Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 03:30 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,899,749 times

Advertisements

Wider hallway and stairway. Standard 3' wide, and the stair is even a little narrower. At least the hallway is not long and "Ts" at the end which makes it feel a little larger.

As I design houses/remodels I always try to make the hallways a little larger than standard if I can and imbue them with a feeling of a room like a gallery or library- clients almost universally respond positively to it- I would love to have that in this house.

Most folks would say- "a bigger master bedroom and private bath" but even though it's not ensuite there are only two of us and three bathrooms to choose from so I'll keep the original charming '20s architecture. A garage or driveway large enough that you could actually park a car in would be nice, but again, if I have to trade away any garden for it I would never do it. Protected parking for a car is meh, but a beautiful garden is a joy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 04:29 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
The county it is in. I'd pick up the house and the 96 square mile lake in front of it (thus preserving our view) and probably most of my neighbors and I'd move us all over on the other side of the mountains.

This would not be welcome in my new home, as thousands would be flooded out, so perhaps it is best that I can't.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:41 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
I'd knock off the current 5x5 mud room, and rebuild it to include a coat closet, a pantry, general storage, and a full bath. Maybe 12 x 5 would work; can't be much deeper than 5 feet because of outside access to the basement, but it can be fairly wide.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:13 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Wider hallway and stairway. Standard 3' wide, and the stair is even a little narrower. At least the hallway is not long and "Ts" at the end which makes it feel a little larger.

As I design houses/remodels I always try to make the hallways a little larger than standard if I can and imbue them with a feeling of a room like a gallery or library- clients almost universally respond positively to it- I would love to have that in this house.

Most folks would say- "a bigger master bedroom and private bath" but even though it's not ensuite there are only two of us and three bathrooms to choose from so I'll keep the original charming '20s architecture. A garage or driveway large enough that you could actually park a car in would be nice, but again, if I have to trade away any garden for it I would never do it. Protected parking for a car is meh, but a beautiful garden is a joy.
That is one thing I like about our house--they made the stairways extra wide. As for covered parking being meh--you can say that living in San Diego--try living in the north country with 80+" of snow--a necessity here

Old 07-22-2013, 05:18 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,667,671 times
I would add a couple of glass doors. I have a lot of glass but there is never enough. One off the bedroom and one off the dining room. I think they are in my future...

Old 07-22-2013, 05:24 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,899,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
That is one thing I like about our house--they made the stairways extra wide. As for covered parking being meh--you can say that living in San Diego--try living in the north country with 80+" of snow--a necessity here
I'll give you that- I'm very much a detached or hidden garage snob (for aesthetic reasons) but then I don't really need one. If I would have to trudge through a couple feet of snow in 12˚ temperatures for months at a time then I bet I would very much like an attached garage and my snobbery would summarily cease haha.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:40 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,352,236 times
I would want a larger powder room so that it could easily be made into a full bath and I would want larger closets.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:46 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,670,274 times
Our last purchase (2 years ago, new home) was a buy down so we knowingly sacrificed some things. Primarily garage and master bath size. As it is in an HOA, we could not expand if we wanted to but not a big deal. We knew what we were buying.

PS

My wife disagrees with me. She says all if fine.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:49 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I would like 9 ft ceilings instead of 8 ft ceilings. This house suffers from narrow halls and narrow doorways too, but if I could just change the ceiling height it would help add a feeling of spaciousness.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:53 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
The property tax rate, ha ha.

The one thing I probably won't change that I'd like to is the size of the two smallest bedrooms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House