Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 07:02 PM

396 posts, read 1,852,462 times

Advertisements

Most people would rather not live in a house that needed window bars, but reality is that many have them. Is it a deterrent?
Do home owners in areas with burglaries feel a little more secure having window bars versus not having them installed?

Last edited by Sky-Blue; 08-18-2013 at 08:32 PM.. Reason: Re-phrased the questions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 08:16 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Wouldn't buy and live in a neighborhood with that kind of known activity-

So I guess the bars would be a non-issue.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:34 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,225,324 times
We have 4 large windows in our ground floor master bedroom. We have window bars on 2 of them, but unlike most who have them, we have the bars on the inside. We have drapes across all 4 windows and during the day, we open the drapes on the unbarred windows to let daylight in and enjoy the view. For approximately half the year we open the other drapes at night, as well as the windows behind them. We both enjoy sleeping with crisp, cool air coming in and we wouldn't be comfortable sleeping with open windows if they didn't have bars - regardless of the neighborhood.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:58 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,358,901 times
Personally, I think they're very ugly. Where I live, you will see houses with and without them, but I live in a big city. My neighborhood is relatively safe but it seems like some people just prefer to have them on the windows. I will say certain cultures in my neighborhood seem to cover their house in bars---looks terrible. If houses do have bars where I am, the majority of them only have bars on the first floor or basement windows and some of them look better than others.

If I was buying a house, it'd be a deterrent. But based on MY area, some decent looking bars on a first floor or basement wouldn't be a complete "no" if I was buying something.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:29 PM

396 posts, read 1,852,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
If I was buying a house, it'd be a deterrent.
I should've re-phrased that question better. I really meant: Do window bars deter break-ins from burglars?

Old 08-19-2013, 07:01 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,494,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky-Blue View Post
I should've re-phrased that question better. I really meant: Do window bars deter break-ins from burglars?
Burglars are going to look for the easiest target. If your home has bars on the windows, they will look for the home without bars on the windows. If your home has a security system, they are likely going to target the home next door without the security system. Ultimately, however, there is no such thing as a burglar-proof home.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:54 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,436,754 times
Quote:
Yes it is a deterrent. Might it also be a deterrent to escaping your house in a fire?

Old 08-19-2013, 09:09 AM

3,608 posts, read 7,924,409 times
A sign from a burglar alarm company is a deterrent.

Window bars are an obstacle.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:42 AM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Most people would rather not live in a house that needed window bars, but reality is that many have them.

Many??
I have never been in a house that has them.
I have only seen them in crime-riddled neighborhoods.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:30 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,653,036 times
No idea if they're effective, but it seems to me as if most windows bars are from an era when both violent and non-violent crime were literally nearly twice as high. The decrease in crime over the last 20 years, coupled with increasing affordability of home security systems, has made a big difference in the perceived need for those types of unattractive, in-your-face security measures. I live in an attractive, historic, and relatively safe neighborhood. There is still one house on my street with bars on their windows, which is surrounded by nicer houses with nicer cars out front, none of which have bars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House