonderful" new-style cans!! I gave up, took the whole lid off, and used a funnel ... that was still a bit awkward (it's a 5-gallon can so heavy when full) but at least there was less spillage.

So I was finally able to mow my lawn ... 'til it started raining. At least I got the front lawn done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Don't use a water can for gas. The plastic is usually different but even if it was ok, gas cans are colored red for a reason. So people know it is gas.

Really it's never a good idea to store something more dangerous than the can markings in case someone who doesn't know picks it up.
I understand what you are saying, but I'm going to buy one anyway. We're all adults at my house so no one is ever going to mistake it for water (and of course I can always put a big label on it saying "BEWARE THIS IS REALLY GAS").

Old 06-26-2013, 03:06 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Just an update. I finally had time this morning to go back to the local store that sold me the gas can (and my riding mower) -- some old guy showed me and the woman at the counter how to use the can. (She was trying to open it the same way I had -- didn't work for either of us!!) I drove home and tried to use it ... it worked but it was just about impossible to control the flow rate and it spilled gas EVERYWHERE -- so much for fewer fumes with these "wonderful" new-style cans!! I gave up, took the whole lid off, and used a funnel ... that was still a bit awkward (it's a 5-gallon can so heavy when full) but at least there was less spillage.

So I was finally able to mow my lawn ... 'til it started raining. At least I got the front lawn done.

I understand what you are saying, but I'm going to buy one anyway. We're all adults at my house so no one is ever going to mistake it for water (and of course I can always put a big label on it saying "BEWARE THIS IS REALLY GAS").
Some burglar is going to break into your garage, see the can and take a big drink because he is thirsty from all the work of breaking in. Then he will light a cigarette, blow up his face and sue you. HE will make two claims of negligence. One for putting gas in a water can and one for locking your garage and making him work hard to get in so he was really thirsty. Oh and the label will not work. The burglar is illiterate.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Some burglar is going to break into your garage, see the can and take a big drink because he is thirsty from all the work of breaking in. Then he will light a cigarette, blow up his face and sue you. HE will make two claims of negligence. One for putting gas in a water can and one for locking your garage and making him work hard to get in so he was really thirsty. Oh and the label will not work. The burglar is illiterate.
Spoken like a lawyer ... THAT is what they taught you at my beloved alma mater?

Last edited by karen_in_nh_2012; 06-26-2013 at 04:09 PM..

Old 06-26-2013, 04:02 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Spoken like a lawyer ... THAT is what they taught you at ny beloved alma mater?
No. they just teach you how to think. You learn those kinds of things in the trenches.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:27 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,771,173 times
This is what my can looks like from a few years ago. It seals and has what seems like a child resistant feature.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:51 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,052,566 times
Thankfully, I have three old plastic gas cans.....which I will guard with my life. LOL

If something ever happens to my old cans......I will buy water cans and then buy a roll of red duct tape and have at it......then write GAS on each side with 3/4" inch black tape. No one will mistake THAT for water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House