Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 01:04 AM

396 posts, read 1,852,629 times

Advertisements

I'm a first time house buyer. A house that interests me has a very small creek the flows out back (not a part of the house's property). However, I know that there are critters in the area that use the water. Squirrels, mice/rats, raccoons, possoms, golphers, moles, etc. The backyard has a tall wooden fence separating the yard from the creek area. Even though there's not more than a centimeter gap between the planks, most critters can burrow under or climb over it.

I'm wondering if critters are more likely to venture inside a house due to the house's proximity to the creek?

Have you ever lived by a creek? Did critters show up in your home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 02:28 AM

794 posts, read 1,671,135 times
I have and no it wasn't an issue but a blessing.

Old 08-02-2013, 02:32 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,207,141 times
Yes we do and no, there is no more evidence of critters than anyplace we've lived without water.
Except in Florida....there is the occasional alligator but still never in the house

Old 08-02-2013, 05:05 AM

1,256 posts, read 4,196,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky-Blue View Post
Squirrels, mice/rats, raccoons, possoms, golphers, moles, etc.
I do not live near a creek, small or otherwise. We have almost all those creatures plus more (albeit, never saw a rat, have to admit and only smelled a skunk but never saw one on-property). We also have deer and foxes, once or twice a turkey, vultures, crows, and a hawk frequently - among others. Right now (literally right now - I'm looking out my front window) we have a plague of cute little bunnies.

In the suburbs.

Not near a creek.

Quote:
I'm wondering if critters are more likely to venture inside a house due to the house's proximity to the creek?
No, their venturing into your house will have nothing to do with the creek.

Quote:
Have you ever lived by a creek?
Yes.

Quote:
Did critters show up in your home?
Yes, but see above.

Old 08-02-2013, 05:25 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
The most prevalent animal we see are deer who walk along the creek at the back of our property line. They never showed up in our home.

In my experience, regular old squirrels are more rude and persistent about getting into your house than creek critters.

ONE TIME in 10 years here I looked out the kitchen window and saw a snapping turtle in the flower bed. I went outside, picked it up with a shovel (it weighed a TON), and took it back to the creek.

The main thing you need to worry about is whether the house is in a flood plain.

Old 08-02-2013, 06:34 AM

22,594 posts, read 47,689,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sullyguy View Post
I do not live near a creek, small or otherwise. We have almost all those creatures plus more (albeit, never saw a rat, have to admit and only smelled a skunk but never saw one on-property). We also have deer and foxes, once or twice a turkey, vultures, crows, and a hawk frequently - among others. Right now (literally right now - I'm looking out my front window) we have a plague of cute little bunnies.
Yes, but see above.

Same here... do not live near a creek and still have all those animals (except a rat).
We also have voles and chipmunks; a bobcat and/or snake will show up occasionally, and last week my suburban neighborhood was abuzz with a baby black bear sighting.

Old 08-02-2013, 06:49 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,827,984 times
My parents house is on a small creek, it serves as the rear boundary for their property. Never had a problem while I lived there or since.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:33 AM

1,256 posts, read 4,196,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
still have all those animals (except a rat).
I'm actually a little curious about why I've never seen a rat - possums, chipmunks, mice, even raccoons, but never a rat. I doubt they're any better at being sneaky than a mouse, chipmunk, or possum.

Maybe they prefer living nearer the shops a couple thousand feet away?

Old 08-02-2013, 08:35 AM

22,594 posts, read 47,689,519 times
IDK... but it IS odd.

We have a field mouse in the house right now... somehow he is avoiding the traps.

Oh, I forgot another animal... the family of groundhogs that live two doors down!

Old 08-02-2013, 09:10 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
I don't live near a creek and I've got the following in or near my yard: deer, skunks, raccoons, groundhogs, foxes, mice, rats (I've never seen one, but I know they're there; they always are), snakes, opossums, spiders, crickets, Japanese beetles, squash bugs, stink bugs, centipedes, flies, fleas, gnats, fruit flies, sewer flies, bees, hornets, wasps, cicada wasps, some weird bug that lives on the bathroom windowsill that I have no idea what it is, a pretty black beetle with red stripes, squirrels, chipmunks, cardinals, sparrows, blue jays, pigeons, mourning doves, titmice, robins, chickadees, hawks, falcons, vultures, wrens, woodpeckers, nuthatches, finches, juncoes, the occasional goose or duck, sometimes a lost seagull or two.

Why do you ask?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House