Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 09:13 AM

675 posts, read 1,817,085 times

Advertisements

My sister house is at the corner of the intersection, therefore there's a lot of people make u-turn on her driveway.

She said some women in the area when they drop their kids for school bus everyday, they always back their car on her driveway, some other strangers pull the whole car in to the driveway like it's their house then back out.

What will you do when you're in this situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 09:16 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,689,621 times
I would consider the actual cost to me of having this happen. How is this harmful to me?

And I can think of no such cost. Why can't people turn around in my driveway?

I guess if your sister is really troubled, she could park her car at the far end of the driveway, thus blocking others from turning around. Or she could buy a few orange cones to put out there (but then she would have to move them when she went in and out, and I guess that would be more annoying.)

Old 08-15-2013, 09:19 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,437,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
I would consider the actual cost to me of having this happen. How is this harmful to me?

And I can think of no such cost. Why can't people turn around in my driveway?

I guess if your sister is really troubled, she could park her car at the far end of the driveway, thus blocking others from turning around. Or she could buy a few orange cones to put out there (but then she would have to move them when she went in and out, and I guess that would be more annoying.)
That pretty much sums it up. Either live with it or take some easy, low cost, inoffensive action.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:20 AM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,317 posts, read 8,657,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBy View Post
What will you do when you're in this situation?
Wave

Old 08-15-2013, 09:21 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,933,459 times
Start with a Private property NO U TURN sign.

If it really bother her that much, maybe spend the money and put up a gate. I've seen it done with a home near my house.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:21 AM

675 posts, read 1,817,085 times
She just spent $4000 for her driveway last month, that's why she concerns about this issue.

She doesn't want to be selfish or rude, but some people are ignorant, they don't care about someone's property.

Is is legally if she puts the orange cones or some obstacles, chains, yellow stripes ... to block the driveway?

Old 08-15-2013, 09:34 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,889,616 times
Quote:
She just spent $4000 for her driveway last month, that's why she concerns about this issue.

She doesn't want to be selfish or rude, but some people are ignorant, they don't care about someone's property.

Is is legally if she puts the orange cones or some obstacles, chains, yellow stripes ... to block the driveway?
I can relate to her problem. I think I'd try an orange cone first and if that didn't work add a post on each side of the drive with a chain stretched across. That would get their attention because of possible damage to their car if they ran into the chain.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:50 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,504,441 times
Quote:

I don't mind someone turning around using our driveway but this doesn't happen on daily basis so I can understand. Try first a sign first that says no turning or something.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:54 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,498,864 times
There is a house near a farm in my town that has this huge horseshoe driveway. I accidentally missed the turn for the farm as it comes right after a blind corner. So I pulled in the driveway and as I made my way around I noticed huge barrels with flowers and stuff in them blocking the exit. Thankfully my car is thin and I made it between them on the edge. Basically gave the finger to the homeowner. If your that concerned about people using your driveway so often, then either remove that part of the driveway or put up some kind of full blockage. A gate, chain, etc. However just know that when you need to get out, you have to stop the car, remove said barrier, pull out, park car in the road and put the barrier back. Have fun doing this in the rain, snow, storms, etc. Unless you go pricey and get an automated gate.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:08 AM

23,602 posts, read 70,436,018 times
Automatic gate. If only for liability purposes. If a child is walking and someone backs into them while using the drive, there is homeowner liability. The driveway would be classified as an "attractive nuisance." Putting out cones is a recognition of the problem and could backfire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House